Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #1

Buying USED Coach Long Distance -- RV Inspection

I've searched this forum and wasn't able to find a national company that does Motor Home inspections. Tried to google, and finally came across the "Lemon Squad" who does used car inspections. Called them, and they also do Motor Home inspections anywhere in the country for a reasonable price (cheaper than most airline tickets or driving long distances). Just wanted to let others know so they don't have to waste hours like I did trying to find someone.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good find, thanks for posting up.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:14 AM   #3

There's also "RV Survey"
RVSurvey - Pre-purchase RV inspection

Through their affiliates, they do Texas, Arizona, California, Florida and North/South Carolina. The one I know is the guy from Florida who also does marine surveys of yachts. I'm very happy to get that kind of in-depth inspection.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'll be curious how they do for you? I thought about using them on a used car and through my research I struggled with getting comfortable.

I would also look for a mobile RV service or a Cummins Coach Care facility in the area.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #5

Thanks for the additional info on inspectors. I needed one in MN so RV Survey wouldn't have worked. I'll let you know what I think of the Lemon Squad once complete ... which will be kind of subjective on how well they did since I still had not seen, drove the coach, or tried any of the appliances/satellite. The list of stuff they check was extensive and included more than I would have checked had I been able to be at the coach myself. I do hope it works as buying a coach long distance is tough as pictures kind of make the coach look better than it actually is, you can't touch and feel appliances/items, and can't see what kind of shape the windows are in, etc.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for sharing the info.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:49 PM   #7

Some feedback. The inspection was completed the day after I made the order. It looks pretty thorough pointing (4 pages of stuff that was rated Good, Issues, NA) out what they found that was damaged or not working. Mostly scratches on interior woodwork and a tear on the carpet on the far side of the bedroom. They did drive the coach and noted no issues in the way it ran or shift gears. Brakes were nice and firm. Also pointed out some chipping on the outside and signs of fading and rust. Provided pictures of all the not so good stuff. This is an 2005 coach w/42,000 miles (3 year old tires) and they graded it a B out of A,B,C,D,E,F. That sounds okay for a 9 year old coach?

What I couldn't find they checked was the roof (I'd think that'd be pretty important) and the generator to include the HOB hours. The pictures showed it was raining the day checked, and there was no mention on the quality of the awnings. Perhaps because of the rain they didn't check?

Overall, I'm satisfied, but did shoot them a message and asked questions on the items mentioned above that I couldn't find in the report.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you buy it, once you get it please provide an update on your observations compared to the report. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tprochaz View Post
Thanks for the additional info on inspectors. I needed one in MN so RV Survey wouldn't have worked. I'll let you know what I think of the Lemon Squad once complete ... which will be kind of subjective on how well they did since I still had not seen, drove the coach, or tried any of the appliances/satellite. The list of stuff they check was extensive and included more than I would have checked had I been able to be at the coach myself. I do hope it works as buying a coach long distance is tough as pictures kind of make the coach look better than it actually is, you can't touch and feel appliances/items, and can't see what kind of shape the windows are in, etc.
I can see how RV Survey wouldn't work for you because of location. It's my understanding that Texas, Arizona, California, Florida and North/South Carolina are the highest sales areas for used RV's, that's why they operate in those areas.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
If you buy it, once you get it please provide an update on your observations compared to the report. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
I'll certainly do that. RV Survey provided a 21 page detailed report of everything from engine and running gear to whether the linens on the bed matched the decor. I thought it was an incredibly detailed report. Out of this huge report, the following items were noted as needing attention, so that should give you some idea of what they provide. I'll let you know how this report correlates with my personal inspection.

Note: Small scratches on the front. Left front bay door dent. Chip on drivers step. Scratches by door steps.
Note: Radio antenna loose and CB antenna in bay.
Note: (Awning) Remote control battery dead.
Note: Master bedroom door missing and master closet veneer loose.
Note: Carpet dirty.
Stove: Amana Automatic Igniter present (handle broken).
Air Conditioner #1 filter dirty
Note: Satellite and VCR present and operating but not responding.
Note: Light rust around bays and under side.
Age of tires: 34/04 (replacement recommended)
Note: The mufflers are corroded and the left tail pipe has a hole. There was a small oil stain on the front of the engine by the seal.
Comments: Generator Not Starting required cable adjustment.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
How much were the surveys by RV Survey and Lemon Squad?
Old 04-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
RV Survey list $300.00 plus mileage on their website but nothing states where the mileage starts from. Were there any additional or hidden cost? Has anyone else had experience with RV Survey or other RV inspection co's they can provide some insight on? Thanks for info.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludiver View Post
How much were the surveys by RV Survey and Lemon Squad?
I have not yet contacted Lemon Squad but I did reach out to RV Survey in regard to the cost of an inspection in Central Florida and I was very put off by their reply.

There website states that their cost does not include travel time, which is perfectly reasonable. As a general mileage cost could be applied to other motorhomes in other locations, I asked about the travel cost for a location 150 miles from the inspectors home location. I had expected a reply to be something along the line of X amount per mile or even a range based upon distance or location.

Without going into detail, what I received back was a very curt response that I did not include the specific city, so contact their local affiliate.

It left me thinking that if they respond to perspective customers this way, how might they respond to a customer who has already paid and has a problem.

I sent a copy of their reply to their affiliate for that area and asked him for travel cost information. Hopefully I'll hear back soon.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludiver View Post
RV Survey list $300.00 plus mileage on their website but nothing states where the mileage starts from. Were there any additional or hidden cost? Has anyone else had experience with RV Survey or other RV inspection co's they can provide some insight on? Thanks for info.
That's a good point. RV Survey lists $300. However, RV Survey itself only does Texas. All the other states are done by their "affiliates" and may have other prices. In my case it was Florida and he charged $400 for the actual survey and then an additional $100 for travel. Total of $500.