Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #15
Country Coach Owners Club
rv.org is THE place to go on all things rv. Pay what ever they're asking it's the best money you'll spend on your rv. Then go to oodle.com plug in what you're looking for and check the right boxes and they'll send you daily updates. They search all over the web.
Good Luck

pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
Originally Posted by 6mm
What are some of the advantages of buying a used DP (if any)
Cost,taxes,most bugs are fixed,some good mods may have been done by previous owner.
I am thinking of buying used and any ideas would help.

We have JUST gone through this WHOLE process. Whew!!! We looked for several months at many makes and models. I will share what our journey looked liked. I found this forum early on and they were/are the BEST help. One thing I have found is that RV people are nicer than your neighbors. Glad they will be our new neighbors. We drove for miles, made phone calls all over the US, visited several dealers in person (some multiple times), and some over the Internet.

The overall 1st rule of thumb is to know what you can afford. I would highly suggest a used coach. Generally unless you have plenty of money, that is the wisest choice. You will learn as you go and find new likes n dislikes along the way. 2. Find a floor plan that you like. There is no perfect one--believe me--I looked. After looking at lots, we came down to a handful of must have's and a handful of really wants. I heard on this forum.... When you find your coach, you'll know it. It was certainly true for us. So don't settle or try and talk yourself into a coach. Some makes/models may be more popular than others but the floor plan is what you will have to live with. We went back a few years to afford a quality model. Found a great coach from an individual owner. Had everything we wanted and needed. Hang in there....

2007 Monaco Executive, 45'. Director and Assistant Director for a non-profit.
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #17
I know that most are saying buy used, and I get that - the prices can be very attractive. But we've found that the incredible advance in features and layouts of the new ones were just too much to resist. And while you can't get a new one at 1/3 price, we did manage to find what we wanted at 1/3 off list. I'd second the idea of finding a floorplan you like first, then make your move. I have to admit, we screwed up on that before we bought this one. We bought despite floorplan and 18 months later we were trading!

One last thought - we bought a just introduced model once (not just floorplan - new chassis, motor, etc.). Not a good idea. I thought new motorcycle models had shakedown issues for the first year or two but it was nothing compared to the constant problems with that unit.
TexasSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not specific to DPs but in some states (at least IL) buying a used MH from a private party can save a lot of cash in tax. In IL, anything bought from a private party with a value of over $30K is a flat $1500 tax. Of course, there is no trade in allowance in that case. If you live in IL, it doesn't matter where you go to buy it either.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #19
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Not specific to DPs but in some states (at least IL) buying a used MH from a private party can save a lot of cash in tax. In IL, anything bought from a private party with a value of over $30K is a flat $1500 tax. Of course, there is no trade in allowance in that case. If you live in IL, it doesn't matter where you go to buy it either.
some states have no tax for vehicles purchased from private parties, for example az and nv. that gives more thirst to buy a "top shape" used.
2000 Country Coach Intrigue 40'
CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:03 AM   #20
Originally Posted by HD4Mark
I think you bought a fine MH. My opinion may be bias though
As may mine lol
WannaFTit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:06 AM   #21
The key for a used DP is what condition it's actually in.

I looked for over 3 years and it's criminal just how some people keep them. I keep remembering a beautiful older American Coach that was such a mess -- with a tree growing out of the sink. I kid you not. I don't get it - you pay so much for these rigs and to just let them deteriorate is terrible. A combination of research and luck with finding a well-cared for rig is the win/win you'll be looking for.

I looked for quite some time for a great used DP that matched our list of wants. I'm in the Northeast, so not a whole lot out there and we needed to do a trade which limited us to dealerships. Ended up with a brand new gas rig that has been fantastic - rides well, drives well and I have a lot of the bells/whistles of a DP (porcelain tile floors/backsplash, wood cabinets, fireplace, etc.). Love it!

You'll know when you find it. I would definitely get a second opinion on how well it's been kept since there's a lot of things you can't "see" (engine, undercarriage, etc.).

Best of luck in your search!
2016 American Coach Revolution 42T
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:30 AM   #22
We bought a used pusher off e bay from a dealer in FL auctioning reprocessed coaches.Many coaches went into foreclosure during our recession.
dshomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:33 AM   #23
Buy a foreclosed DP off e bay. Dealers in Fl are selling pushers for the banks that reprocessed them.
dshomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #24
My concern with repo's has been that if there is no money available to make the payments then it is unlikely that any money is going into maintenance. On the other hand, at 8 MPG in a non-essential vehicle it is unlikely that much money is going into the gas tank either, making maintenance a somewhat moot point.

How did you make out with those EBay purchases? Were you able to inspect closely before biding?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #25
Re: the Ebay purchase. You are entitled to a thorough on the spot inspection prior to handing over your check. If (when?) you find something upsetting that was not mentioned in the advertisement, you have good cause to renegotiate or walk away from it. The gamble obviously, is your transportation to/from that inspection.... and your ability to perform that inspection to a level where if something happens 20 miles down the road you won't feel you were burnt? -Al
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #26
We moved up from a 5th wheel to a class A and purchased from a dealer on Ebay. We selected the make and model as the result of our years seeing and talking to owners of various DPs in the camp grounds we stayed at.

We bought an older DP in a distant location. The dealer buys off lease higher end cars and motor homes that have been traded in on new ones. The RV dealers don't want to handle older units so they're sold to smaller dealers like this one for resale. Our coach had one prior owner from new. They required a very small deposit with balance paid upon inspection and delivery. Ebay feedback of the seller was a factor. I flew out to pick it up and drove it 2,200 miles home with no issues. The coach had been inspected and fluids/filters changed prior to pickup. I did replace 2 tires before leaving on the 10 day trip.

Even with the expense of tires, airfare and fuel cost coming home (I made a mini-vacation of it) we paid less than the cost of a new pickup truck. We've since travelled another 800 miles, camped at state parks and have plans to travel to Mexico this winter. It's been everything is was represented to be and we're thrilled with it

Good luck in whatever you chose

1998 Newmar Dutch Star, 3126B Cat/ Freightliner
2003 Honda Element
" Don't let the same dog bite you twice "
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote