Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
6mm

Buying used DP question

What are some of the advantages of buying a used DP (if any)
Cost,taxes,most bugs are fixed,some good mods may have been done by previous owner.
I am thinking of buying used and any ideas would help.
Thanks
6mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

My main reason is that I get a lot more for my money. I can buy a used, high end model instead of a new, low-mid range model. In addition, I believe I reduce the risk of substantial problems if I buy a late model used RV (I owned one new one that like to drove me nuts for the first year!). I don't necessarily save money on taxes since I spend the same amount I would have for a new one (this might differ in states with a personal property tax).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
when we were looking we went to a lot of shows and such. My wife was leaning toward sportcoach and Berkshire, and stretching into tuscany. they had floorplans she liked a lot.
Some searching found an 08 monaco knight for the same money as a new (2011) sportcoach, 10 times the quality, better engine, trans, chassis, better everything. We bought the monaco and have no regrets.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Community Moderator

agree with gary, it's all about getting the best bang for the buck. a diesel engine below than 100kmi has just passed break-in, and a well cared used coach could just be like a new. if doing it right, getting a used unit could save you huge - for my 12 year old, i spent $s equivalent to about 20% of the out-of-door price when new (not considering inflation, just "dollar to dollar").

from another angle to see this, you may be taking a risk to get a used, namely no warranty if too old like mine. but if you are familiar with diesel engines, and like the floor plan, you should be good to go (make sure to do a PPI).
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #5

The less you figure you need factory warranty, the more work you are able/willing to do on it yourself, the more sense used brings much more bang for the buck.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
6mm

Thanks guys for all the info I will make it a point to not let a good used DP go buy without being looked at.
6mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
For us we went from a class C we bought new to a DP we planned to use 6 months a year. That meant a fairly large and full of amenities rig. No way did we want to be strangled with a payment then as we were looking at (and did) retirement. As said diesels can go lots of miles and ours was pretty low. They have a lot of power and the noise is way behind you as you drive.

If you are worried about catastrophic failure what we did was bite the bullet and buy an extended warranty for the first year. Did use if for the fridge but no engine problems. It was nice peace of mind. We also bought from a dealer that took care of all the little problems it had when we first picked it up.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #8

While at a manufacture's in plant tour a few years ago, we actually had the tour guide say, it was best to purchase a coach about 18 months old if you don't want to deal with the many problems a new unit would likely have. As he said these are extremely complex vehicles and it's difficult if not impossible to get everything right the first time. This tour was pre 2008 and I suspect the manufacturers that survived have tightneed up the quality control, but for me, buying used still makes sense.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm View Post
Cost,taxes,most bugs are fixed,some good mods may have been done by previous owner.
Thanks
Check out this site. I purcahsed this data base during our search and feel it was the best thing I could have done to narrow my search.

RV Consumer Group - RV Links
Old 09-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Much bigger bang for the buck. Most maintained deisels have all the service records right on the computer. Just took ours in for routine maintenance, mechanic showed me the file on mine.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpncrsaider View Post
Much bigger bang for the buck. Most maintained deisels have all the service records right on the computer. Just took ours in for routine maintenance, mechanic showed me the file on mine.
I think you bought a fine MH. My opinion may be bias though
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

We bought new and if I had it to do over again, I would buy a slightly used coach... for all the reasons the OP cites.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1/3rd the new cost. Mine was 4 yrs old when we bought it with 25,000 mile. It looked like new and drove even better. I had a extend service contract for the first year as it was a bank repo and I had no serivice info. I now self insure as it runs great and evertything works. Brought it home and changed all the fluids and did a chasis lube. New tires in 2010.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45

Check out this site. I purcahsed this data base during our search and feel it was the best thing I could have done to narrow my search.

Originally Posted by 6mm
Thanks

Unfortunately you have to purchase a membership to see the ratings.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote