RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2019, 10:12 PM   #1

Buying used. What to expect?

Hello all. The wife and I had searched and researched and found what we thought was a coach that checked all the boxes for us. Had private inspection done today and fluids pulled and sent for analysis. Question for the crowd is if you bought used coach what kind of expectations should a guy have as far as work needing to be done on coach out of the gate. Inspector pointed out a fairly lengthy list of what I would call minor items. Couple pieces of weather strip missing, ac covers broken, roof needing resealed. Along with a couple big ticket items that the dealer told us up front didn’t work but said they would be fixed before we picked up unit. Trying to figure out how much of this I should expect to be able to have repaired without me having to pay for it.

RG0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2019, 10:16 PM   #2

Firstly, good job for paying for an inspection! All coaches will have “minor” issues. You need to figure out what it’s worth to you. If you’re handy, then minor things can be fixed easily. If you’re not then...

justinpirie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:29 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Might want to sit down with the dealer and get a list of just exactly which items they are willing to repair - and which ones they are not - in writing before you accept delivery.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:38 PM   #4

Yeah I plan to talk to dealer and see just how much they are willing to do. It is a consignment coach so they will probably have to negotiate with owner. Not sure. But this dealer does have a service center so general repairs only cost the labor rate they pay the tech. That may work in my favor.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:47 PM   #5

Part of the equation for me is, how much work are you willing to do yourself, assuming the consignment seller is willing to lower the price.

Roof reseals are relatively common, and are generally pretty easy to perform. A/C covers are costly, and are simple to install. The weatherstripping (for me) is a bigger deal. Depending on the age on the coach, they can be easy or harder to get.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:55 PM   #6
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We bought our MH from a CAT service engineer who kept meticulous records of service. And our MH would have been judged to have been in excellent condition when we bought it. Despite that there were things that had been overlooked; nothing all that serious, but things that needed to be fixed, nonetheless.

To provide a specific example, although our MH had been switched to Transynd transmission fluid, the previous owner hadn't switched the cooling system to extended life coolant. That caused some surprise at our dealership since by the time we bought it in 2011 most MH owners had switched to ELC. Not that there was anything wrong with using glycol coolant and adding SCA's but it was surprising to see that an otherwise meticulous owner wouldn't have made that change.

Those sorts of things usually aren't serious; just accept them and go forward and enjoy your new coach.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Doesn’t sound like your mechanically inclined. The good news is a Neptune is not as complicated as rigs further up the food change. The white thread on the slide toppers gives up at 10 years but the fabric is still good so having them resewn is fairly inexpensive if you remove them yourself.

There is a possibility that a 08 will have a 06 engine...no wires going to the thing that looks like a muffler so no regeneration.

Overall I’m very happy with the quality of my 08 Navigator...have not had any problems with the multiplex system helps on that assessment.

PS: I tow a V with only the rear tires on the ground but not on a dolly. Towing something on a dolly with even a PU truck can be interesting but behind a MH is not an issue.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:55 AM   #8

Exciting times!

The roof reseal and weather stripping should be done soon. Water damage can get exspensive and painful to correct.

I'd suggest you list what MH you're getting and what the big ticket items are. That way folks here can chime in on if any of them are known to be a problem that will keep happening.

You want to make sure the dealer fixes them correctly instead of just good enough to get you out the door knowing it will fail again in a few months.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #9

The unit is an 08 HR Neptune 35 SBD. The big ticket items are the fridge not working, and dash ac blows hot. The fridge can be 3-4 thousand and the dash ac can run 1000-1500 depending on what they find. Most everything else is what I would call minor and I am pretty good with my hands. Was a car mechanic an electrician and now am a trucker that had a small fleet of 6 until I lost faith in humanity and got rid of the headaches and went back to counting on myself only. Smile more now and no more blood pressure meds. Thing is that after dropping a significant down payment and signing up for monthly’s I don’t want to have to drop several thousand into overlooked maintenance just to be in a good place to start. Hopefully dealer will step up.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG0403 View Post
The unit is an 08 HR Neptune 35 SBD. The big ticket items are the fridge not working, and dash ac blows hot. The fridge can be 3-4 thousand and the dash ac can run 1000-1500 depending on what they find. Most everything else is what I would call minor and I am pretty good with my hands. Was a car mechanic an electrician and now am a trucker that had a small fleet of 6 until I lost faith in humanity and got rid of the headaches and went back to counting on myself only. Smile more now and no more blood pressure meds. Thing is that after dropping a significant down payment and signing up for monthly’s I don’t want to have to drop several thousand into overlooked maintenance just to be in a good place to start. Hopefully dealer will step up.
Go back with a residential fridge
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #11

Not sure where some of those numbers are coming from. I don't see how the fridge would cost that much unless you are replacing with new and they remove the windshield to get the job done. A/C estimate seems way out of the ball park. What's wrong with the A/C? How much do you trust the dealership? We compared fixing a used coach was way cheaper than buying new. As to the oil test, an inspector told me an owner could have the oil changed just before putting the coach on the lot and the test may or may not show any problems, something to keep in mind. How close are you to where you are buying this coach? Are you close enough to return the coach for shoddy repairs? Half the "techs" can't tell the time of day these days. On a '08 there will be kids working on this that may not have the skills. I have had shops tell me that things can't be fixed, when in fact they could if you find someone that knows what they're doing. We bought used on consignment, but, we put aside $50k for any problems, which was half of buying new and possibly still ending up with a piece of crap. REV now owns HR, good luck with them. HR's are good motorhomes and worth fixing. Having met many of the old guys that built these back in the day tell me to keep it and repair it, nothing out there compares under a million dollars plus. Your biggest problem will be finding a good shop that knows what they're doing.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
45 ft., tag axle, ISM500
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #12

The numbers I used were price new for fridge. AC depending on diagnosis. I own semis and if compressor and filters need replaced it will be 1000-1200. Can’t imagine aDP motorhome being any less. Of course that is looking at things as worst possible outcome. Could be a lot less.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:29 AM   #13
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmiester View Post
A/C estimate seems way out of the ball park. What's wrong with the A/C?
Two years ago I paid that much to repair the A/C on my 20 yr old DP. Compressor, receiver/dryer and some other stuff plus the cost of freon. Lots of things go bad after 20 years. If you don't fix it all then something else will fail and you're out all the freon and the associated labor. I know because that's what happened to me.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG0403 View Post
The numbers I used were price new for fridge. AC depending on diagnosis. I own semis and if compressor and filters need replaced it will be 1000-1200. Can’t imagine aDP motorhome being any less. Of course that is looking at things as worst possible outcome. Could be a lot less.
We paid nearly that much for a 4 door fridge with water and ice, go residential or you will regret it

Tags
buying