Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We used to be able to use two A/C units on our Tiffin on 30 amps (and on our current coach, but not all three)
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2015, 05:52 PM   #16

I have three 15000 btu AC units. Each unit draws 16 amps. That is just to much to run two units on a 30 amp circuit. It would have been better if the middle unit was 13000 btu unit, then I would be able to run two units on a 30 amp circuit.
Project for the future I guess - replace the middle 15000 btu AC with a 13000 btu unit 😁
Old 11-28-2015, 06:11 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
A word of caution - I had a bad experience when ordering a replacement rooftop air unit (Coleman) from an RV parts supplier. Price was good, however the box wasn't up to the rigors of shipping. The A/C unit was pretty beat up inside the falling-apart box. Due to an impending trip departure, I ended up straightening the bent chassis and using it anyway. Been working fine for two summers now, so all's well I guess.

But IMHO if you're ordering online it's worth asking how it's packaged for shipping. Were I to do it again, I might buy locally - it might be worth the extra $$ just so that I could inspect it before accepting it at the store. That way returning a bent-up unit would be the store's problem and not mine...
Old 11-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
How did you run the wiring to the roof openings? I suspect through the roof ducting, but you may have a better way.
The power was fed from the existing basement air breakers at the foot of bed . Went forward under carpet ,removed a panel in forward wall and then up to ceiling and into overhead central air duct on driver side. Ran a set of dead wires from breaker box all the way to front of coach, also inside ductwork, just in case we later decided we wanted to add a third unit. More than likely not going to need it , but already in place . the thermostat wires are small, like telephone wires so they were easy to install behind the panel. the thermostat will handle up to 4 units so no problem there. hardest part was finding latches for outside compartment. Correction on my previous posts: Work was done by Texas Country RV, Canyon Lake ,TX. ,( Not Canyon Lake RV.) Joe Ruff is the owner and very capable.
capnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #19

I just dont understand this, my Vectra is 20 years old and on a 20 amp outlet we could hang meat in the coach last July 4th with only one side running? Maybe its because we are still running the older evil Freon that actually works versus the new stuff. If ours dies I will re-invent the wheel to repair it before I throw a roof AC on my coach and have water running down the sides and listen to those things shake the roof. If I want that Ill go back to a travel trailer. Sorry to sound negative but is it really that hard to find someone that really knows what they are doing to fix a technology that's nearly 100 years old?
Old 12-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectraguy View Post
I just dont understand this, my Vectra is 20 years old and on a 20 amp outlet we could hang meat in the coach last July 4th with only one side running? Maybe its because we are still running the older evil Freon that actually works versus the new stuff. If ours dies I will re-invent the wheel to repair it before I throw a roof AC on my coach and have water running down the sides and listen to those things shake the roof. If I want that Ill go back to a travel trailer. Sorry to sound negative but is it really that hard to find someone that really knows what they are doing to fix a technology that's nearly 100 years old?
There are a lot of things in this world we don't understand friend. But one thing I understand, is that I fix, or have fixed, things the way I want them. We can still run one unit on 20 amp and will cool very nicely, but I don't really care , as we only use 30 amp at our sticks and stucco and 50amp when on the road. My post was meant for those thinking about changing ,not those who would never change. Who knows what another 20 yrs. technology will bring? I hope you will be here to see, I'm pretty sure I will not.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
We actually LIKE the noise the overhead makes

In fact, we usually have the bedroom unit on fan even when using the other two as heat pumps...

It's the old constant white noise versus the dead silence and the unit cycles on and off or when things go bump in the night thingy

people partying later than us ,
coming into the next site late at night,
storms during the night, etc...
I know I would enjoy quiet, but even when we are in the middle of nowhere, it's never seems quiet where we end up.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:16 AM   #22

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Put me in the NEVER AGAIN camp for basement air. Here are some facts:
1) Duct runs up rear cap to ceiling distribution. Humidity cause that rear duct to open. Repair required removing the rear cap. Could have bought a roof air just for that cost.
2) Any A/C guy with a set of gauges and a vacuum pump can repair a roof unit. They look at the basement air and run.
3) Storage is a premium, no matter how you travel and in what. Why take a big chunk of basement for something that travels well on the roof.
4) The basement unit was right under my pillow. I would rather deal with the overhead purrrrr than that.
5) My Newmar with ducted roof air is awesome in both performance and ease of access.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #23

My ac did not run up the rear cap. But, with slide outs being placed everywhere I can see why manufacturer's had to end up going that route and are now using more roof air.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:47 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectraguy View Post
My ac did not run up the rear cap. But, with slide outs being placed everywhere I can see why manufacturer's had to end up going that route and are now using more roof air.
off topic, but really curious, your duct work goes up inside the outer wall?

If so, it's too bad they didn't do them all that way. The ducting should last a long time compared to the inside the rear cap where the temps are extreme for the metal tape to hold well for a long time.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
off topic, but really curious, your duct work goes up inside the outer wall?

If so, it's too bad they didn't do them all that way. The ducting should last a long time compared to the inside the rear cap where the temps are extreme for the metal tape to hold well for a long time.
The Vectra Grand Tour had a chase that ran up from under the kitchen cabinets, to behind the spice rack and coffee maker and into the ceiling duct. You really cant see it but it's nearly centrally located to the coach. The cold air return goes in at the toe kick panel at the kitchen sink.