Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresrus View Post
Hello everyone. I have been searching for this topic in a number of places and cannot find anything on it. Hopefully that's not because it's completely outrageous! ;-) My dash a/c just went out on my 2005 Fleetwood Expedition. Actually, it never worked well, but the compressor started making serious noises. I'm told it's the clutch and not a bearing. Regardless, the bill will be about $2,000 for something that is basically useless. So my questions is, has anyone ever bypassed the compressor by putting a shorter serpantine belt on, or installed a non-functional pulley where the compressor currently resides. My RV shop won't do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Kelly
Tiresrus
If it is the A/C clutch, (not a bearing in the A/C compressor), you can disable the the air conditioner clutch by simply disconnecting the power wire to the clutch and continue to use the existing serpentine belt.
However you will have no dash A/C with the clutch wire disconnected.
Mel
'96 Safari, 3126 Cat

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
In that case, wouldn't it be an electrical issue, not a clutch issue?

Old 08-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
In that case, wouldn't it be an electrical issue, not a clutch issue?
cb1000rider
I believe all dash A/C clutches are electrically operated.
If the clutch is bad it can make make serious noises whenever the A/C is turned on.
The one in my '92 Cadillac does, (has for years)
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I bought
Compressor for $200
Dryer $24

Have AC shop vacuum otthe 134A.

Install your compressor and dryer. About 8 bolts.

Have Ac shop test and fiil your system

Or

Buy clutch for compressor $125, and minstall.

I don't remember my exact costs, but were similar. I bought a gauge set and vacuum pump and did the install myself for far less than $2000.

I want mine to work. I got into a rainy and humid situation when mine was not working and it was dangerous not being able to defrost/defog the windshield.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would get a second opinion from a shop that specializes in Automotive A/C. A new compressor is under $200. It's a 3 hour job to replace it and @ $100 dollars an hour flat rate that still only $500. Throw in a new receiver/dryer (which I would) for another $200, that's still only $700. GA Navigator has a point your dash ac does more than just cooling. I also wouldn't remove the compressor or alter anything. It will affect the value if you sell. I had a 2005 Winnebago Voyage that the bearings went out on the clutch. It would really sing when idling but was quiet when the clutch was engaged. I had it replaced with an aftermarket compressor for $600 and it worked better than with the stock GM compressor. The dash air in the coach I have now will freeze you out of the cab area and I use it all the time unless I'm traveling across the desert in the summer time and the rest of the coach is getting hot. Get a second opinion, can't hurt.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:02 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I bought
Compressor for $200
Dryer $24

Have AC shop vacuum otthe 134A.

Install your compressor and dryer. About 8 bolts.

Have Ac shop test and fiil your system

Or

Buy clutch for compressor $125, and minstall.
Hello, Dean, just wrapping my arms around a new/old CC Allure 470, #31177. Just got it in NC, on way to FL discovered the chassis A/C compressor is history. Would a chassis shop (like Cummins) do such a charge you mention? Or, does forgetting the dash A/C altogether and simply running the gen and coach air make sense. It's not like I drive a lot. A grand will buy a lot of diesel.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:43 AM   #21

Geez, you're such a reasonable person!
Old 04-02-2016, 08:50 AM   #22

First off the AC compressor also works whenever you put the system in the "defrost" mode. It cools the air and removes the moisture so the window doesn't fog up. Secondly you haven't fully described when the "compressor" is making the noise.

If the noise is present anytime the engine is running the problem is most likely in the clutch bearing. The bearing is spinning anytime the belt is moving. If the noise is present only when the selector is in the AC or Defrost mode it could be a problem with the clutch halves not engaging properly, a compressor bearing, or other internal component in the compressor.

If the problem is the clutch or the clutch bearing they can both be resolved without opening the system. A clutch assembly will run in the $150.000 to $300.00 range depending on the manufacturer. A clutch bearing will be less than half that price, but there will be more labor to press out the old and press in the new one.

The biggest labor charge will be installing the new components on the engine. Depending on where it's located in the engine compartment you may have to remove the radiator, fan, or other components for access.

I would take the motorhome to a shop that specializes in large vehicle AC systems. If the problems are internal to the compressor, just replacing it may not solve your problems. Depending on what happened you may have metal shavings in the enclosed system. If that's the case the system dryer will need to be replaced and the system will need to be opened and flushed at the very minimum.

In some cases the condenser and/or evaporator may need to be replaced. Gaining access to the system, flushing it and replacing parts other than the one that failed can get expensive. Your original estimate sounds like it includes far more than just a compressor replacement.

Keep in mind no professional shop is going to do half the job they feel is necessary then give you any type of guarantee. If any contamination remains in the system the odds of having another failure are high.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Birds View Post
Hello, Dean, just wrapping my arms around a new/old CC Allure 470, #31177. Just got it in NC, on way to FL discovered the chassis A/C compressor is history. Would a chassis shop (like Cummins) do such a charge you mention? Or, does forgetting the dash A/C altogether and simply running the gen and coach air make sense. It's not like I drive a lot. A grand will buy a lot of diesel.
The AC system is part of the windshield defrost system.

We have often found the need to defrost that big old windshield while driving.

So, I would fix the AC system.

You have received several on target responses so I will not repeat them regarding how to repair cost effectively.

I did have a local ac shop fill and evacuate the system.

I could not find a local ac shop that wanted to work on the system, so I did it myself with no prior experience and not being a mechanic.

I found this link to be helpful. But skip all the theory stuff and look at the diagrams.

http://www.ariazone.com/manuals/Auto...g%20Manual.pdf

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, dash