Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #1

C clip-catch-retainer-doohickey-thingamajig

[/URL][/IMG]

Hello good people. Does anybody know where to source this item that attaches to the inside wall of the basement bin door to retain the hold-open rod when the door is closed? I have looked on the web, local hardware stores, auto part stores and RV stores with no luck. It could be metal instead of plastic. I don't even know what to call it when searching the web. Thanks for your help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
How big is the rod in diameter? If you can't find a clip like you picture, why not make one? A piece of wood with a groove in it to fit the rod, then a piece of wood that pivots over the groove to keep the rod locked in. Of course it could be rounded, varnished or painted.
You might look in marine catalogs for overhead fishing rod holders or the like.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The rod is probably 1/4" and those clips can be found all over the place. Google, Google, Google. Wonderful search engine. That complete assembly can be made with a 1/4" rod, steel vice and a hammer for less than $4.

TeJay
Old 01-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Buy a short piece of aluminum stock from hardware store.

Bend it into a V or U.

Drill a hole through one leg and screw it to the wall.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Try these thinga-majigers

Amazon.com: terry spring clips: Tools & Home Improvement

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Of course!! The "Terry clip" developed by the infamous Professor Terry, who also invented the cloth that we all like to dry things with. Thanks Fred, I knew someone knowledgeable would know its name so I could search Google, I was having no success. Looks like they are sold in packages of 12 or 25, who wants to go in with me and split a package?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
Of course!! The "Terry clip" developed by the infamous Professor Terry, who also invented the cloth that we all like to dry things with. Thanks Fred, I knew someone knowledgeable would know its name so I could search Google, I was having no success. Looks like they are sold in packages of 12 or 25, who wants to go in with me and split a package?
Not quite the same thing. This will probably work but before you buy a bunch of them why not go to an auto parts store and see if they have the clip you want. Looks like the same clip you use to hold the rod for an automobile hood. I also would try getting me a piece of industrial strength Velcro. cut a pies about an inch long and mount it horizontal instead of vertical.

Oops did not read you had looked in auto parts stores. The next thing is to look in auto salvage yards
Old 01-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Here's a few hook options. Most auto hood rod clips have a big plastic 'thing' on the backside that pushes into hole in sheetmetal and grabs hold. I guess you could cut that off and drill holes for screws. Universal Hood Rod Clips Asst Kit | eBay

These could also work: 6 Black Nylon Deck Lashing Hooks Kayak Deck Hardware | eBay

Antenna, Rod & Tool Holders 3/8" 4-Pak White Rubber by Seachoice | Marine Products Pro Shop

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #9

I have a 93 ford ranger that uses this clip to hold the hood prop. Go to your local ford dealer. Ask for a hood prop retainer. Good luck
Old 01-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Local auto parts store. I bought mine at a NAPA store. They had several in stock.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:04 AM   #11

This is great, guys. So my Plan A: Get to the Ford dealer or NAPA
Plan B: Search google for compatible Terry clip
Plan C: Fabricate one of my own

I'll start these plans in motion this weekend. Thanks for your replys.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #12

So I checked the local Ford shop and NAPA store and had no luck. The guy at NAPA suggested Fastenal, which has a store nearby I will try to get to this week.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #13

So today I tried Fastenall and an auto parts superstore and Home Depot, all no luck.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #14

Try home depot They have plastic clips that hold wire closet rod racks They are about 1/4 inch.

Tags
cat