Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #1

C-Pap battery pack vs external generator

Hello. We recently bought a 1997 Damon Intruder and have decided we want to do more boon docking. My husband uses a bi-pap and I use a c-pap. We're trying to decide whether to buy two C-pap battery units (at about $1000) or perhaps buy an external generator for about $1000. Pros and cons? Any other solutions that people have found to work well? Any cautionary advice? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robekim View Post
Hello. We recently bought a 1997 Damon Intruder and have decided we want to do more boon docking. My husband uses a bi-pap and I use a c-pap. We're trying to decide whether to buy two C-pap battery units (at about $1000) or perhaps buy an external generator for about $1000. Pros and cons? Any other solutions that people have found to work well? Any cautionary advice? Thanks.
Get a solar panel and a battery bank sufficient enough to run both cpaps through the night. Much less expensive and enviro friendlier. Almost all cpaps can run on 12v power supplies and most have 12v adapters that you can purchase.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In addition to the cost of the generator, there is the cost of gas and maintenance. My generator burns through about 4 gallons overnight, so that could get expensive. On the other hand, you have to weight that against the expected life of the batteries. Best wishes and happy camping, however you choose to go!
Old 07-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #4

Check if the C-pap can't run from 12 vdc. My DW her C-pap has a seperate power supply that plugs into 120 vac and puts out 12vdc that plugs into the c-pap. I just eliminated the power supply and plug the c-pap directly into the coach 12vdc supply. In order to facilitate this, I had to make a new cable with a plug that fits the back of the c-pap and a sigarette lighter plug on the other end.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robekim View Post
Any other solutions that people have found to work well? Any cautionary advice?
I run my Phillips bi-pap all night on the house batteries connected via a 12 volt cigarette lighter plug (that I installed myself next to the bed). Most of these devices are 12 volt units and do not take a lot of juice. I measured mine a while back, can't remember the exact number now but it was something around 1 amp continuous (at 12 volts).

Cautionary advice: If you wire things up yourself, make VERY, VERY, VERY sure you have polarity and voltages right. As you already know, these devices are not cheap to buy or repair.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #6

Agree with others that these units use a very low amount of power and could easily be accommodated by your house batteries.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
DH's new CPAP doesn't have the 12 volt adaptor and they acted like I was crazy to even ask about it. Anyway, I solved the problem by using one of those hand-carried battery power supply units that are used in case of power failure in my stick house. The thing sits at the foot of the bed under the lip and powers his CPAP all night with no issue and no noise. Run the generator the next day for a couple of hours (coffee, charge batteries, etc) and recharge the unit. This could be an option for you.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #8

I have a BPAP and take it everywhere. I have no problem using my house batteries to run the unit. I would however, caution about the use of a humidifier with your CPAP as they can draw more volts. That aside you should be okay.

Tags
battery, generator