Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2015, 07:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post

But, simply put, my goal in answering your post was to do what I could to inform you that there are literally thousands of C-7s out there still pounding the pavement. I have no idea how much research you've done and where to come up with your opinion of the C-7. I certainly don't blame you for digging around on any info that will influence your decision on what engine to power your next rig with. It's natural for folks concerned. I'd just keep an open mind. Good luck.
Scott
Thank you for the time you made to post a well-written response.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
bamaboy473, We have an 04 Itasca Meridian with a Cat 3126E with 66K. We purchased from a private individual with 20K 5 years ago. We have had two problems that have stopped us on the road. The first was near home at 21K and I was able to drive to our local service garage and have the alternator replaced. The second was serious. It occurred in Homer Alaska. The HUEI pump failed. This resulted in 8 down days; diagnosing, located parts, flushing metal fragments out, and replacing: the HUEI pump, six injectors, and oil cooler. This occurred at 37K. We have had no problems since. I have been servicing the coach at the Freightliner factory in Gaffney, SC and have been very satisfied. Oil changes at approx. 5k intervals with oil analysis done. All analysis results have been in the normal range for the engine, generator, and transmission. I drive 62-65 mph, tow a Jeep Liberty, and average between 8.4-8.9 mpg depending on the terrain.

I intend to keep it for another 7-8 years.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE

RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #17

RV735, can we assume that your R&M schedule that you now use has been the norm since you got the coach? If so, did oil analysis show anything prior to the failure? Did you get any clues at all, like longer starting cranking, loss of power, anything?
Old 08-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Good post. The gist of my question was wanting to know whether owners that take care of their C7s might still get surprises.
The number 1 item I see give trouble on a c7 is a injector will fail. That being said that usually happens in the 150,000 mile range. C7 got what I call a suit case high pressure pump which last of the 3126 got also. It's a good pump but will fail eventually but way down the road. I wouldn't be afraid one bit to buy a c7 equipped rv. I recently bought a 2004 t300 kenworth from a paper delivery company,it had 450,000 miles on the original c7. I sold that truck to a man that mounted a dump bed on it and is still running it everyday.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:48 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
bamaboy473, We have always followed the R&M schedule from freightliner. When we purchased the coach all fluids were sent to Blackstone for analysis and all were normal. Prior to our Alaskan trip there were no indications of the HUEI problem in performance or fluid analysis. When driving from Denali to Homer I noticed a surging in the motor a low RPMs. When we tried to leave Homer the coach would not start (I believe the root cause was low fuel pressure). We contacted Coach-Net for help. They located what turned out to be an excellent repair facility in Soldotna. Hope this answers your questions.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Good to know that a lot of them didn't have problems. What about the zerk fitting on the radiator fan; did you successful owner actually grease them, or is it just luck of the draw whether one fails?

I bought a grease gun with a one handed pump. Reach over the top of engine from the rear bedroom hatch and lube the fan zerk every 5 thousand miles. Although I pay for a complete chassis lube every year, not once have the service techs greased my fan as requested. They say it's done but 5 thousand miles of dust and dirt on the zerk proves they don't. Do it yourself
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:10 PM   #21

My 1998 Peterbilt has a 3406 Cat with 1,450, 000 miles. Recently when in need of injectors my mechanic informed me that since Cat quit making truck engines they do not warranty their parts. Would assume that applies to RV as well.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #22

I think one should call Cat to check that.

The C7 was used so much and so popular that Cat sells it in a crate. Cheaper then doing a full rebuild.

I'm not saying it's as cheap as a 350 Chevy, but in the heavy duty world cheap.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:06 PM   #23

I have had a coach with a Cat C7 350 for 3 years now. So far, it is running just great!
Old 08-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
My CAT 350 is running great, no problems. I read the post about CAT not warranting their parts, a call to CAT and according to them they do warranty their parts as they did before. They also said they still make OTR truck engines, they are in their Vocational Series Models, they no longer supply 3rd party chassis builders.
Just another thought, but if look at most of the fire fighting trucks in the US that are a few years old, the majority have CAT engines in them.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
3126B, 103500 miles on it, Huei pump failure at 78000. Never ever a problem before that and no problems since the Huei pump replacement. I like our engine. Reliably delivers 8 mpg towing Chevy Silverado pickup cross country from Fl. To Idaho every year. No plans on replacing our 2003 Kountry Star.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #26

Well I must be the unlucky one. 2005 Cat C7 with 28k miles that suffered a cracked block. I have 5k miles on the new motor, so far so good.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:31 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Time View Post
Well I must be the unlucky one. 2005 Cat C7 with 28k miles that suffered a cracked block. I have 5k miles on the new motor, so far so good.
Did they tell you why it cracked?
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
Did they tell you why it cracked?
It appeared to be a thin area in the casting. From the water jacket side of #2 cylinder you could see a vertical line in the casting that was thinner than the rest of the cylinder wall. The crack followed this vertical line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	031.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	104377   Click image for larger version

Name:	044.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	104378