Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
CA Class B Non-Comm'l Lic ~ Chicken & Egg?

Maybe it's because I was born "bass-ackwards" but I always seem to be the one going "the other way."

The same holds true with our RV purchase. We've never owned an RV, but really want to purchase or "last RV" first. So we're looking at a 45' DP. But in California, any coach between 40 ~ 45' requires a non-commercial Class B license. No big deal (I've driven 45' Ryder trucks for years), BUT they not only require a written test (passed!), but also a driving test.

Herein lies the quandary. I essentially have a "learner's permit" for a 40 ~ 45' coach...but don't currently own one. All RV rental locations for that size coach require you already have the license. All RV driving school require you provide your own coach. And the coach we're considering is 1,000 miles away (and I'm sure I'll have insurance issues if I don't have the correct license when picking it up).

Does anyone have a suggestion? I'm in Southern CA, and this one has me stumped!

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Try your local school bus contractor, they might be able to put you thru
the program, if you agree to drive for them occassionally.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Do you have a local moho dealer? Even though you are planning to purchase one from 1000 miles away, a local dealer may loan you something to get your license as you will still need service. Or a charter bus company?
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
When I was in your situation (four years ago), I went to a commercial truck driving school and got a CDL Class B. I was going to get the non-CDL, but the Texas license examiner wouldn't let me test for a non-CDL since I was taking the test in a commercial registered truck. Oops.

Next time my license comes up for renewal, I'll get it downgraded to a non-CDL Class B.

joe
Old 05-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadnphyl View Post
Try your local school bus contractor, they might be able to put you thru
the program, if you agree to drive for them occassionally.
That would be a CDL B, but it would work.

joe
Old 05-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #6

I know two folks in Ca who purchased longer than 40' MH and later on got their Class B licenses.

So, enforcement at point of insurance and registration is probably not an issue. The tricky part was getting the vehicle used in the driving test to the test site without a Class B licensed driver. But, they just drove it to a test site in the vicinity of Indio and no questions were asked.

If you have current insurance coverage, it should cover a replacement vehicle for 30 days. Worst case would be having to hire a licensed driver to accompany you back to Ca for registration.

Are you going to attempt to do an out of state delivery for avoidance of Ca Sales Tax/Use Tax even though the rig will be registered in Ca?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Are you going to attempt to do an out of state delivery for avoidance of Ca Sales Tax/Use Tax even though the rig will be registered in Ca?
Considered it...but, nahhhh!

While CA may certainly have it's challenges, it's a very special place to live. I consider the licensing costs to be part of the cost to live in paradise. I'm certainly going to be driving on CA roads, probably towing a car with CA plates. I want to relax...not worry about being "caught" and going through some headache I don't want or need.

The cost will be significant, but IMHO it's just the right thing to do.

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #8

Well that is fine if a matter of the right thing to do.

I, however, enjoyed receiving my successful compliance letter from the BOE and therefore legally avoiding paying those dollars.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #9

I'm in your boat as we speak. But here in Texas I'm being told anything over 26000lbs requires a Class B license. Funny how tight lipped people can be when it comes to whether they have their Class B license or not. I even had a dealership salesman tell me, Naw, you don't really need one of those. So, really. Is the vast majority of people out there driving rigs that require a Class B license actually have a Class B license? Obviously no one wants to come right out and tell you to break the law. Chicken/Egg: what a mess. Not to mention in Texas you have to parrallel park that big 40' monster. So I've been shying away from rigs that require the Class B license, but that sure limits your options depending on what you're looking for. The Thor Palasso comes the closet to meeting our needs, but they are just not as nice as rigs a little bigger. Comments welcomed.
WarBurd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was fortunate, employer trained for cdl, and I maintained it for over 20 years as a fall back in case I ever needed a job that requires one. I bought a new rig and it is 41 feet, so no worries on the cdl.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote