Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
May I ask, without trying to bash the great state of California and it's......hmmm....forward leaning laws why this law was passed? When the law was passed what was the perceived problem and how was this requirement meant to remedy it? It appears to me his law will be violated more than the 55 mph speed limit if the license is so difficult to obtain. Is this endorsement harder to get than a commercial bus license or even tour coach license? Is this license endorsement purely a revenue measure or is it a misguided method to prevent RV ownership and drive a Prius?
Alan beat me to it, but also just the fact that these coaches can be up to 45' long and weigh 50,000+ lbs...they can inflict a lot of damage ~ many times without the driver even knowing it! A friend made a necessary wide right hand turn and a little Honda car tried to sneak inside. MH driver never saw him...or the fact his coach pushed the car over the curb and up into the building next to the side walk (he really should have been watching his mirrors!). Another driver had to stop him to tell him what had happened. No citation for the MH driver, but still...

And after watching a 387 point turn by a coach trying to pull into a fuel island (imagine the Queen Mary docking ~ sans tug boats), I think it makes a lot of sense.

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
May I ask, without trying to bash the great state of California and it's......hmmm....forward leaning laws why this law was passed? When the law was passed what was the perceived problem and how was this requirement meant to remedy it? It appears to me his law will be violated more than the 55 mph speed limit if the license is so difficult to obtain. Is this endorsement harder to get than a commercial bus license or even tour coach license? Is this license endorsement purely a revenue measure or is it a misguided method to prevent RV ownership and drive a Prius?
I believe the answer lies in the wheel base length of a fixed axle rig that exceeds 40'.

I can only think of Firetrucks and Charter Bus rigs that also meet those criteria. Both require a Commercial Class driver license in California and most other States.

Bending that length fixed axle rig around some of the 180 degree mountain turns that I drove today, would require the rig to occupy some of the oncoming traffic lane in the middle of the turn.

That is probably why the road restrictions for 40'+ rigs was imposed.

As it is, many of those roads have signs posted that tractor/trailer rigs exceeding 30' from kingpin to rear axle are "not advised".

A forty foot DP is probably 28' from front axle to drive axle.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:47 AM   #17

Any further new news on california Class B safte, skills, and driver test?

It seems like there are quite a few of you out there that have needed to get the Class B non-commercial license required for coaches over 40' plus the air brake endorsement.
Most of the posts I see in this forum are from 2012-2014. Maybe nothing has changed much in those last 5-7 years but I sure would like to hear from some of you who have recently been tested. I have my learner's permit now and have an appointment for the Safety, skills, behind the wheel in Modesto on June 4th.
would any recent teste like to share step by step detail on what the test consisted of from start to finish. Do they just say inspect your vehicle. or do the give you a sequece? Did you chalk the wheels and then test the parking brake? What was the skills test like? backing, parking etc, etc. Your tips will be appreciated.

Clint Holland, 760-831-1361
Can use all the tips you have.
Hclint is offline   Reply With Quote