Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #1

CA title for AZ motorhome

I sure hope I didn't do something stupid but here's the situation.

I bought a 2010 WGO Vista in Nov. I'm in AZ as is the moho and seller but it has CA plates & registration. Since the rig was financed, the owner didn't have the title in hand. I paid him and got possession of the moho and CA registration. The CA plates are still on the rig and it's sitting in my RV shelter. I have temporary AZ plates on it.

It's been 2 months and I still don't the title. The seller sent me a letter from his bank saying the lien has been released. I called the bank and they don't show a lien on that VIN. The seller says CA DMV sent the title to his old CA address and it's been lost so they're now issuing a new title.

My question is: Is there anything I can be doing to protect myself? Could someone show up with the title and claim it's his RV? Could AZ refuse to register it?

In retrospect, how could I have bought a rig with a lien against it without all this agita? Otherwise, the rig is in excellent condition with the usual used RV issues (new Trojan 6V batteries, added solar, repaired generator, etc.) Thanks for any advice.

Lee
2006 WGO View 23J (For Sale)
2010 WGO Vista 30W (love the space, hate 8mpg)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 05:45 PM   #2

I was selling rv from Cali and lived in Az. I financed in Cali so the bank held the title. I paid it off and sold it two months later. It took the bank at least 4 months to send me the title. I wouldn't worry yet. Do you have a bill of sale?
Arizona

Old 01-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
For future transactions, you never ever buy anything without getting the title right then and there. Without a title, you/they don't own it.

HOW? You go to the financial institution with the seller and pay the financial institution directly and have the seller sign over the title right there. OR if you can't physically go, contact the financial institition holding the lien and ask them how to do it. OR if you are financing it, you let the two financial institutions handle it and your financial institution will hold the title with lien.

Do NOT pay a seller $$$ without the title being turned over to you right there and then. Also be sure to prepare a Bill of Sale with a complete description of the vehicle with VIN number, amount paid and signatures of seller and buyer. You can find examples on the Internet to copy.

Good Luck.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Did your bill of sale or other documentation when you paid the previous owner have the VIN listed? Does that VIN match the actual VIN of the RV? What's the VIN of the title that is being sent to the old owner's new address? I don't think you need fear someone else will claim your RV is theirs - - - unless it is.

Usually when a title is held by a lender the owner of the vehicle at least has a title-like document that shows the lender's name and the vehicle VIN. At least that's been my experience in PA, OH, and IN.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:06 PM   #5

Sounds like you paid cash instead of financing the purchase? You should have sent the pay off for the MH to the financial instuition that was holding the lien with a bill of sale Notarized with your signatures and a power of attourney signed by the Owner that releases the title to you.The title should come to in your name and should be an arizona Title. When we bought our used motor home from a local owner to us in Ohio, his bank that it was financed through was in Calif. and we had to send our portion of his payoff to his bank ( he owed more than we bought it for) They then sent the title to our bank once payment cleared. Sounds like you are relying on the owner to send/sign over the title once he gets it.

I am guessing you called his bank recently and they would not show a lien since it should be paid off by now
Old 01-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you are waiting on the California DMV you will have a long wait. I went thru that crap twice. Lesson learned. Never again.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #7

You can get ahold of mvd and get abandoned title. It may cost you more $$$$ but it would be in your name you can also get a bonded title on it. Hopefully it not stolen or he reported stolen
Old 01-07-2015, 08:15 PM   #8

For those who say get title "right then and there", you need to understand how the real world operates and how a foreign country like California operates. It ain't going to happen any time soon. However, you really need a bill of sale. I would get one filled out and take to the seller immediately to sign in front of a notary so you have some documentation that you, indeed, own the vehicle. Without that you are exposed, in my opinion.

Don
Old 01-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
It took the bank at least 4 months to send me the title. I wouldn't worry yet. Do you have a bill of sale?
Arizona
Thanks, AZ MVD told me it takes CA a long time to send titles so I'm hoping it's just typical bureaucratic BS. Yes, I have both a CA and AZ bill of sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austx View Post
HOW? You go to the financial institution with the seller and pay the financial institution directly and have the seller sign over the title right there. OR if you can't physically go, contact the financial institition holding the lien and ask them how to do it. OR if you are financing it, you let the two financial institutions handle it and your financial institution will hold the title with lien.
His bank wouldn't accept the cashier's check from my bank (which we both stood there and watched them prepare) until it cleared. That delayed getting his loan paid off. Neither bank offered any advice on how to handle this. I believe "Bank" is a foreign word for "useless thieves."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Did your bill of sale or other documentation when you paid the previous owner have the VIN listed?

Usually when a title is held by a lender the owner of the vehicle at least has a title-like document that shows the lender's name and the vehicle VIN. At least that's been my experience in PA, OH, and IN.
Yes, the VIN and other identifying info is correctly listed on both a CA and AZ bill of sale which he wanted for liability purposes. Part of the problem is that every state seems to have different rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCarillon View Post
Sounds like you paid cash instead of financing the purchase? You should have sent the pay off for the MH to the financial instuition that was holding the lien with a bill of sale Notarized with your signatures and a power of attourney signed by the Owner that releases the title to you.The title should come to in your name and should be an arizona Title. When we bought our used motor home from a local owner to us in Ohio, his bank that it was financed through was in Calif. and we had to send our portion of his payoff to his bank ( he owed more than we bought it for) They then sent the title to our bank once payment cleared. Sounds like you are relying on the owner to send/sign over the title once he gets it.

I am guessing you called his bank recently and they would not show a lien since it should be paid off by now
I wish our banker had given us that advice. She didn't seem to care who had the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
If you are waiting on the California DMV you will have a long wait. I went thru that crap twice. Lesson learned. Never again.
Thanks. AZ MVD told me the same thing. It's just so difficult to stay puckered up for so long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblegg1 View Post
You can get ahold of mvd and get abandoned title. It may cost you more $$$$ but it would be in your name you can also get a bonded title on it. Hopefully it not stolen or he reported stolen
Thanks, that sounds like Plan B if I don't get the title soon. It wasn't reported as stolen when I went to AZ MVD for temporary tags.

Thanks all, you've helped relieve some of my heartburn. This is the last time I ever do something like this! When we bought our previous rig, the seller banked at the same bank as us so it was EZ-Peasy.

Lee
Old 01-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
For those who say get title "right then and there", you need to understand how the real world operates and how a foreign country like California operates. It ain't going to happen any time soon. However, you really need a bill of sale. I would get one filled out and take to the seller immediately to sign in front of a notary so you have some documentation that you, indeed, own the vehicle. Without that you are exposed, in my opinion.

Don
You're absolutely correct. CA lives in it's own parallel universe and, sometimes, I'm not so sure it's parallel. Fortunately, I have a BoS so I hope that covers me in case I have to go to Plan B.

Lee
Old 01-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #11

Ca dmv will print a title on the spot if lost.

If bank sent title to po old address then simply have po drive to dmv and get copy as it is 10 bucks.

He can fax or send you copy just so you know while you wait for mail.

If he has your name and address he can do the liability release at same time...that can be used to get him to get it done.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOts View Post

His bank wouldn't accept the cashier's check from my bank (which we both stood there and watched them prepare) until it cleared. That delayed getting his loan paid off. Neither bank offered any advice on how to handle this. I believe "Bank" is a foreign word for "useless thieves."

Yes, the VIN and other identifying info is correctly listed on both a CA and AZ bill of sale which he wanted for liability purposes. Part of the problem is that every state seems to have different rules.

Thanks all, you've helped relieve some of my heartburn. This is the last time I ever do something like this! When we bought our previous rig, the seller banked at the same bank as us so it was EZ-Peasy.

Lee
Awww that sounds Normal you should be fine... I was told the same thing with our title coming from Ca it will get here eventually. You have the BOS and you have the Motorhome so all is good plus Ar already gave you a temp registration so dont sweat it
Old 01-07-2015, 11:22 PM   #13

Not sure if you got the bill of sale notorised but that may have helped. As long as you verified via I.D or something that the seller on the documents is the person you dealt with and you have their signature I am sure you are fine. Hope it moves quickly do you get the paperwork to put your mind at ease
Old 01-08-2015, 02:27 AM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You thought the California wait was long before......now the California DMV is busy issuing 1 million illegal aliens a driver's license per new State law. At least now when they run into you without insurance, you can write down their useless driver's license number.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome