Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #1

Question Cable TV hook-up

Well i have this situation: I have the MH next to the house for the winter and i have all the hook-ups, so i decided to have the cable run to the MH for extra room just in case more company comes than i can handle in the house. The cable person who ran the cable told me that i did not need a cable box for the lowest package, so i removed the antenna cable from the switch box that i have in the MH and hooked the cablecom cable to the place where i removed the antenna and no picture???? I have the DVD and both front and back TVs hooked up to the box and all works well with the antenna hooked up. Is the antenna cable and the cablecom cable the same cable. I hooked it up to the cable hook-up in the back storage compartment. What do i need to do to make the TVs work with the cable. I hope you understand my problem, because it seems like i just rambled. OH Well: I need your help. Duk

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do not now which MH you have, but in ours, you must switch the control center to "cable". I did the same thing and forgot to make the switch from Antena to Cable, and didn't get any signal. When all else failed, I read the instructions.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On some MH that have a power amplifier for the OTA crank up antenna, you have to turn off the amplifier to allow the cable signal to pass. Most of the amplifiers I have seen have an on/off pushbutton light or switch next to the jack.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:19 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your switch box will have inputs for ANT, CABLE, SAT,TV'S and VCR.

They will be marked on the back of box you place cable from house cable system to the cable input on back of box and leave the ANT input alone.
Once you have CABLE connected you will than push cable button in front of box for the TV you want to watch the cable service with.
Push all cable buttons for corresponding TV's can watch cable channels on all TV's in coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

That box you are showing in that picture is a video distribution box not sure you can run a RF or a digital signal into that box and have it work.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The feed for his cable is coax cable same as from his ANT he can use a coax splitter off main cable into house and feed lead off splitter into his box, he will pick up basis cable service from his cable system.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You may also need sgo into the menu on each TV and change fro off air or antena to cable.

Ken
Old 01-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
That box you are showing in that picture is a video distribution box not sure you can run a RF or a digital signal into that box and have it work.
The switch box that was shown IS a coax switch box for RF, with amplifier... but
that really doesn't matter in this case as 007 was just showing an example of a switch

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
In addition, just thinking about it, each time I switch from Ant. to Cable, with our new Motorola LED, I have to go to the Menu and change the signal sorce or else the TV won't show anything. Then it has to be changed back if we want to use the built in antenna.
Good Luck!
Old 01-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Duk,
As Ken pointed out, the television menu has to be set to "cable." Then, depending on the year of manufacture, a scan has to be performed to pick up the cable channels.

You can still use the switch box like the one displayed above if the connections are kept the same as originally hooked up. The cable and satellite connections are bypasses and do not use the amplifier. If you removed the antenna input to he switch box and hooked up the cable, it is still going through the circuitry of the amplifier. It may or may not work but it will not work with the amplifier on. Hook the cable to the cable input on the back of the switch box - not the antenna input. See how that goes.

Good luck. We'll keep giving you advice as you need it and eventually you'll buy a new MH to solve the problem.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The antenna cable and the cable cable are NOT the same cable coming into the switch box.. they are the same from switch box to TV.

Question: do you have a "Box of Many Buttons" or the switch plate that has a 12 volt outlet, switch, light and antenna connection.

If the latter, then with the cables hanging down the connections are as follows (tv 3 is optional)

Ant, Cable, TV-2, TV-3

If you have a box of many buttons, they are labeled.

Normally, somewhere on your rig is a park cable inlet.. NOW. a prior owner (or you if you ahve it) may have "Re-tasked" this cable for satellite, this is a bad idea for several reaosn, but if they have then the CABLE port on the box of many buttons, or the second port on the wall switch. will be "empty" (no connection)

On the wall switch.. Light on (Switch on) = Rooftop antenna, light/switch off = Cable.

The box of many buttons.. should be labeled.

Oh, and as others have said make sure the TV is set to cable.. However I will point out (Unlike others) that even if it's not set to cable you should get SOME channels.. (2,3,4 are the same for both OTA analog and cable settings.)
Old 01-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #12

My switch box on the front has three sets of buttons. Tv 1, Aux, VCR----VCR Aux,------TV2, Aux, VCR. On the back there is only a Antenna in with no cable inlet. Of course ther are other screw-ons on the back. I have recently changed out the Analog tvs to Digital. I went to the menu, but i did not run the scan on the cable to pick up channels. I will call the previous owner and see if he has changed anything that i need to know about. I do not think he has. All the info i can get is very helpful as i am electronally challenged LOL Rivrduk