Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2016, 01:58 PM   #1

Cable TV, lost on how to connect.

We are brand new to the RV world, and when camping two weeks ago, the park we stayed said, they had "free cable tv", well we could never figure out how to connect to cable. Can anyone help? We are wondering if we need a cable box?Don't judge, we are not tech savvy.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 02:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Typically there is a cable connection in one of your basement compartments, on mine it's in the wet bay.

Run a cable from the camps connection to the one in your basement.

There should be a button on the face plate of the cable connection in your coach. This is the connection that runs to the back of your TV. The button is the amplifier, this amplifier must be off to watch cable.

On your TV's menu system there should a search for channels option use this to allow the TV to identify available channels. You will most likely need to do this search at every new campground.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:20 PM   #3

Most newer RVs have a coax connection point somewhere on the outside of the rig. Normally on the driver's side, but i suppose it could be anywhere. Could be in a compartment as well. You bring your own coax cable, it should have female F connectors on each end, to connect between your rig and the campsite. Not positive, someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but i think that would be all you need to do to get basic cable. Your amplifier should be turned off when hooked to cable.

If your RV doesn't already have an existing connection point, then you would have to either install/run coax for a permanent installation or run a cable through one of the windows to your tv. By the way, they do make a flat cable made for doing just that.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:58 PM   #4

Thank you so much for your responses. I will show these to my husband to see if it answers his question. We own a Winnebago Vista, only purchased a few weeks ago...so much to learn.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #5

FWIW all the units I have seen also have some kind of selector setup to route either the antenna or the cable connection or often a third or fourth source to the input to each TV. Look for the box of many buttons and select the cable as the source for the TV you want to use. Then set the TV tuner to CATV and do a scan for active channels.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Typically there is a cable connection in one of your basement compartments, on mine it's in the wet bay.

Run a cable from the camps connection to the one in your basement.

There should be a button on the face plate of the cable connection in your coach. This is the connection that runs to the back of your TV. The button is the amplifier, this amplifier must be off to watch cable.

On your TV's menu system there should a search for channels option use this to allow the TV to identify available channels. You will most likely need to do this search at every new campground.
As stated above, Your TV will search for air channels first then cable. It will take a few min.
Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:30 AM   #7

Thank you!

You guys are great, thank you!
Old 07-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #8
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When you use a factory park cable connection you need to turn the amplifier off for the roof mounted antenna. There should be a wall plate the size of a normal light switch with a very small button and tiny light that comes on when there is power going to the roof antenna.

It can be quite complicated if you have the fancy master switch etc.

To take things a step at a time, buy a coax with connectors already on it. Run it through a window and directly to a tv. Then have the tv do a search. It can take a long long time to complete. I mean 15 minutes easily. Or if you can have the tv do a partial search you will know much quicker that it is working.

Once you know the tv is happy, you can then plug the coax into the rv and start chasing switches if necessary.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:03 AM   #9

Here are the steps:
1. Buy your own cable
2. Connect cable to park hookup and trailer hookup
3. Turn on tv, go to "settings"
4. Find the tv control panel in your rv. Press button to select "park cable"
5. Go back to tv settings. Select "setup" and "input." Select "cable tv" as your input.
6. Select "scan channels" and "auto scan."
7. Make sure you did step 4, then start auto scan.
8. That's it. Your tv will go through 100 channels and when it's done you should have cable. It can time out and not get all channels if it takes too long (too many channels, for example) if that happens just run the scan again.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:07 AM   #10
epj

Both the coaches we have owned had the cable connection in the electrical bay, that is the compartment where you hook up your power cable.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Whenever you run into such a problem, all you have to do is ask someone in the park. I have found that 99 % of rv'ers are very nice and always willing to help each other. This forum is the perfect example. We were all newbies at one time.
RV Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:52 AM   #12

You are all the best

Thank you all very much, for being so helpful. I feel much better about our chances to have the cable working, on our next trip out in a couple weeks.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:22 PM   #13
isa

Triple E Owners Club
If you have an antenna hook up also, then make sure that your antenna amplifier switch is in the OFF position if you are using the cable TV connection.