Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #1

Calif SalesTax, Registration, License & Personal Property Tax

I'm confused (which is nothing new) but maybe I'm not presenting my questions clearly.

I'm trying to get a fix on ALL the taxes, fees and other "penalties" the State of California imposes on its citizens for buying and owning a class A motor home.

I'm hearing sales taxes like 7.5% to 10%, or is it dependent on the sales tax in your county. Or, is there a special sales tax that applies to the purchase of motor homes?

People speak of a "personal property tax". Is that the same as a sales tax or something different? Is this a one time tax at the point of purchase or an annual tax?

Licensing and registration. Are these two separate things? One fee to register the vehicle in the state and another to obtain a license? That's the way it works for cars. The registration fee is a one time fee and the licensing is an annual event. What are these fees? Is it dependent on the value or the age of the vehicle? Anybody know what the formula for that might be?

Lots of questions. I hope there are some answers out there.
Lincolnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Your best bet is to go here Fees and look. I ended up having to call and wait on hold for about an hour to find out some information as no it is not really listed so you can try to figure out for yourself.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
YC1

Sales tax is state plus any local. No property tax on an RV. There is personal property tax on a boat.

I always melt license and registration into one thing but that is not really correct. The registration comes around every year and you have to watch out when they decide to double it for a couple of years. NICE when you buy a really expensive one. They already clipped you huge sales tax and then double down on the registration.
If you finance you can deduct the interest as a second home.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why guess when California DMV has an online tool that will tell you what it will cost you to register it. Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
California sales tax is different by County. It's not a huge difference, but can be up to one percent. The property tax has been eliminated on boats and motor homes. A real good way to figure what you're going to pay while the salesman is spouting numbers.....is to add 10% to the price to cover California sales and registration.

Check your County tax rate and the rate where you're buying the RV. If yours is lower, they're suppose to use your home address rate. If theirs is lower....try not to say anything!!!!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote