Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2015, 03:44 PM   #29
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
ALWAYS ASK THE RULING AUTHORITY on all things.

Once received a ticjet for driving with fog lights instead of headlights.

it was "2-line fog" where you see the line next to window and next to bumper...had good fog lamps and was doing well...cop was jerk and that was long funny tail but judge asked guilty or not and I asked for him to define headlamp...

He stated "only dmv can do that" and tossed it.

Visit a dmv office and ask for hard copy and do as it requires and KEEP COPY IN COACH.

If leo is being pain or confused show them and all is well.
I don't think you get the picture. It is impossible to get a definitive answer at a California DMV. They are not even consistent in trying to define a non commercial class B written test. Even the local CHP was not able to give me anything except a phone number in Sacramento to call. When one beats his head against the wall and stops, all of a sudden it feels better.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2015, 05:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post

If leo is being pain or confused show them and all is well.
If you believe your last - the moon is made of green cheese!.

Depends on the LEO - his/her knowledge base, the kind of day he's/she's having, and more than likely he's/she's not interested in seeing *your* paperwork......unless it's something *he/she* asked for.

Having *worked* with lots of CA LEOs, don't count on - "all is well"..

BTW - Another (long) story, but - Readers Digest Condensed version.....
a friend was measured by the CHP in N. CA on the side of the I-5 - to see if his CC MH was less that 40' - as he stated and his "paperwork" indicated.
(Yes - 39.6)

Old 02-17-2015, 07:33 PM   #31

I do not understand...having supporting documents can and will avoid issues with folks who enforce the law but may not be aware of how the law applies.

If...and that is the hard part...but if you can get someone who has a clue and they have the ability to look up the data then they being the ruling authority relating to anything related to motor vehicles should be able to locate the exact documentation required to indicate how to measure length and license requirements and provide printouts.

Given many may not have a clue then go ahead and do your homework and provide information to the dmv agent so they can locate what you need.

Some leo can be in a bad mood but being nice and non-combative along with calmly explaining your case and producing the documents helps them to do their job.

Most important is to have a good attitude and you should be fine.

If you do get cited ask for a supervisor...they may not want to come out but if your documentation clears you then you should be good and the leo will learn something.

Better than having nothing and trying to claim okay.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Ive wondered if a Tag axle considered a three axle or are only drive axles counted?
I would have to say it depends on how the person doing the counting interprets the regulations.

Case in point: we own a sidecar motorcycle, and belong to a sidecar club. Several members of our club have crossed some toll bridges in the area recently and have been charge the toll for 3 axles rather than the toll for motorcycles. The reasoning used by the toll-takers was that the sidecar was treated as a trailer so it counted as 3 axles! It took a review of the toll regulations posted on the official website and an official hearing to get the improper toll refunded.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:02 AM   #33

I just bought a used phaeton 40. Will measure length. I assume I can exclude mirrors and tow hitch.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankc26 View Post
I just bought a used phaeton 40. Will measure length. I assume I can exclude mirrors and tow hitch.
You could also check the Tiffin site and pull the spec's for your coach. I think most of their 40' models are closer to 40'6" to 41'.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:35 PM   #35

I wouldn't want to be arguing on the side of the road with a LEO proving my case with my documentation. I joined Escapees and got a So Dakota address, drivers license, and registered my vehicle in SD. I can drive in any state including CA with my normal class liscense.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #36

I think it's important to reiterate one poster's thought - your insurance company once having issued you a policy cannot assign fault to you simply because you don't have the right license for the length vehicle they insured you as a driver for, as long as you told the truth when you gave them whatever info they asked for. But, they can and do research the license you indicate you possess, and they can and do research the vehicle you indicate you want insured. When they CAN refuse to cover an event is if you have violated any of the fine print conditions that are part of your policy - I've never seen one yet that says you're not covered in the event you are in a 43 foot RV with a Class C license. But there are other exclusions that any driver should be aware of - read your policy!
Old 04-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #37

I would be shocked if an insurance policy covered you when you were operating a vehicle you were not legally licensed to operate.

Steve
Old 04-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF4J View Post
Thanks all,
I come to the conclusion 2 different CHP don't know squat.
40' or less, class C license regardless of weight but must not tow more than 10K and not exceed 65' over all length.
40 - 45 ft Class B non commercial.
The regular CHP guys are not sharp on anything that is not run of the mill, they have specialized folks that handle anything not Class M or C. Find one of the Commercial Enforcement folks, they will probably know more than you want to know. I have a Commercial License and DMV gives us a direct dial number to the Commercial side of DMV, who actually know what they are doing, while they are only open during business hours, let's say I have an expired Medical, I can call them, ask for a fax number, fax it in, and they will update my license within minutes. Try that at any DMV office, let alone one you call.
Never asked about non-commercial licenses, and probably the reason DMV has such a problem with them, it is not something they normally do, and there is no area that specializes in it.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:26 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
I would be shocked if an insurance policy covered you when you were operating a vehicle you were not legally licensed to operate.

Steve
Read your policy - you might be shocked.

Remember, your insurer assigns each driver on the policy to a specific vehicle - they know the license parameters and the vehicle length. If you're in doubt, check with the State Insurance Commissioner.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF4J View Post
Also would be curious what the requirements are in other states.
16,000 lbs and above often require a special license in probably half the states across the country. (Including IL) The Feds are trying to influence this across the country, so that restriction continues to become more wide spread. But something to point out is that you only have to worry about your own state, because regardless of the restrictions in other states, if your license is valid in your own state, it is valid everywhere.

One funny thing is that most of these restrictions do not apply if you are renting the RV. I always figured if you didn't want to bother with the license, you could rent your RV to yourself.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango382 View Post
Read your policy - you might be shocked.

Remember, your insurer assigns each driver on the policy to a specific vehicle - they know the license parameters and the vehicle length. If you're in doubt, check with the State Insurance Commissioner.
I just read my Progressive policy and as part of it there's a statement requiring a valid driver's license. I would be extremely hesitant to make the legal assumption that having any form of valid driver's license would fulfill that requirement. Such an assumption would mean that if I only had a motorcycle license the insurer would consider that valid for the operation of a car or motorhome.

Steve
Old 04-25-2015, 09:24 AM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
16,000 lbs and above often require a special license in probably half the states across the country. (Including IL) The Feds are trying to influence this across the country, so that restriction continues to become more wide spread. But something to point out is that you only have to worry about your own state, because regardless of the restrictions in other states, if your license is valid in your own state, it is valid everywhere.

One funny thing is that most of these restrictions do not apply if you are renting the RV. I always figured if you didn't want to bother with the license, you could rent your RV to yourself.
I'm sure it was probably a typo, as I believe you meant to say 26,000 lbs.

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, california