Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
California Class A license requirements

I was asked by a friend that is considering buying a 40', 3 axle, 40,000 lb GVWR class A, what the licence requirments were for Ca. I called two RV dealers and asked them but they seemed to tip toe around the question which made me suspicious so I called CHP. They were very adamant with their answer, if it is greater that 26000 GVWR you need a non commercial class A license. It seems this would apply to most all class A's? Mine is a 38' 2 axle with A GVWR of 32000 so I would need one as well?
Any info or clarification would be appreciated. Also would be curious what the requirements are in other states.
AF4J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Class C is up to 44 foot. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de..._htm/lic_chart

RV's 45 foot and longer require a non-commercial Class B is required. Noncommercial Class B (45' housecar) Requirements
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
YC1

Wow is that DMV office off base.
40 footer does not require a special license. Over forty requires a class B NON-Commercial. Do a search on this forum and you should find about 100 pages on the issue. Now get into the technique of measuring a Class A MH. Sheesh. Can't get anyone to agree on that one.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:55 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Doggy Daddy has the correct info. Unfortunately the OP talked to the CHP, not DMV.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I went to DMV website license class requirements.
Basic class C, you may drive.

A 2 axle vehicle with a GVWR or 26000 lbs or less.
A 3 axle vehicle weighing 6000 lbs. gross or less.
A motorized scooter.
Any housecar 40' or less.

Do you interpet the "ANY" part of any house car to trump the weight ratings above?
Old 02-03-2015, 01:27 PM   #6
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Wow is that DMV office off base.
40 footer does not require a special license. Over forty requires a class B NON-Commercial. Do a search on this forum and you should find about 100 pages on the issue. Now get into the technique of measuring a Class A MH. Sheesh. Can't get anyone to agree on that one.

Meant to say Chp office. Someone didn't interpret the question properly possibly.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF4J View Post
I went to DMV website license class requirements.
Basic class C, you may drive.

A 2 axle vehicle with a GVWR or 26000 lbs or less.
A 3 axle vehicle weighing 6000 lbs. gross or less.
A motorized scooter.
Any housecar 40' or less.

Do you interpet the "ANY" part of any house car to trump the weight ratings above?
Yes. A 'housecar' is the term for motor home in CA DMV regulations. 40 feet and under, class C is OK. Over 40, and you need a noncommercial class B or better. As someone said, lots of posts on this topic.
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:40 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
And how many CA owners have them?
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks all,
I come to the conclusion 2 different CHP don't know squat.
40' or less, class C license regardless of weight but must not tow more than 10K and not exceed 65' over all length.
40 - 45 ft Class B non commercial.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My Motorhome (California defines as a House car) is listed as 39' 6" and my GVWR is 29,500#, this kept me in the class C drivers license requirement. I held a commercial class B for 30 years. Gave it up when I retired. I don't want to go through those hoops again.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:13 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Found this link for drivers license requirements by state. RV Driver's License Requirements
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:04 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
This was just discussed a few weeks back, wish I could find the thread. You need a Non-Commercial Class B for anything over 40'.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:25 AM   #13

I think Cal DMV is preparing for a makeover of the non commercial Class A/B licensing. In my own recent experience there was pretty much mass confusion at whatever level you went to. No one was familiar with the process. In my case the only way they could get a non comm class B through the computer was to add a firefighter endorsement. On the next visit for the drivers test that was deemed unnecessary and it was removed. Now eight weeks later I still didnt't have my hard copy license from DMV. Three phone calls later I was told it hadn't been issued because it had been restricted due to the firefighters endorsement having been added again. I think I got it cleared up and expect the license in a couple of weeks but was told that DMV may be doing away with the Non Commercial status and using a housecar endorsement on a regular Class B. My temp paperwork did in fact say Class B, but had a sticker stating ok to drive Up to 45 ft house car. You are taking the same written tests but the PDI and air brake portions are modified or eliminated. There is also an indication that the physical exam statement for self check is being replaced by the madatory Dr sign off. So those of you who are beginning the process, expect confusion and delay.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:19 PM   #14

Short version is that we were seriously considering a 40' tag axle DP recently. In talking to many, many owners of big DP's, only 1 was licensed. I was far more knowledgeable than the DMV person I talked to initially, but that helped us get to a supervisor who found the right page in the book to confirm that I already knew the language was open to interpretation. And my interpretation is real simple. If you are ever in an accident and you don't have the license you should have, you are at fault. Did I mention that neither of the salesman that took us on test drives had the license?
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, california