Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Actually, my skills and written tests went pretty smoothly. The inspector was a little nit-picky, but not extreme. My only problem getting my Class B was that our local DMV couldn't do the test and they set me up to take the test in Bishop for about four weeks from that date. The night before the test, DMV called me and told me that Bishop was no longer doing these tests so they made an appointment for me in Lancaster....again about three weeks from that date. Decided it was in my best interest to go check out the Lancaster DMV office and found that there was street construction going on right in front of the DMV and access with my 42 footer would be very difficult at best. Called DMV and cancelled the Lancaster appointment and made one myself with the Bakersfield office. That pretty much went off without too much of a hitch. Like you however, there were a group of guys there taking their tests and all were speaking Spanish...have no idea if they knew any English or not, but they were having a really hard time with the simulated docking maneuvers.

Four weeks after taking my tests, I went down to the local DMV office to see what the hold up was on my license. They called and discovered that Bakersfield has listed me as a fire fighter and since I'm 70 years old, Sacramento decided that this needed further investigation and put my file in the lost and found...

Ron

lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Actually, my skills and written tests went pretty smoothly. The inspector was a little nit-picky, but not extreme. My only problem getting my Class B was that our local DMV couldn't do the test and they set me up to take the test in Bishop for about four weeks from that date. The night before the test, DMV called me and told me that Bishop was no longer doing these tests so they made an appointment for me in Lancaster....again about three weeks from that date. Decided it was in my best interest to go check out the Lancaster DMV office and found that there was street construction going on right in front of the DMV and access with my 42 footer would be very difficult at best. Called DMV and cancelled the Lancaster appointment and made one myself with the Bakersfield office. That pretty much went off without too much of a hitch. Like you however, there were a group of guys there taking their tests and all were speaking Spanish...have no idea if they knew any English or not, but they were having a really hard time with the simulated docking maneuvers.

Four weeks after taking my tests, I went down to the local DMV office to see what the hold up was on my license. They called and discovered that Bakersfield has listed me as a fire fighter and since I'm 70 years old, Sacramento decided that this needed further investigation and put my file in the lost and found...

Ron

Interesting how they never seem to lose anything to do with 'taking in money'... !

Back in the few years that we had to send in a proof of insurance our registration payment, I finally stopped after the third or fourth year sending it in via the mail. They would always 'find my check and cash it', but not once, with four vehicles, did I ever just get my new registration and tags. Each time they would send me a letter saying I need to send proof of insurance. (This even after we would staple the proof to the check itself, that had the vehicle license number written into the memo area. Thinking some how the proof of insurance stub was becoming separated from the balance of the paper work.) They were, IMO, just making 'busy work' to add more body count to the payroll, and 'build the Borg Empire hire.

We finally started just going in in person to the AAA office, and paying to get get our new tags each year.

Oh, another bit of interest. A local news crew did an investigative report about 6 months after the new 'electronic insurance validation' process was put into place. Expecting to see layoff of DMV workers... Nope. Official answer to them, is they were deployed in other areas, to help better serve the California public!

I really amy not against any individual, well except for the occasional jerks you run into - but they're not that frequent. It's the 'Systems' and 'Non Value Added' garbage their processes put into place that I'm against... It's our state taxes, being spent in away that has grown totally out of control... All IMO!

Ron - Hope they 'find you soon'. And ask them if not, to put you on pension as a State Fire Fighter!

Best to all,
Smitty

Old 03-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #17

Lanerd- unless I miss my guess, your problem revolves around "importing" a vehicle that has never been registered anywhere; once registered somewhere other than CA this process is remarkably smoother. When we bought an 06 Alpine, and later the coach I have now, I had to go thru the same DMV approved officer VIN/tag verification. I accomplished that at a local CHP station near my house w/the officer that is in charge of school bus inspections. If you are still mickey mousing around w/that part, find that guy in your area, he will know the regs better than anybody else you can find. That guy will also do a variety of CHP vehicle inspections on a regular basis. You'll find the local DMB officers will only be able to handle gas car cases & perhaps a home made trailer.

Since I'm only 45 minutes from the Sacramento HQ, I took my VIN verification along w/all my other "Cert of Origin" and other paperwork in direct to the Office of Foreign Vehicles (or something like that) in person. They were shocked. Apparently nobody ever actually shows up, everybody does their business w/this office by mail. But the local DMB office couldn't figure out what to do w/a "foreign" vehicle and I got a stupid run around there. so off to Sacramento. Gal in Sacto said the VIN verification was in error. Went back to the CHP office (with bus again), guy was exasperated, and basically said OK, how did she want it filled out (she wanted Model on the MFGR line & MFGR on the Model line). "Well that's b.s., but if that's what she wants, that's just exactly what we'll do." So he filled out another VIN verification, and gave me both, "Just in case she changes her mind & wants it done right." Well, of course, she changed here mind when I gave her the revised one, so I asked how she wanted it done and when she stated the way it was done first time, I whipped that one out. Now the discussion was about why I had two VIN verifications for the same vehicle, cuz that ain't right, blah, blah, blah. Once I talked myself out of an arrest for felonious possession of duplicate VIN verifications, she took the stack of paperwork w/my check & I had plates in a week.

I recommend you deal w/the most expert tag verifier (I believe that tag on your rig is visible on top of engine block flange above the air compressor), and the most expert Office of Foreign Vehicles (or whatever) department employee you can find. I don't recall the gal's name, but it wouldn't matter as I believe you only have to work 5 years for the state of CA after which full retirement & medical is vested for life and you have accrued enough vacation time to vacation out to retirement, so she's probably gone by now.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Angry

Actually, my coach has been inspected twice so far. Once by an inspector in Bakersfiled (big office) who only wanted to verify the VIN in two different places. Never asked to see the emission tag on the engine. I notice later on my copy that she had only checked off the box marked: "Emission certified for EPA"....not " Emission certified for California and EPA".

A month later when I still had no plates or registration I went down to the local DMV and they said that they have to inspect the emission tag on the engine....well, I had done my homework and knew exactly where the tag was (in fact it was on top of the timing chain cover) and even had the engine hatch open so that they could take a look with my flashlight.

They did indeed see the tag and once again verified two VIN number locations and resent the inspection form with the correct box checked. That was a month ago. In the mean time, our temp operating permit expires at the end of this month (3rd temp issued since August).

Back in November when it was discovered that we had paid the registration fees twice (once during the purchase and then again the first time we went to the local DMV), they (local DMV) said they were in error in requiring the 2nd payment and would refund us the correct amount. Four months later and still no refund. The Sacto DMV person also said that the 2nd registration payment would be refunded.

We have tried to get a hold of the person we've been talking to at Sacramento and all week she has either gone home early or is off the rest of the week. And of course, no one else there in the office has access to her files. We will be calling back on Monday....for the sixth or seventh time.

This is really getting old.

lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california