Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Question California smog check banks power system?

I am looking at a 199 Rexhall gasser v-10 with a Banks power system (headers plus other stuff). The MH is registered in Nevada. Purchase will be in California. California law says a seller has to get the motor vehicle smogged before selling it. Tampering with the exhaust is a no no. How do California MH owners pass smog with modified exhaust?
I think we are going to be buying a MH soon, 1-3 months then I 'll be busy working on it and asking a lot less questions. Is there a limit on the number of questions I can ask here?
sCarycary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome. This is a no limit lake . I thought I was going to have to get past the smog issue as well, but it turned out that I was over the weight limit. Keep that in mind when you purchase. The smog requirements are all listed on the CA DMV web site, including weight limitations. Good luck
a10koaksfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm pretty sure you'll find the Banks headers are CARB certified. Check with Banks, if it is needed they can probably provide any papers or certification numbers that California inspection might require.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #4

I didn't even get a second look when I smogged my Rockwood this week with Banks in order to be ready to sell it. It's all CARB legal, AFAIK.

HOWEVER, keep in mind that you are buying this motorhome outside California (you said it is registered in Nevada... whether the owner keeps it there, the bottom line is that as far as California DMV cares, you are buying out of state). It will be *your* responsibility to get it to pass smog, etc. If it's already here in California, you may well be able to have the seller get it smogged on his dime, but if you buy it without it being through smog check first, and then you take it and it fails, you are going to have zero recourse and will have to pay to get it past smog yourself.

In general, I still think it will pass smog unless something's not right, but I'm just pointing out the issue.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Banks

The PO had the banks installed on the motor-home before I bought it, and I had it smoged with no problem what so ever, in fact if pass the smog test the very first attempt.
kartvines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:17 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In my Banks owners manual it states the exhaust system is treated as an original part replacement, not a modification. This is because Banks incorporated all the OEM smog equipment into it's design. That of course only pertains to the vehicle if the correct parts were installed on it. It also came with a Banks smog compliance sticker to apply under the hood.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Better have that sticker. Banks is concidered 'after-market' mods. We failed a couple already because no sticker.
mr300ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I checked the California DMV web site. Over 14,000 lbs GVWR is exempt from smog check. I haven't found the GVWR of a 1999 36' Rexhall Aerbus yet. I am suspecting it will be over 14,000 lbs.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Visually failing a vehicle during a CA smog test is up to the individual technician. He and he alone is responsible for any fines for passing a modified vehicle, wether it passes the emissions test or not.
With that said a good tech would do his homework before failing a Banks equipped motor home. The only harm done is to the smog check facility, the customer will likely never go back there again and will tell many others of their poor service experience.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sCarycary View Post
Well I checked the California DMV web site. Over 14,000 lbs GVWR is exempt from smog check. I haven't found the GVWR of a 1999 36' Rexhall Aerbus yet. I am suspecting it will be over 14,000 lbs.
sCarycary,
The following text was cut and paste from the CA DMV site;

Quote:
Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is:

Hybrid
Gasoline powered 1975 year model or older
Diesel powered manufactured prior to 1998 or with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs
Electric
Natural gas powered with a GVWR rating of more than 14,000 lbs.
Motorcycle
Trailer
The quote regarding GVWR exemption is for diesel and natural gas only. Diesel is exempt if manufactured before 1998, and exempt after 1998 if the diesel GVWR is over 14,000 lbs.
This means that all gas coaches require a smog cert whatever the GVWR is.
I know because the DMV required a smog check when I bought my 1997 gasser a few months ago. My GVWR is 17,000 lbs.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rats! Wishful thinking on my part,reading into it what I wanted to see. Well I'll default to the Banks website and look for a sticker on it when I go back to inspect it again. Thanks for catching that for me.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Banks emissions sticker I received reads as follows;

Gale Banks Engineering PowerPack System is classified as being "a replacement part" as defined in title 13, section 1900, California code of regulations and it does not need an exemption from California Air Resources Board (CARB) to be legally sold and used in California. This system also meets the requirements of Memorandum 1A of the United States EPA Clean AIr Act.

If you have questions concerning emissions testing. please call Gale Banks Engineering (888) 839-2700

Old 11-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Here is a page with some helpful info.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php
And Yes, the tech & station are the ones to be fined, often in the 4 figure area, that is why they look for the exemption sticker that the law says must be in clear site on the add-on part.
The tech does not want to loose his smog license that is his livelyhood.
mr300ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After dealing with California DMV about a car I bought in Arizona and then registered here in California my recommendation is as follows:
Call three different DMV offices and explain what you are doing and what they require to register the vehicle in California.
There is a possibility you will get more than one answer, believe me, I know.
It doesn't matter what any company tells you, it's the DMV that determines what happens. Period.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote