Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
CAMCO POWER MAXIMIZER. Has anyone used one?

We own a 2007 40ft DP Winni Vectra with a Onan 8000 and a power line energy management system. We saw an add for a Power Maximizer that claims to use a 30 Amp male and a 15 Amp male to give us 45 Amps. We had to book some 30 Amp sites on our next trip so we bought it (40$) I am concerned that this set up will confuse or damage the energy management system. The display for the system only has indicators for 50, 30 and 20, not 45.
I have saved myself time and heart ache from great advise from IRV2 in the past so before I give it a try at my home ( I have a 30 AMP outlet) I thought I would ask if anyone out there has used this cord before and had problems.
Thanks, MAV

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many variations of these GFCI outlet testers.
Now, RV parks come in 4 types

One: Older grandfathered parks where they have both a 20 and 30 amp outlet in the panel NO GFCI, The device WILL work in this kind of park, NOTE: These parks are becomming rarer and rarer all the time

Two: Very common by the way, 30 and 20 amp but the 20's are GFCI
Device will trip the GFCI, 100%, if it fails to trip GFCI, GFCI is defective

Three: ONLY one outlet in box.. (Nuff said)

Four a&b, Paired 30 amp outlets in box, or two boxes side by side,, SOME of them (The b ones) are GFCI, see comments on Two.

I would recommend against

Old 07-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I haven't bought it. I'm an electrical engineer:
In theory, it could work. It would be dependent upon the 30A and 15A connections being on the same leg (phase) as well as both being on discreet circuits OR fed by a feed that will do 45 amps. My guess is that some sites that are 30A only are literally use the 30A or use the 15A, but don't use both.

Note, it's probably not what you're expecting. It's going to be 30A + 15A over 120 volts, which is (30 amps +15 amps ) * 120volts = 5400 watts maximum.

The 50A connections you're used to are actually at 240volts, so there is a lot more power there. 50 amps + 240 volts = 12000 watts maximum.

At $40 or so, it might be worth a try, but again - don't expect it to be the same as a 240 volt 50A connection.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, I read in the add that it would not work with GFI. Forgot that my home is GFI you already saved me some trouble. I did not realize that the parks were going to GFI on their box's. Great post!!
Old 07-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, it took my a second to wipe the bubble off my face. I guess I should have known it was to good to be true. by the way does anyone want to buy a Power Maximizer for 30$!HA HA. It sounds like this cord would only work in very rare situations and even then never to full power. Thanks
Old 07-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin MAV View Post
I did not realize that the parks were going to GFI on their box's. Great post!!
Largely anything, kitchen, bathroom, garage, or outdoors should be GFCI.

You may find the power you're looking for in your home. If you have a "dedicated" circuit in the garage for a fridge, this may not be GFCI.
Electric dryer connections and Electric water heater connections are usually 240v... I don't know if this helps your situation or not... Pretty easy to make (or buy) long power cords too.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #7

I have one and I have used it. Cranked up a bunch of stuff and blew the 15 amp breaker on the post, did it twice. I have no explanation as to why, but I believe the power was drawn equally from the 2 legs, and of course, the 15 blew when it reached its limit. So.....no 45 amps, not worth owning.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #8

I use one similar to this one. We use it at some Georgia State Parks that have twin 30 amp connections in the pedestal. It will not work with a 20 amp GFCI usually associated with most RV pedestals. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405733175.848504.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	68348

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #9

If you measure 240 across them it is possible for it to work.

If 120 at each but zero across them it will not work....safely

Tags
power