Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #1

Camera upgrade

Hi All,
First time posting!.... I am looking at a used LaPalma, and to my surprise it only has the one back-up camera [as opposed to the 3-camera]. This seems like a decent option to have [I pull a trailer]. It was an option apparently, but this particular unit does not have it.
Is upgrading a difficult job?, can it be done?, is it expensive?

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
jbaker400
jbaker400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaker400 View Post
Hi All,
First time posting!.... I am looking at a used LaPalma, and to my surprise it only has the one back-up camera [as opposed to the 3-camera]. This seems like a decent option to have [I pull a trailer]. It was an option apparently, but this particular unit does not have it.
Is upgrading a difficult job?, can it be done?, is it expensive?

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
jbaker400

Check with these guys they should be bale to answer your questions.
RV Cams, Inc -- Wholesale Distributor of Premium Backup Camera Systems
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I did mine with a 4 camera system but the only issue I had once it was all said and done was the new LCD screens and glare. I did however install a glare screen which helped a lot.

Running new cables was also a bear as I needed to get the cable from the back all the way to the dash but it can be done just takes time.
jroethke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We have three cameras on this RV and I use them but, I could make do with just the rear one easily. I would not go to a great expense to have 3.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:03 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Camera upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
We have three cameras on this RV and I use them but, I could make do with just the rear one easily. I would not go to a great expense to have 3.

I agree with Cousin Ed. Our MH has the rear, left-turn and right-turn view cameras as well, and I do use them. I have found the rear camera essential but the left and right view cameras took some getting used to. After 5 years experience with the three camera system, I must admit I prefer the combination flat/convex side view mirrors along with the rear view camera, over the side view cameras.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroethke View Post

Running new cables was also a bear as I needed to get the cable from the back all the way to the dash but it can be done just takes time.
Were you able to tape new cable to old (and a tail cord to new) and then pull it through, or is there another trick we should know about?

Hard to imagine pulling a cable 40' through the ceiling without hanging up on something, and that's the sticking point for me getting a color camera.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:55 AM   #7
Community Moderator

A neighbor of mine has these at his house and they work great. I see no reason why they wouldn't work great mounted to an RV ? Just run power cables to the cameras. RadioShack or another source has DC-DC converters to adapt 12 volts to whatever voltage the cameras need ( I've seen 5v, 9v as the most common)

Fully weatherproof. Strong wireless signal (not wifi so doesn't need routers and such) wireless 8 inch color display. This is what I would probably try.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405770877.532796.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	68371
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
A neighbor of mine has these at his house and they work great. I see no reason why they wouldn't work great mounted to an RV ? Just run power cables to the cameras. RadioShack or another source has DC-DC converters to adapt 12 volts to whatever voltage the cameras need ( I've seen 5v, 9v as the most common)

Fully weatherproof. Strong wireless signal (not wifi so doesn't need routers and such) wireless 8 inch color display. This is what I would probably try.

Attachment 68371
I have 8 of that type of camera around the house, and resolution is iffy at best...especially if somebody is moving (walking). The image blurs.

I imagine that milspec systems would have much better resolution, but add another 0 to that price, then. After hooking everything, I wasn't impressed.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:21 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Camera upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
I have 8 of that type of camera around the house, and resolution is iffy at best...especially if somebody is moving (walking). The image blurs.

I imagine that milspec systems would have much better resolution, but add another 0 to that price, then. After hooking everything, I wasn't impressed.
You say "...of that type" but they are not specifically Lorex? Maybe the Lorex brand is better in this regard?

Wouldn't it be okay for backing up or seeing what cars are in the lanes beside the RV? And I like the recording feature !
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #10

Quote:
You say "...of that type" but they are not specifically Lorex? Maybe the Lorex brand is better in this regard?

Wouldn't it be okay for backing up or seeing what cars are in the lanes beside the RV? And I like the recording feature !
The brand I have is LaView, at about the same price point, and cameras look identical (likely made in the same Chinese factory?)

My original comments about clarity were made because my application's goal was positive facial recognition.

Considering that most images on your MH's screen will be following traffic (same speed) or backing up (very slow speed), I agree with your application.

Also, the images I look at are on a 21" monitor, and they would surely look sharper on a 7" screen. I say, Try It, and let us know what you learn
Old 07-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:

Attachment 68371
They are not weatherproof. I have had 3 get "wet" inside with rain - resulting in failure. This is at my house not traveling down a road.
They have extremely short range.
Basically they are junk.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #12
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
look at AliExpress.com - Online Shopping for Electronics, Fashion, Home & Garden, Toys & Sports, Automobiles from China. and or Wholesale - Buy China Wholesale Products from Chinese Wholesalers on DHgate.com for similar products from the original suppliers.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #13

Quote:

Two more thoughts about using wireless home cameras:
a. They are generally a 65 degree viewing angle, compared with a 120 or 130 degree angle for rear view cameras. Seeing alongside of you will be reduced by a bunch.
b. Wireless cameras chew up bandwidth (according to reviews), so that might be worth knowing if you use your computer on the road.

For the same price as the Lorex, here's http://www.rearviewsafety.com/home-p...er-rv-cam.html

I wish I knew what the differences are between a $250 system and a $750 system?
Old 07-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #14

my issue

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I will anyway. My 2000 Coachman has an Audiovox AOC-75 B&W camera that has quit, can I simply put new camera onto same cable? I think that they no longer make the AOC-75.
tom076 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, upgrade