Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #43

South Florida is a dangerous place

Just to clarify my statement, we have lived here for 17 years; I am a dockmaster running 2 marinas and a busy fuel dock and I work with law enforcement everyday. Many of the local officers and county sheriffs officers have witnessed this escalation of violence first hand; the problem is real and getting worse during these tough times. Just because you as a resident of South Florida and have not been a victim does not mean you are safe.

You can make your self safer by not being out late at night, staying away from known dangerous areas,making sure your home or RV is as break-in proof as possible, not opening your doors to strangers, and getting a fire arm and permit if you are so inclined. Keep in mind that a gun does not make you safer unless you are trained to use it, and understand the consequences if you do.

When we go full time in July we will be doing a lot of travelling and will still spend the winter in South Florida. As we travel I will remember what I have learned here and take every precaution to insure our safety. DACOTAH
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMXDave View Post
Your first statement is wrong....in spelling and in content. Your second statement is correct...we don't have the US Constitution in Canada. As Canucks we can arm ourselves just as legally and readily as our US neighbors, however most of us do not as we don't live in a state of perpetual fear of our fellow man.
when i lived in canada that spelling was correct and the term "canuck" was an offensive term . Americans do not live in constant fear but many an American does live in a state of readiness and i have been a Proud American resident for 55 years and an even prouder American citizen for35 years.
brianj
Old 02-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #45
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotah View Post
Just to clarify my statement, we have lived here for 17 years; I am a dockmaster running 2 marinas and a busy fuel dock and I work with law enforcement everyday. Many of the local officers and county sheriffs officers have witnessed this escalation of violence first hand; the problem is real and getting worse during these tough times. Just because you as a resident of South Florida and have not been a victim does not mean you are safe.

DACOTAH
In as much as this is off topic, I felt compelled to respond to a statement referring to the place I call home as being a " dangerous place to live".

South Florida comprises Palm Beach County south to the Fl. Keys. That is over 200 miles and has a population of over six million people. It of course has some bad neighbor hoods as any populated area does. Obviously the area where you're Marina's are fit this description ,however the vast area mentioned above does not. My 2 cents.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
In as much as this is off topic, I felt compelled to respond to a statement referring to the place I call home as being a " dangerous place to live".

South Florida comprises Palm Beach County south to the Fl. Keys. That is over 200 miles and has a population of over six million people. It of course has some bad neighbor hoods as any populated area does. Obviously the area where you're Marina's are fit this description ,however the vast area mentioned above does not. My 2 cents.
South FL for 99% of folks does not include the Keys. The Keys dont want to be associated with South FL...lol.
Riviera Beach, Dania Beach, Hialeah, and all the way to Homestead. Thats only a small fraction.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #47

My marina's are surrounded by million dollar condos and townhouses and have two of the most popular restaurants in South Florida. We have two law enforcement marine patrol boats in one of the marinas; both marinas are new and upscale housing expensive boats and yachts. Sorry to bust your profile; I stand by my story.

Also, I really like living here, the problem is for unsuspecting snow birds who visit and think that this piece of paradise is as safe as what they are used to at home. All you have to do is become very street smart and follow the advise given me by my friends in law enforcement.

We have probably said enough about this senseless tragedy and should concentrate on giving condolences to the families of the victim. DACOTAH
Old 02-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #48
Community Administrator

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2011/04/26...tate-wide-low/

Old 02-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #49
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Its called being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Its 2012 not 1940 there are a lot of crazies out there of all nationalities all over the place.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #50
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1
Its called being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Its 2012 not 1940 there are a lot of crazies out there of all nationalities all over the place.
Exactly

Old 02-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotah View Post

You can make your self safer by not being out late at night, staying away from known dangerous areas,making sure your home or RV is as break-in proof as possible, not opening your doors to strangers, and getting a fire arm and permit if you are so inclined. Keep in mind that a gun does not make you safer unless you are trained to use it, and understand the consequences if you do.

When we go full time in July we will be doing a lot of travelling and will still spend the winter in South Florida. As we travel I will remember what I have learned here and take every precaution to insure our safety. DACOTAH

Well said!!!!
Txcirclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
when i lived in canada that spelling was correct and the term "canuck" was an offensive term . Americans do not live in constant fear but many an American does live in a state of readiness and i have been a Proud American resident for 55 years and an even prouder American citizen for35 years.
brianj
Here is your original post below. A Canadian lives in Canada. If you are French, a Canadien lives in Canada. Please note the capitalization. When you refer to a country or a citizen of that country it is customary and correct to use capital letters. You will never see me use the term "american" or "us constitution" as I have the utmost respect for my neighbors to the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
as a canadien he is not allowed to own protection stronger than wasp spray
Canadians use "Canuck" as an affectionate or merely descriptive term for their nationality. Other nationalities may use the word as an affectionate, or derogatory, or merely a descriptive term. It is also the name of a NHL hockey team.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #53
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It seems like this is a good time to call a "Time Out" as we seem to be getting off topic.

This is the line!
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #54
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There have been many, many threads on RV'ing security, and a search should bring it back up, so I'm not posting on "security."

Just remember that every single place that you stop at is a potential security risk. Some have a higher percentage factor, but as travelers it is not always a known item. Be observant.

And most of all, stay safe.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #55

People's perception if risk can be strange sometimes. One should always take reasonable precautions against crime but the reality is that we probably are orders of magnitude more likely to be killed in a motor vehicle accident or by an unknown health problem, etc., than have a crime like this happen to us. Got to keep some perspective folks.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #56

Smiller, this is true. However I have fire extinguishers in my home, rv & Van, as well as work can incase of an unlikely fire, have locks on our doors in the unlikely burglary , have spare keys, well, you get the idea. Personal protection & proper training is just another tool. It's not for everyone, I understand why some are creeped out by these things. Just don't be critical of those who choose to protect themselves, or maybe even you.
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote