Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #127

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'll have to admit I have knocked on people's doors that I did not know, ONCE.

After being at a park for a week and missing the opportunity to meet these people outside their coach several times and knowing I would be leaving the next day I knocked!

They had just drove in, got out of toad and walked into MH, I knocked, moved back from door and waited.

I knew these would be interesting people, Maybe hog farmers are something, they had a big Red Razorback Hog on the front of their motor home, how classy is that!

Flaggship, I'll be looking for you to come knocking, like mine medium rare! So does DW!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #128

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I stand corrected and apologize. The OP did offer the "rig admiration knock" as an ice breaker. Probably thought it was a good generic greeting. Not sure they were asking for a tour, but neither here nor there. Again - I apologize.

It did seem that the responses also leaned toward - don't knock on my door for any reason other than an emergency of some kind. And you have now added the curtains are closed. So lets also turn off the lights. Well sir, even a little common sense would say if the place looks closed for the night there's no good reason to knock other than an emergency. So +1

Again - we put the Open and Closed sign in the window next to the door. Curtains open, curtains closed, if the Closed sign is out we're closed. I am not afraid to open my door - am not afraid to have the Open sign out. But we don't give tours. Coach isn't for sale - and not going to live like it's Open House - BTDT. If your motives are pure - feel free to knock if we're Open. If your motives are not pure - there is no good time for you to knock on my door, if ya get my drift.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #129

I knocked on a closed door last Saturday at around 11:30AM. Our batteries were dead and we were looking for a set of jumper cables.

The gentleman answered the door, was polite, had no jumper cables, and no problem!

"Ye don't receive because you don't ask."
Old 12-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #130

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I stand corrected and apologize. The OP did offer the "rig admiration knock" as an ice breaker. Probably thought it was a good generic greeting. Not sure they were asking for a tour, but neither here nor there. Again - I apologize.

It did seem that the responses also leaned toward - don't knock on my door for any reason other than an emergency of some kind. And you have now added the curtains are closed. So lets also turn off the lights. Well sir, even a little common sense would say if the place looks closed for the night there's no good reason to knock other than an emergency. So +1

Again - we put the Open and Closed sign in the window next to the door. Curtains open, curtains closed, if the Closed sign is out we're closed. I am not afraid to open my door - am not afraid to have the Open sign out. But we don't give tours. Coach isn't for sale - and not going to live like it's Open House - BTDT. If your motives are pure - feel free to knock if we're Open. If your motives are not pure - there is no good time for you to knock on my door, if ya get my drift.

You appear to be very sociable and have a good idea about the open closed sign. To be honest I am not sure what I would think if I saw a sign that said open or closed in the window. I would probably believe you were selling something. In my limited experience people that want to chat and be sociable spend more time outside. My wife and I have an office set up In our camper. I do some consulting work representing a union at arbitrations. When I am preparing for an arbitration I am busy just thinking sometimes and someone knocking at the door would be a distraction. When I am just relaxing my wife and I walk around the campground or sit in lawn chairs. Sometimes I go down and fish if I am where that is possible. Not all people are in campgrounds all of the time just to enjoy camping. We drive our bus to various cities for work. I try and get there a couple of days before an arbitration and then depending on my schedule we try and relaxe for a few days after. One of our favorite campgrounds in LIttle Rock Arkansas is the COE park in Maumelle. One section of the park is reserved for families that are getting treatment at the University of Arkansas Medical School. There might be people that are sick and would not want to get up and answer the door every time someone knocked. I am not saying camping is not a great way to enjoy life and socialize. I am just saying not everyone is appreciative of strangers walking up to their door and knocking.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #131

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^ all good by me. As to what to think about the sign - unless you were standing in front of our door, you probably wouldn't see it. If we were sitting at the picnic table and we ended up talking, we would explain the sign to you. If we met fishing and I felt like inviting you to stop by when out for a walk, or for a beverage or meal, I would explain the sign to you. If we agreed on 5 but had to run out for ice or something - we would move the Be Back time to 5:15. So basically - nobody has to guess - except a walk up and whatever they think it may mean - Closed means Closed. So far it works for us. And that's what counts.

Since you are actually working - but not open for business - perhaps you could use a Closed sign to help keep folks away. You could just put it away when not working - cause you don't really want to be "Open" to a knock anyway. Or maybe hang a sock on the door handle. Worked in college.

I do get the sense there are quite a few that should get a No Trespassing or Approach With Caution sign. That would make it easy for everyone. Or we can just all stay way from each other until the invitations come back from the printer. From now on - I will look at all my neighbors and size them up - and then think Here's Your Sign.

Happy travels to all!!
Steve and Annie
Old 12-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #132

I have several souvenir "DO NOT DISTURB" signs I "borrowed" from hotels over the years, and when I am having a nap (or whatever) I hang one on my door at home and on our RV door as the circumstance dictates. I also put my phone on silent and let the voice mail take the call when we do not want to be disturbed. Otherwise, if a visitor has a valid reason to knock on my door such as an emergency or something of importance to us or if I can help a neighbor, that is fine by me, but I do not appreciate unsolicited doorknocks, phone calls or any aoproaches to my by people trying to sell me anything or promote thier cause. Don't mind people leaving a flyer etc.

I would need a good reason to knock on a strangers door though and I would think more than twice about it.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #133

Well, it sounds like the majority would agree that proper etiquette is to approach when people are outside the camper and not knock unless there is an emergency or prior invitation regardless of one's personal thoughts on how sociable and inviting people should be?
Old 12-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimaxp View Post
What other things are most annoying to you when you're in a Class A park? .
Okay, the knocking issue has been done pretty well.

What's next?

A big annoyance is folks not controlling their pets.

1. Not picking up poo
2. Continous barking
3. A leash that is over allowed length
4. Dogs not on a leash

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 12-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #135
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

What's next?

1. Not picking up poo
2. Continous barking
4. Dogs not on a leash
boy you covered it all very well. the only thing I can think to add is if you go visiting people at another site, and they don't have pets leave yours at your camp site. there's a reason they don't have their own.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #136

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

1. Not picking up poo
2. Continous barking
4. Dogs not on a leash

You've pretty much nailed it! Way worse than the occasional overly chatty neighbor who might come a knocking! Also WAY more common of an annoyance.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #137

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
boy you covered it all very well. the only thing I can think to add is if you go visiting people at another site, and they don't have pets leave yours at your camp site. there's a reason they don't have their own.
X10 not everyone enjoys your pet! Don't get me wrong I have dogs, 2 , they are labs and will set or lay where ever I tell them without bothering anyone!

And don't try to feed my dogs, they are feed quit well! I don't travel with my dogs unless I'm on a hunting trip, they are very happy in their kennel and cared for quit well.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #138

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I rarely knock on a door unless they have left lights on their TOAD or some other occasion when not knocking would mean a bit of pain for them.

Personally, I don't mind anyone knocking on my door. I can choose not to answer just as easy as you can choose to knock. Not a big deal, although I would be suspicious of someone knocking at night after my porch light is out. Better be pretty important and, if it is that important, I would expect you to be yelling for me to get out of my home before it burns or explodes,
Old 12-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #139

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:

What's next?

1. Not picking up poo
2. Continous barking
4. Dogs not on a leash
5. Arriving late at night with every light blazing and (seemingly) making as much racket as possible.
6. Doing the same when braking camp at "dawn o'clock"
7. Idling your coach for more than needed in either of the above (isn't 10 minutes enough, really?).
8. Leaving trash and more behind when departing.
9. Lots of foul mouth language around my kids (worse when it's at a high volume, regardless of the time of day).

Just my two cents.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimaxp View Post
We just got our first MH, well waiting on delivery. We've read about some campground no-no's like walking across sites, picking up after pets and keeping them secure. Quiet times. Common respect, no brainers.

But out there others? What about socializing? Sometimes when walking around the grounds we see really beautiful MH's or some that have different features. Is it rude to come up and knock on the door to say "HI, we were just admiring your beautiful coach..."

We don't mind when our people in our neighborhood knock on our door ( at reasonable times of course) to ask something or tell us something, but that may just be us.

What other things are most annoying to you when you're in a Class A park?

We want to be friendly, but good MH neighbors.
Hi we will also approach if someone is outside. One pet peeve is people who don't say hi. It's a small community after all even for a short time, another is the walking on our site and finally setting up and putting out chairs, rugs, etc. Seriously!! At midnight

Georgetown 328TS Class A 2010 Toyota Corolla
Closed Thread

Tags
campground