Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnMelba View Post
I find it interesting that the people who say that the smoke is no problem are always sitting upwind of the fire.

Smoke follows beauty.....ever heard that? I can never get away from smoke

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnMelba View Post
I find it interesting that the people who say that the smoke is no problem are always sitting upwind of the fire.
Fair enough. I've never been to a campground where the sites were so close and positioned as to where smoke from someone else's campfire would be in the problem category however.

With my own fire, I always seem to have a personal low pressure zone as the wind and smoke always find me. Oh well, I still love the Smokey smell of my jacket the next morning. I also like the smell of my neighbor's fireplace at the stick house.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #87

I thought I was the only one that smoke followed me... As a Cub Scout/Boy Scout, I could move around the camp fire, and it would follow me everytime !!! But I have NO problem with good camp fires while camping.. I love the smell of a good wood fire,,, I guess as long as it's not smoking us out inside our rv...
Old 12-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #88

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Alas in today's world, Walking up to a "Stranger's" motor home and knocking on the door, or walking up to a stranger's house, (or in some cases your own or your grandmother's house) can get you shot. In fact there is a case in, I think Dearborn (or Dearborn heights) Michigan where a young lady knocked on a door and got shot dead.. She most likely wanted to phone for a ride, possibly an ambulance. (long story, look it up).

I follow the rule of only knocking on the door if I'm well known to the people inside or if I'm expected, Else I wait to catch them "out and about" the rig.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #89

More on campfires

Geesh, the campfire issue just won't blow away along with the smoke!

Lovely seasonal story from our local paper on campfires and smoke (although 2 years old):

www.langleytimes.com/opinion/135277968.html

One solution to the smoke is the old superstition - say "white rabbit" or "I hate white rabbits" 3 times. May also help if you hop on one foot and/or if you put a hand out first. May also help if you say it first before someone says something else first. Works every time for DW but never for me. (tears from smoke in eyes) I just move the chair around.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #90

I have no problem with someone knocking on my door as long as the hour is reasonable. If they have a bottle of wine and just want to introduce themselves, all the better. We travel and camp to meet and enjoy new people and places. I can't tell you how many times a quick hello has turned into a long evening of drinks and food. We've met some really fun people since we bought our rig.

I don't mind the wood fires at all, but do prefer my campfire in a can in a pot :-)

Old 12-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #91

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Folk's, let's knock off the personal comments and stay on topic discussing the issue, not each other.

Good advice
Old 12-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post

Don't walk openly all over with booze in your hand. .
OK redracer... help me out with this one.

How is it rude and how does it negatively impact the camping experience of others?

I get the part about not wanting intoxicated people around you, but why would you feel that others need to consume in secret?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 12-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
OK redracer... help me out with this one.

How is it rude and how does it negatively impact the camping experience of others?

I get the part about not wanting intoxicated people around you, but why would you feel that others need to consume in secret?

Rick
I don't know about where you camp, but where we do, there's frequently a lot of kids around and it sets a bad example. And in Canada and the US (with the odd exception), it's illegal to walk around in a public place with even an open container of alcohol let alone consume it.

I don't see where I used the word "rude". The question was regarding "etiquette"...
Old 12-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #94

There are some campgrounds that have permanent residence. Often the permanent residence live in campers that look as they haven't been moved in years. Once when we stopped for the night at this kind CG I was walking the dog and I went past a young man sitting in his car playing his radio loudly. He jumped out of his car, look at me and said "There I turned the music down, is that Ok with you?" I replied that the music didn't bother me at all. Later another resident came up to me and was overly friendly and talkative. Don't get me wrong I love people coming up starting a conversation, but this guy became annoying. The only reason I bring this up, is it sort of feels like in the campgrounds that have permanent residence that maybe there is a whole different set of rules for over nighters.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #95

I probably wouldn't mind if someone knocked on my door if at a reasonable hour however I personally would refrain from doing so to others unless an emergency arises. We tend to stay at family oriented resorts and not the higher end Class A parks therefore we expect children playing , dogs , campfires, etc. However I do have a pet peeve.. people that camp with vicious dogs regardless of the bread or size. I witnessed two campers walking their dogs and watched as the one dog viciously attacked the other for no apparent reason. As careful as I am with our dogs there is always that chance that our little friendly 8 lb dog escapes and goes visiting. I cringe to think that a small child or dog could accidentally meet up with one of these animals and get seriously hurt. Family friendly in my opinion includes dogs.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
Old 12-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
I don't know about where you camp, but where we do, there's frequently a lot of kids around and it sets a bad example. And in Canada and the US (with the odd exception), it's illegal to walk around in a public place with even an open container of alcohol let alone consume it.

I don't see where I used the word "rude". The question was regarding "etiquette"...
Thanks for the explanation.

I know nothing of the laws in Canada and realize that in the US many cities have ordinance prohibiting open containers in public. But, we're talking about a campground here where admission is paid by those who stay there and only registered guests are allowed. A law barring public consumption here would certainly upset a lot of NFL fans.

Thanks again.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 12-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondar View Post
I have no problem with someone knocking on my door as long as the hour is reasonable. If they have a bottle of wine and just want to introduce themselves, all the better. We travel and camp to meet and enjoy new people and places. I can't tell you how many times a quick hello has turned into a long evening of drinks and food. We've met some really fun people since we bought our rig.

I don't mind the wood fires at all, but do prefer my campfire in a can in a pot :-)

Since I don't want to transport beetles to another state and I don't want to pay 10 bucks for 5 sticks of wood, these campfires are becoming more appealing.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #98

If there is plenty of space between sites by all means build your fire on the other hand I was at myrtle beach thanksgiving and my camping neighbor built his fire 3 ft from my MH and the wind was blowing straight at me. He got the hint and moved his fire. I say think about your smoke and be courteous not everyone wants their Rv to smell like smoke.

Tags
campground