Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Barge View Post
Some things never change..
"Common sense is not so common." *Voltaire (1764)

Speaking of which, typically the night before predicates our actions following morning. ie we generally leave early going to a race event we try to leave as cleanly and as quietly as possible. So much so that I don't let the air down to level so to not need to air up the system in the morning so we can just start and go. Generally with just retracting the slides/unhook shore power and creep out.

However if the party folk are up late making inconsiderate noise, as stated above, you'd be surprised at how long it takes me to air up, high idle, fan the brakes, recycle up my aluminum cans on my way out.

What goes around...
payback can be so sweet sometimes.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
common sense would be that when you see fire pits that there would be fires there. at that point you would either leave or accept the fact there will be smoke in the cg before you set up. if you accept there will be smoke there don't after the fact go ask someone to put their fire out who is enjoying the amenities they payed for. you already made your decision and payed your money to stay.

That's a really good point. I have left a campground in the past based on common sense. Well, that and the guy driving the golf cart around with an "I Love Boobies" sign on it and the Sherriff's deputy with bullet proof vest patrolling...
Old 12-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #115

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Thank you, wrvond , That was interesting. I never hauled firewood so I never gave it much thought.
All of the state campgrounds in Arkansas and I suspect other places have signs that you cannot bring firewood into the campground from another area.

I might suggest to people that want to see that shiny new whichever camper your neighbor has that you take down the model number go on the internet and find a dealer that carries them. The next time you are in that area you can go to the dealership I am very sure they will be more than happy to show you everything about that camper and explain any questions you have about it.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #116

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good point Gemini - although I don't think anyone actually said they wanted to knock on a door to see a coach. It was the assumption of those not wanting their door knocked on. To me, knocking on a strangers door to see there coach is like walking streets knocking on doors asking to come in and look around. Makes no sense. Until this thread, I thought it might be ok to knock on a door and ask if they wanted a steak and a glass of red cause we have extra, but not any more. I'm going to be a little more stingy with my stuff now, oops I meant - more courteous and sensitive to others.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #117

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There's an old farm say about a "Dog in the Hay Manger". The dog barks at the cattle and won't let them eat. The dog doesn't want the hay, it doesn't even like hay, it just doesn't want the cattle to have it either. Lots of folks like that.

I have never knocked on someones MH door, but if I wanted to I would. I would just need a good reason. Folks have approached me and wanted a tour of our old Airstream before we sold it. I told them to come back after dinner and we'd be glad to let them in. Why not? We actually set up a tour time once.

You're going to run into grouches and grumps where ever you go. They're all over the place. I'm not one and never want to be. I think the camping experience is all about meeting people and having fun. I like a good fire with neighbors and laughing a little. I do think that there aren't too many folks that want to take a chance and make friends out of strangers. Shame. Take the initiative to them. Take a chance.

Now my DW is shy. She'll hang back for a while but generally she will get to know someone and warm up. Nothing wrong with that.

We used to have a very large black lab who did not like other dogs. She loved people though. All people. We would warn folks that she didn't like other dogs but they would still bring their dogs up to meet her. Usually did not end well.

In the end be yourself. If you run into a grouch or grump, steer clear. Otherwise just have fun. All you have to do is use some common sense and the Golden Rule.

To all Grouches and Grumps, if I say hello and you just want to be left alone, just say so, but do be careful how you address me. My tolerance level for bad manners is kinda low and I am Irish.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Old 12-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #118

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Knock Knock - Cooperhawk - how do ya like your steak? Red like your wine? Or a little darker?
Old 12-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #119

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Knock Knock - Cooperhawk - how do ya like your steak? Red like your wine? Or a little darker?
DW likes it redl, I like mine medium well.

Nothing like sharing with friends and neighbors.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Old 12-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
There's an old farm say about a "Dog in the Hay Manger". The dog barks at the cattle and won't let them eat. The dog doesn't want the hay, it doesn't even like hay, it just doesn't want the cattle to have it either. Lots of folks like that.

I have never knocked on someones MH door, but if I wanted to I would. I would just need a good reason. Folks have approached me and wanted a tour of our old Airstream before we sold it. I told them to come back after dinner and we'd be glad to let them in. Why not? We actually set up a tour time once.

You're going to run into grouches and grumps where ever you go. They're all over the place. I'm not one and never want to be. I think the camping experience is all about meeting people and having fun. I like a good fire with neighbors and laughing a little. I do think that there aren't too many folks that want to take a chance and make friends out of strangers. Shame. Take the initiative to them. Take a chance.

Now my DW is shy. She'll hang back for a while but generally she will get to know someone and warm up. Nothing wrong with that.

We used to have a very large black lab who did not like other dogs. She loved people though. All people. We would warn folks that she didn't like other dogs but they would still bring their dogs up to meet her. Usually did not end well.

In the end be yourself. If you run into a grouch or grump, steer clear. Otherwise just have fun. All you have to do is use some common sense and the Golden Rule.

To all Grouches and Grumps, if I say hello and you just want to be left alone, just say so, but do be careful how you address me. My tolerance level for bad manners is kinda low and I am Irish.
X2 Thumbs up!
Old 12-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #121

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's one that no one mentioned ..........CAR ALARMS !!!
When the City Slickers go camping and have their car alarms go off at 2am or when the Mrs's goes to get something out of the SUV with the chrome 21 inch wheels and sets off the alarm. PRICELESS !!!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #122

WOW, Read all nine pages and found out a lot about people. Just the people on here are amazing, one end of the spectrum to the other. I have been camping since.................. well, let's just say bell bottoms and beads were in then. I got out of it for the last 12 years due to work schedules between the wife and I but have now bought an older class A that I am fixing up. All of my camping in the past was in truck campers or tents and I can tell from this discussion that this is a totally different crowd. I do not mean that in a bad way. It just seems like the common sense part was more prevalent back then. I am the type of person who can make friends with just about anyone who displays common sense. If you do not then you do not want to talk to me because I will be Mr. Grumpy towards you. A karaoke machine in a campground?! You have got to be kidding!!! Karaoke is for bars. Now an acoustic guitar by the fire, yes. That is fairly quiet and mellow. I have to agree that this has turned into a thread about peoples pet peeves more than etiquette but it is informative and kind of entertaining. I just hope I am not sorry I bought this RV.

Rick
Old 12-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #123
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Noise is at the top of my list of rude behavior. I don't want to listen to someone elses radio, canned music, sub woofers or TV. Same goes for generators and barking dogs.

Unfortunately another noise make in campgrounds is diesel trucks with cold engines, I guess it's unavoidable however....

I think you'll find that most folks are courteous and sociable. We've had folks knock on our door and ask for tours and generally we are amenable BUT if you are one of the tourists - please don't open cupboards.

My last pet peeve is unusual burnables. Not too long ago we camped next to someone who had a steady stream of incense burning on their picnic table - nauseating.

BTW - congrats on the new rig; you can look forward to meeting nice folks, seeing beautiful places and having a great adventure.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Old 12-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #124

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "rickf
I just hope I am not sorry I bought this RV. Rick
You won't be sorry. I have been camping for 50 years and have met no more than five that were Wackjobs .
It seems that some folks might have an overinflated feeling of self worth but once they are out in the real world they simmer down once they don't have the internet to hide behind.
Congratulations on your new Motorhomes and enjoy your trips!
Chuck
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #125

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I believe the original poster mentioned something in his questions about walking up to a door and knocking and saying something about I was admiring your beautiful coach. I was addressing that in my comments. To me the issue is not meeting people at a campground. I do that and thoroughly enjoy it. The campground I am at now someone came in with an allegro bus same paint scheme same year only difference he had 4 slides and I have two. I did not go up to his door and knock. I was out doing something around my coach and saw him outside and walked up and we started comparing some differences between the coaches. I have noticed a lot of people will take strolls around the campground and if they see someone outside sit and chat. Various conversational topics are discussed such as campers, current locations, discussions about where everyone is from that type of thing. The issue I see is the knocking on a closed door. If someone has their curtains pulled and the door closed that to me appears to be a desire for privacy. The people that are more sociable will be sitting out in lawn chairs or somewhere outside approachable. There are a lot of people that like to go camping to enjoy the outdoors and want to get away from the stress of their lives. They want to take the time to unwind and relaxe. Entertaining guests is not always relaxing and some people would rather sit back with a good book and enjoy the beautiful scenery. I do not see anything wrong with that. Different people have different ideas of how to run their life. I just try not to impose my lifestyle on them as long as they do not try to impose theirs on me.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #126

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckstand View Post
Well I for one have certainly learned a lot:

1. from now on I'm only burning bio-diesel so my exhaust will smell like French fries or fried yard-bird (chicken)
2. leave my videos and instructional tapes at home
3. use smoke free firewood
4. I only sing "jailbird music"... (behind a few bars and looking for the key)so no sanging' for me
5. Be sure my DW walks the Rockweiler (nobody knocks on my door)

Man I'm lovin' this camping stuff

That is some funny stuff.
Closed Thread

Tags
campground