Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Once, in a travel park in Myrtle Beach, a woman at the site next to mine said "hello" to me while I was hooking up to the shore services. I said "hello" back. Suddenly she was telling me everything that is wrong with our government and our country, and how to fix it all. That's when I noticed the Toronto tags on her TT.
I'm pretty sure that would fall under the heading of "campground etiquette violation".
Hummmm. Just wondering two things

1 What do "Toronto Tags" look like? Never seen or heard of them.

2 How did you determine she was not talking about her country? Hundreds of thousands of US citizens live in Canada and there are millions of people living in the US who are not US citizens. Licence plates do not define citizenship, it just indicates where a vehicle is registered.
Unfounded or unexplained assumptions can really distort the truth and makes one think there could be a bit of fabricating going on. Now that would be poor ediquette.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Talking about etiquette, I don't slam the toilet seat that hard.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Old 12-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT2000 View Post
Campgrounds are for kids and campfires! I don't have campfires because I find it funny seeing people sit around one when its 70f outside but that's their choice and one of the reasons they are there. There are lots of places to go that are not so geared towards campfires.

It's like the kid that has peanut allergies and the rest of the kids can't have peanut products at school, I recommend if their kid has peanut allergies don't get to attached and call him "The Boy" !
That's funny. I thought of the Peanut allergy thing right away as well. We got the note from the school one year telling us we couldn't send any peanut products in our kids' lunches. I thought that was funny that one child's allergies could dictate my shopping habits and let the school know that along with a suggestion to keep the child with the unfortunate allergies quarantined.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post

Hummmm. Just wondering two things

1 What do "Toronto Tags" look like? Never seen or heard of them.

2 How did you determine she was not talking about her country? Hundreds of thousands of US citizens live in Canada and there are millions of people living in the US who are not US citizens. Licence plates do not define citizenship, it just indicates where a vehicle is registered.
Unfounded or unexplained assumptions can really distort the truth and makes one think there could be a bit of fabricating going on. Now that would be poor ediquette.
You're assuming I made assumptions, when in fact I merely omitted minutae that had no bearing on the point of the story. Fact is, I noticed the Canadian plates when I first pulled in, (white with blue lettering) just as I noticed the North Carolina plates at the other adjoining site. But she was very clear where she was from. Using words such as "your government" and "your President" and "your country" served as additional clues.
Since the anecdote wasn't about tags, what they look like or what they represent, I didn't worry to much about that part. If you don't believe I met a woman that was exceptionally obnoxious to me while I was trying to set up camp, don't. I really don't care if you do of not, but you don't need to call me a liar.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #75

by the way it was Ontario not Toronto
Old 12-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #76

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
this has been an interesting thread.

to the folks that think campfires are an integral part of camping. That is your idea of camping not everybody feels that way. to the folks that don't like campfires or have health issues. If there is a fire ring then the campground has approved fires. If someone pays money for a campsite that has a fire ring they have a right to use it. If that is a problem for you move to another campsite or campground. Just because you have rented a campsite does not mean you control all of the other campsites in the park unless you have paid for all of them in which case tell the person to put the fire out or get out.

Karoke machine same advice as above although do not come knocking on my door because I personally hate everyone that things they need to impose their music tastes on the world at large. I really cant stand the cars with the high powered woofers sitting next to me at a stop light. The only consolation to that is, If it is that loud sitting in my car next to them they are going to be deaf in a few years from the decibel level generated in the car. The ideas of taking it to the clubhouse or even an outdoor pavilion is a good one. Usually those sites are far enough away that the sound wont bother anyone if you keep it at a reasonable level. I would say that if you were doing that and you were across the campground from me and the noise was loud enough for me to hear in my camper with the AC on and the doors closed and the tv on. I would be complaining to security very quickly.

I am going to agree with the majority here. DO NOT knock on my door and ask to see my camper. I can guarantee you will not get a tour and probably if you have woken me up you will get a not so nice lecture. If I am outside I would be glad to talk to you about my camper. Depending on what is going on I might show it to you. I personally only approach someone when they are outside. I might talk about the various aspects of their camper. If it is something I have never seen before and we spend some talking I might ask what it looks like inside. IF they are willing to show me they will invite me to look. IF not I do not mention it again.

One of my other pet peeves that has not been addressed to much in this thread is help pulling in. My wife and I have pulled into many campgrounds. She knows how I like to park, how sharp our MH can turn, basically all the things she needs to guide me in place. She has a walkie talkie to give me directions on when to start backing and cutting my wheels and when to stop. She knows to watch both sides for my blind spot. I find it amazing that someone will just walk up to my window tell me to open it and then start telling me when to turn. If I see someone by themselves trying to back in I will ask if they need help. IF they have a spouse or someone with them I will just watch and if the person seems to not be sure what they are doing I will ask if I can assist but I would never walk up and just start giving directions.

I have walked up to someone that was hooking up and watched what they were doing. If I see them having a problem I might ask if I can help. I think the last time I did that was a gentleman that was looking down at the water hookup which was very low to the ground. He was looking at it and seemed to be thinking a minute. I asked if he could help and he told me he has problems getting up when he gets down on his knees. I offered to hook the water up for him and his sewer also. I waited until he looked like he was having problems then I asked I did not just rush up and start saying let me help you with that. Several people myself included have our own way of doing thins and it is easier to do it than tr to tell someone else how I want it done.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #77

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is the biggest problem we face, we bow down to the 1 or 2% instead of taking care of the 98%. Im going to have my campfire, camp only at places that allow them, park when I get there, leave when I want, talk to who I want and not talk to those that don't want to talk to me. That should leave the 2% to hang out with each other in a wall mart parking lot……that is until I pull up for the night with my generator running. LOL! Camping is a social activity. We go to camp grounds to be around like minded folks. If all these things bother you, I would think you would be more suited toward boon docking or staying at an RV resort (most I've seen are nothing more than a cement and asphalt parking lot).
Old 12-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #78
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folk's, let's knock off the personal comments and stay on topic discussing the issue, not each other.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #79

Wvrond

Sorry but the "Toronto Tags" quote was a key factor when alluding to a fabrication since they do not exist. Could not think of a more appropriate word and sometimes if one thing is wrong in a story, the entire story becomes suspect.

But the story has changed with more embellishment and of course obnoxious and dumb people can come from anywhere. I don't think it is reserved for any nationality. I hope you set her straight, if people come into my house and complain about it, well, I would suggest they leave. I hope you suggested that.

The story as originally told left some doubt. Thanks for clearing that up. Yup, going into any country and complaining about that country as a visitor is simply bad ediquette and plain stupid IMHO.

Happy RVing and hope none of us encounter people as you described.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #80

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Interesting that the OP asked about general etiquette and is getting pet peeves and personal preferences. Also interesting that a knock on the door is so tabu or would be to look inside your silly coach. If I were new to this I'd be thinking about getting rid of mine. I have been in state and federal campgrounds, RV parks and resorts since 1991. Can't remember a bad experience.

OP - Those who keep to themselves are entitled to it so let them. You will remember all the good times and there are many, many very friendly and welcoming people out there. Tailor your stays to places that meet your requirements and 9 out of 10 people there will be liked minded. Use common sense and have fun.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
If there is a fire ring then the campground has approved fires. If someone pays money for a campsite that has a fire ring they have a right to use it.
This is THE answer to the campfire "etiquette" issue - end of story. Campfires continue to be a major sore point for some. Why continue to rag on those that create smoke? What's not realized by them is that if a campground has installed fire rings and pits, and there isn't a fire ban, and there's no burning rules, then you should be entitled to have your own fire at your site as you see fit and not have your neighbor fuming at you. Some cgs even have a big fire pit for groups and family picnics. I think a campground might consider not placing fire rings at one area for the non-campfire folks. Or has anyone tried simply politely asking the neighbor to perhaps move their fire ring farther away? Still surprised that some still think the 99% of campfire lovers should butt out if you, the 1%, shows up..... Don't get me wrong, I am very sympathetic for those with health issues, but go blame the cg, not the folks with the fire.

We pulled into one cg once that was 90% MHs. We thought the aliens had come and taken most of them away because you rarely saw a soul except for when they had a dog out for a pee. It was very eerie. We didn't see them sitting around outside at all or walking around. And strangely, it was only the males that were out walking the dogs. I could see these MH-ers not liking campfire smoke because they sure weren't the outdoorsy types! Maybe this was the all-male anti-campfire MH group travelling around the country? At our home cg in Wa. that we frequent, we do see many MH-ers with campfires so this isn't a generalization.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #82

There's no chance 100% of the people will agree 100% of the time! Be friendly, be courteous, be polite and have a good time!

I have been to many camp grounds, parks what have you and I never complained to anyone about what they are doing nor have I gone to security or front office. If I'm not happy I move the next day either to another spot or another camp ground.

I do RVing because its an escape from idiots I deal with ever day and when I get behind the wheel of MH it's my peace of paradise.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #83

I find it interesting that the people who say that the smoke is no problem are always sitting upwind of the fire.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #84

Well I for one have certainly learned a lot:

1. from now on I'm only burning bio-diesel so my exhaust will smell like French fries or fried yard-bird (chicken)
2. leave my videos and instructional tapes at home
3. use smoke free firewood
4. I only sing "jailbird music"... (behind a few bars and looking for the key)so no sanging' for me
5. Be sure my DW walks the Rockweiler (nobody knocks on my door)

Man I'm lovin' this camping stuff
Closed Thread

Tags
campground