Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Campground etiquette?

We just got our first MH, well waiting on delivery. We've read about some campground no-no's like walking across sites, picking up after pets and keeping them secure. Quiet times. Common respect, no brainers.

But out there others? What about socializing? Sometimes when walking around the grounds we see really beautiful MH's or some that have different features. Is it rude to come up and knock on the door to say "HI, we were just admiring your beautiful coach..."

We don't mind when our people in our neighborhood knock on our door ( at reasonable times of course) to ask something or tell us something, but that may just be us.

What other things are most annoying to you when you're in a Class A park?

We want to be friendly, but good MH neighbors.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I will only approach another rig when I see someone outside. One exception to that is if it's someone from home.
I stay at all kinds of RV resorts not just Class A only so I don't know if those "A" resorts have different ideas of "neighborly". Maybe they do. Already they have said they only want one kind of customer demographic.

"96" HR Navigator, 38' no slides, Cummins, Allison
next stop
Old 12-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Never had a Class A, but from my perspective I'd rather you'd approach me when you see me outside, maybe coming/going or just chilling out in the lawn chair, than knocking on my door. Again, no Class A, but I doubt that would change my perspective.
Warren and Debbie
2014 Tiffin Allegro Breeze 32BR
Old 12-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
There has been a time or two I have knocked on someone's door but I take several steps back from the door after I do, so they can see I'm not hiding a gun or something. Also, it's always been during the day. One time recently, I knocked on the lady's door next to me because the SUV parked outside had the hatch wide open. They indeed forgot to shut it as I suspected and they thanked me. Some vehicles don't shut off the dome light after so many minutes, and I didn't know if that was one of them, so I didn't want them to end up with a dead battery. Plus animals might have gotten in and made a mess.

I don't stay in "Class A" parks (is that like like a 5 star hotel?). I stay in low priced ones. I'm poor and I'm not ashamed to admit it. It's not my fault (disabled) so why be ashamed? Anyhow... I stay where I can afford it.

The #1 rule I think is important is not to bother anyone unless it's fairly important. If they are inside with the door shut, they probably don't want to be bothered.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
I'd rather you'd approach me when you see me outside, maybe coming/going or just chilling out in the lawn chair, than knocking on my door.
Once I open up my front curtains I am usually dressed and ready to greet any visitors. If you come by and my curtains are closed then I am probably still in my robe and on the computer (like now) and not ready to see anyone. I would still probably rather meet up with someone outside than have a stranger knock on my door.
Barbara Spade
Jaymie (Sheltie/Pom) and Luke (Sheltie/mix)
35' Sea View (Class A) MH & Honda CR-V toad.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Old 12-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
Country Coach Owners Club
It is a long way from my toilet room to the front door at times.....
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Old 12-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
Like most, I only approach someone when they are outside, I don't knock on the door.
2008 AC Allegiance 42G, Spartan, ISL
Old 12-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Annie bought us this sign and we place it in the passenger window next to the door. Although when making new friends - we display as depicted here:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2170431346.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	622.4 KB
ID:	51185
We set the be back time on the Closed side when are ready to have a guest or walk up visitor.

It works well in either configuration!
Steve and Annie
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
Old 12-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
If you knock on my door, It'd better be to inform me of something that's important, otherwise, just as it was in my stick house, it's an intrusion, period!

Of course, if invited a knock is fine, but it would have been expected, don't cha know, as Festus would say.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I too think it would be a bit rude to knock on my door to ask about my coach if I'm not outside. Probably not everyone feels this way, but I do.

I've spent a LOT of time at those Class A only resorts. My perception is that those groups (as a generalization) would probably be more likely to find this rude than at your average "campground".

Sounds like you have most of the important stuff covered beyond this. Just use the golden rule and common sense and you'll fit in just fine. If you're buying a DP, don't get in the habit of running your engine while in your site any more than you have to. They don't need long warm up periods before beginning to roll slowly.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 12-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
Georgie Boy Owners Club
This is what happened to me.
I had owned my motorhome about 2 weeks when I had to go about 3,000 miles across the country to work. I wandered from my room up the street to a CG for supper and noticed a motorhome identical to mine. I slowed my walk and noticed that no one was around, so I continued to my supper. On the way back I did the same slow down, and a fellow came out and introduced himself. Well we chatted for about an hour and we both were able to offer each other some valuable information. He was glad that I saundered slowly enough that he noticed me and I'm very glad too.

I have never seen an identical coach to this day!
1997 Georgie Boy Cruise Master F 53 Chasis 460
Davis Tru Trac
Safe Steer & Blistiens
Old 12-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Foul language. I'm no angel, but I've always thought that using it just say's you have a limited vocabulary.
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Old 12-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another courtesy is not to interrupt someone while they are hooking up or unhooking their utilities. You might holler out - need a hand? If no. Move along. Maybe catch them later - unless of course they're the don't bother me type - of which I am always amazed by the number of them.
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
Old 12-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #14
NO speeding! Besides safety, it's awful being showered with a cloud of dust. What - someone is going to beat you to a site???

Keep yer flippin' dog on a leash. (literally) Too many aggressive dogs out there and bad owners. Worst case scenario - Coworker of DW (a male) got chomped in the family jewels and had to go to the hospital and get stitched up.

Keep yer kid's on a leash. (figuratively) Not cool to let your little kids run back and forth through your site or all over the roads without supervision.

Don't fire up your MH or truck early in the AM and let it idle for an hour near others sleeping while you break camp. I mean, come on, really??

Never back up without a spotter. See this all too often. Potentially very dangerous. (not quite in etiquette category tho.)

If you arrive late at night, keep the noise down. Sometimes you get them shouting orders back and forth and banging stuff around when you've already fallen asleep. Argh...

Don't be overly friendly in helping some a new arrival backing in then hanging around trying to yak with them when all they want to do is set up quickly and then go have a well-deserved break after a long day of driving.

Noise, noise, noise. In general. We're all there for a restful camping experience.

Don't walk openly all over with booze in your hand. Even worse if you're intoxicated. Keep it in your site.

If you have loud smoker's hack, don't camp next to us. (BTDT )

If you hate campfires, don't camp next to us. You'll get the hairy eyeball right back from us. Campgrounds are for campfires.

Well, this is our comprehensive list.

Having said this, 99% + of the time, it's all good. The vast majority of fellow RV-ers are great. We've met a ton of friendly and interesting folks from all over the place.

At our home campground that we have a membership at, they have security guys that regularly drive around looking for problems and if you report something they will go check it out.

Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS & Ford F250 supercab V10 4x4 LB
Langley, B.C.
Closed Thread