Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2015, 11:41 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
For the poster that says his chassis battery is only charged by the amp-l-start. I obviously do not know how your coach is wired but most class a diesels have at least a 2000 watt inverter and those have the capability to charge your CHASSIS batteries with a 100 amp current or larger. That will help a lot when you are moving slides and doing other chassis things.
Well, I do have a 2000w inverter/charger but I am not aware of any setting that would apply 12v power from coach batteries, through the inverter/charger and then to the chassis batts. I'm sure there are many others that might, but not the Winnebago's I have looked into. I know of one or two on this board that have added or are trying to add converter's to charge their chassis batteries versus using a Trik-L-Start or Amp-L-Start to their Winnebago's. Newer WBGO DP's already have a Trik-L-Start.

What can be done if needed, is to hold the Aux. Start switch down to apply extra power to the chassis batteries from the house batts. This is in the manual under troubleshooting retracting the slide - saying "The chassis battery may be low on charge. Press the Aux. Start....".

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Back on Topic

Thought I would go back to the topic. But first, starting or not starting your engine to level, retract, move slides etc. are different between manufacturer's, models, and custom setups. Your manual should tell you if you need to run your engine or not and under which procedure the engine is needed - or if shore line will help too.

Before I became involved in learning about RV's and the lifestyle, I and my friends commonly referred to these parks as "trailer parks" and maybe "RV Parks" but not campgrounds. You can call these campgrounds if you want, the owners probably do, but in the campgrounds I went to as a child, there were small campers, maybe a minibus and lots of tents. Nothing over 24 -26 ft were fitting. We did not bring TV's and it never was even a remote thought to do so. We did not light up our camps, but used a fire and lantern. We went to bed early and woke early to start the day of hiking and fishing. We had no electricity, there was no running water and the toilet was an out house.

So many of the individuals at these "campgrounds" may just see them as trailer parks. If there are 50 to 300 or more 30 to 45' electrically supplied mobile houses hooked up to a sewer system - its an RV Park. You will have to go find a campground in your toad and bring a tent. There you will find like minded quiet people with yes, children running around playing and an occasional motorcycle flying by or a drone cruising around. People can be rude everywhere - the children playing is just normal life.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:30 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post
Well stated. That should be put on a plaque and posted at ever campground.
Why, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
How about the people who seem to thing everyone wants to listen to their music? Or the "uncultured buffoons" who can't seem to complete a sentence without dropping the F-Bomb several times, and doing it so loudly it can be heard for several campsites away. Or the people who come to a campground to project a ball game onto an outdoor homemade screen the size of a king bed, and play by play descriptions until after midnight? Or the couple who can't back a RV into the space allotted without the spouse that is outside yelling at the top of their lungs "Left, left left...no the other way I meant right"!
Go back and read my rule #2, seems like it was written for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
For the poster that says his chassis battery is only charged by the amp-l-start. I obviously do not know how your coach is wired but most class a diesels have at least a 2000 watt inverter and those have the capability to charge your CHASSIS batteries with a 100 amp current or larger. That will help a lot when you are moving slides and doing other chassis things.
Yes, I agree that most DPs have a good capacity inverter/charger, and they can quickly charge the house batteries at around 100 amps. But there are a lot of coaches out there that are wired such that the inverter/charger cannot charge the chassis batteries. My coach (and a lot of others made by Monaco) cannot do that. I had to add a Trick-L-Start to prevent my chassis batteries from going dead while parked for an extended time even on shore power.

Some coaches have a BIRD device that activates a solenoid to connect the two battery banks together, allowing the chassis batteries to be connected to the house batteries when the the shore power charger is active. My coach (and lots of others) don't have that bi-directional control module, instead, mine only activates when the engine is running which allows the house batteries to be charged by the engine alternator. Some coaches (Many Winnebagos, for example) actually have a Trick-L-Start installed from the factory to keep the chassis batteries charged on shore power.

Given how many people have installed Trick-L-Start, Amp-L-Start, or BIRD modules, and how many people complain about dead chassis batteries while on shore power, I don't think it's fair to say that "most" DPs come with chassis battery charging features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
But first, starting or not starting your engine to level, retract, move slides etc. are different between manufacturer's, models, and custom setups. Your manual should tell you if you need to run your engine or not and under which procedure the engine is needed - or if shore line will help too.
Very true. Like many Monaco owners, I need to dump ALL my air to lower the airbags when leveling (yes, I have to dump the air in the main air tanks, not just the air bags.) That means that I have to run the engine for a significant amount of time to build air back up to ride height. Since Monaco doesn't want us to operate our slides unless off the jacks and at full ride height, that means starting the engine and running it long enough to build air pressure (running at fast idle shortens that time but makes more noise.) Then, shut off the engine to retract slides (they have an interlock that prevents operation when the ignition is on.) Then we can finally start the engine again and depart. I generally don't leave camp at the crack of dawn, but even at 10:00 I feel bad for all of the noise it makes, but it simply can't be helped.

Quote:
So many of the individuals at these "campgrounds" may just see them as trailer parks. If there are 50 to 300 or more 30 to 45' electrically supplied mobile houses hooked up to a sewer system - its an RV Park. You will have to go find a campground in your toad and bring a tent. There you will find like minded quiet people
Very true. Like gemini5362 said, any time you have so many people, and so many different vehicles and equipment packed into such a tight space, you are not going to get peace and quiet where you can listen to the leaves rustling, the birds singing, and the crickets chirping (although I'm sure there are some who would complain that even that is too noisy!)

If you want absolute peace and quiet, find a boodocking space far away from anyone else. Otherwise, if you go to a typical RV "campground" be prepared to be surrounded by people and noise: it will give you a great opportunity to practice my rule #2.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Jim_HiTec,
The chassis battery is the starting battery. The coach battery is the house battery. A lot of people confuse the terms coach and chassis. Usually coach (house) batteries are charged by the converter and the chassis (engine/starter) are not. Newer, more expensive motorhomes often charge both systems.
Hah! You are absolutely correct and I do know the difference. My mistake. Should have proofread my posting a little better.

Chassis = Starting, aka AUX battery

House = Coach, aka Main batteries

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:05 AM   #33

Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
By far most of the camps I frequent are filled with people who understand that they aren't the only people trying to relax.
I'm pretty tolerant of most behavior, but I can get really chafed with pet owners curbing their dogs on my site. Cleaning behind them helps, but letting your mutt relieve itself on my tires, power pole or lines will get you on my bad side quick. Who wants to handle items your dog has urinated on?

Loading up the quad door monster truck for your pilgrimage to the Waffle House while slamming doors and clearing out your Banks turbo soot system kinda sucks at 7 am.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:05 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are in a family campground, you should expect noise. I don't let the little things bother me. I try to be considerate of others. I don't idle excessively, however I do have to air up before lifting my jacks, that is the last part of my departure. I pull the slides, put stuff away and ready to depart except for lifting airing up and lifting the jacks.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure this happens that much, but it really annoyed us recently. We were in a campground with "terraced" sites where the sites next to you were up or down a few feet. The site "up" a few feet had not bothered to fix their hose connection from leaking and flooded our site.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:29 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYRon View Post
Not sure this happens that much, but it really annoyed us recently. We were in a campground with "terraced" sites where the sites next to you were up or down a few feet. The site "up" a few feet had not bothered to fix their hose connection from leaking and flooded our site.
Fresh water, I hope.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:36 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Hah! You are absolutely correct and I do know the difference. My mistake. Should have proofread my posting a little better.

Chassis = Starting, aka AUX battery

House = Coach, aka Main batteries
It's Main vs AUX that throws me for a loop. I have to stop and think about it, just like when I have to hit UP to lock my compartments instead of Down. I would rewire that if it didn't have a label.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:26 PM   #38
HHg

Campground etiquette ?? We have almost started looking for exclusive type resorts that keep the rift raft out. I'd much rather hear an idling DP engine than have a damn Dodge diesel pickup truck pull in with a camper or TT, 7 kids, the sister-in-law, 4 dogs and 3 boom boxes. Those damn rednecks can't spell etiquette.....give me an exclusive Class A resort any day !

Hhg
Old 07-06-2015, 06:52 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg View Post
Campground etiquette ?? We have almost started looking for exclusive type resorts that keep the rift raft out. I'd much rather hear an idling DP engine than have a damn Dodge diesel pickup truck pull in with a camper or TT, 7 kids, the sister-in-law, 4 dogs and 3 boom boxes. Those damn rednecks can't spell etiquette.....give me an exclusive Class A resort any day !

Hhg
You forgot the 2 motorcycles and 1 drone.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:35 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg View Post

Hhg

It's a miserable life.... Huh?
Old 07-06-2015, 07:48 PM   #41

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My DW and I like quite as well as the next guy, but we also realize that not everyone is as quite as we would like and that kids/dogs/etc will make noise while enjoying themselves.
The Magna says to run the main engine while leveling. Luckily our HWH system doesn't require that I release all the air before pushing the level button. We are also supposed to run the engine, or, have the generator going or be on shore power. So I pull in, push the level button and hook up the shore power. By that time the rig is usually leveled and I shut it down. Pretty much the reverse for leaving.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:03 PM   #42

I figure folks can play their music at home. I don't get how they enjoy the great outdoors in its entirety with music full tilt. As far as idling while they wrap things up.....big deal. Not everyone can be as perfect as me.

Tags
campground