Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2015, 08:42 AM   #1

Campgrounds for longer coaches

Many thanks to all who posted on my motor home length thread. Please continue if you have any more words of advice for me! Now my question is about finding campgrounds that can fit a 41 footer with a toad-nearly 65 feet in length when hooked up. One kind person gave me a website for big coaches. How inconvenient is it when traveling and trying to find a campground where you can fit? How about maneuvering in the campgrounds? We usually stay hooked up and ask for pull thrus when heading to a destination. Thanks for your help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You are right to not only question site length, but access...
Was in one not long ago that the site was long enough, but the THICK trees were down about 10 foot over the road and no where to turn around....

I went back and asked for a damage claim along with my site receipt

We usually try to pull in with the toad, but eventually if more than a night's stay we are going to unhook, so do it when pulling into park while checking in.
makes for easier parking..

Old 10-15-2015, 09:13 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Could you please post the website you mentioned re longer coaches. I'd really appreciate it.
Many thanks

Barry and Pat, RVM114
Old 10-15-2015, 09:20 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Even for parking our "smaller" 36' coach we always disconnect the toad while the DW checks in. Then we use the toad to locate a space. Sometimes I leave the DW, and the toad at the camp site while I walk back to get the MH. The campgrounds handy map is helpful in finding the site and my DW. Thousand Trails has a very nice membership for around $500.00 a year (quest pass), but I wouldn't recommend it for owners of LARGE rigs. Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Even for parking our "smaller" 36' coach we always disconnect the toad while the DW checks in. Then we use the toad to locate a space. Sometimes I leave the DW, and the toad at the camp site while I walk back to get the MH. The campgrounds handy map is helpful in finding the site and my DW. Thousand Trails has a very nice membership for around $500.00 a year (quest pass), but I wouldn't recommend it for owners of LARGE rigs. Sanford
We are very interested in Thousand Trails membership. We drive a 38 footer. In looking at the web site, I don't understand your comment not liking them for LARGE rigs. Can you enlighten me?
Old 10-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
I have a 40' motorhome and during race season tow an enclosed trailer which puts me at 70' total length. I use Google Earth to get a birds eye view of a campground I am planning on stopping at for the night. Granted some of the satellite images may be 2 years old but it has been very helpful in my decisions even though the reservation desk has said "you will have no problem". Sharp turns and vegetation can be a real problem when entering or leaving a site.

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:55 AM   #7

Maybe we are just lucky but for the past 10 years we have not stumbled across a CG that we were too long for with a 40 footer. 80% of the time we have made a reservation so the length is covered then. For a one night stay while traveling a pull through is always great but doesn't always work out that way. We do most of our CG research on this site. RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:54 AM   #8

We tow a Jeep Wrangler 2 door. We are just under 59' hooked up. We usually ask for a pull thru and lengths seem to vary widely. Some we end up with the front of the MH tight to one street, and the rear of the Jeep hanging out a little on the back street. Others are 70' long. Worst case scenario is unhook the toad. I've found a lot of the front office staff don't have a clue how long their sites are. That being said we have never had to leave a park due to length. We generally check them out online the day before.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:36 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We are over 70' when hooked up. We usually don't care about pull thru sites, we just unhook and get on with it. Unless site lengths are clearly stated on campground maps or on reservation systems, we always call ahead.
That said, I don't remember leaving a campground due to length issues. We always use RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks and Google Earth to find parks and review as much info as we can get before deciding where to go.
We are in our 52nd campground in 9 states this year. Our size has been an issue, but it hasn't been a limitation. I can recall two parks where I turned down the reserved space. In both cases we were able to find other spaces in those parks that worked. Note that I am not timid, and have the scratches to prove it. Many folks wouldn't try to get into the spaces we have, especially in older national forest campgrounds and state parks that were created before coaches like ours became popular. If you are obsessive about the paint, you probably want to avoid many of the national forest campgrounds.

HTH
Old 10-16-2015, 07:44 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Subscribe to or purchase Big Rigs Best Bets... The author has personally parked in and reviewed every entry! US RV Guide for Big Rigs
Old 10-17-2015, 08:21 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Size matters at some Thousand Trails Resorts. If you don't mind scratches then size doesn't matter. Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Our coach is a hair longer than 44 ft ... and we're a hair less than 64 ft with the toad hooked up. The extra length does present some limits. There are some parks that won't work for us. Site length in and of itself is occasionally a concern. As somebody else mentioned - manuver room is often the biggest concern in other parks.

However, that said - we haven't found the limitations that accompany our length to be much of an inconvenience. We've learned that we may need to unhook the toad as soon as we pull into a park that isn't a sprawling RV resort. We may need to take a little extra time getting into our site. Again, site length is rarely the limitation - but rather the need to thread the needle as we rum the gauntlet of trees, shrubbery and sign posts needed to get there. It hasn't stopped us yet.

For us, the extra living space that our "big rig" provides us is worth dealing with the minor inconveniences that come with the additional length.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:50 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Allstays is a great App you can filter by "big rig friendly" to weed out the campgrounds that can't accommodate you
Allstays is the ONLY App I've ever paid for.....no regrets

Tags
campground