Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a Class 1. It is good for any and all vehicles up to and including the legal limit and combinations allowed on the highway. However it is not good for my motorcycle. Another endorsement for that.

Double towing in our jurisdiction is only allowed if the first trailer is attached by a locking king pin. Ball hitches are not allowed on the first trailer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #30

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What about a Blue Ox coming off the MH and then a ball hitch behind the toad pulling a boat ?

Old 09-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
If you checked the drivers I am about 100% sure you would find they were from Mexico, had been a auto auction and where headed back to Mexico with their new found treasures! We see that all the time on I-20 and I-10 from DFW area to directions headed to Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
As you said some states are different. Not 70 feet but reference "double towing" as they call it. In May this year I was heading east out of El Paso, TX and saw a pick towing a car with a tow bar and the towed car was pulling a car with a tow bar. Saw two of those within five minutes but the second one was a sedan pulling two cars. I haven't seen that anywhere before.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
This past summer I needed our 4 wheeler and the toad at a boy's camp in Southern Missouri. I towed the Ford Flex 4 down and an enclosed 10 ft trailer with the 4 wheeler to and from without a problem. We got a late start leaving home and decided to leave late one afternoon and drive a few hours. Got close to Sherman, Texas and DW called a RV Park for an 80' slot and they had one, so we stopped for the night. We did not have one foot to spare in the rv space!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
You guys that rely on your CDL to cover you towing double with your RV
must know something about the CDL I don't. My understanding of a CDL is it is a Commercial Drivers License and is only valid when driving a commercial vehicle. It has no standing otherwise. I have had a CDL for 40 years and have had MANY contacts with commercial enforcement officers and they all said the same thing. Not valid driving a non-commercial vehicle.

Jim
Jim, I was in the trucking business for many years, but not as a driver. I believe what you're trying to convey that others are missing, is that just because you have a CDL to double tow COMMERCIAL vehicles while on the job, that privilege does not apply to double towing personal recreational vehicles.

Of course your CDL would be valid to tow any legal combination of personal recreational vehicles.

Please correct me if I'm misinterpreting what you meant.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
You guys that rely on your CDL to cover you towing double with your RV
must know something about the CDL I don't. My understanding of a CDL is it is a Commercial Drivers License and is only valid when driving a commercial vehicle.
It has no standing otherwise. I have had a CDL for 40 years and have had MANY contacts with commercial enforcement officers and they all said the same thing. Not valid driving a non-commercial vehicle.

Jim
Nope. You are only allowed to possess one driver's license. If you have a CDL you are not allowed to have a state issued license too. A CDL is valid for driving a non commercial vehicle and a commercial vehicle as long as you carry a valid medical certificate when driving the commercial rig. The CDL is valid up to the license limit (Class A or Class B) as modified by the endorsements on the rear.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
What about a Blue Ox coming off the MH and then a ball hitch behind the toad pulling a boat ?
Not familiar with a Blue Ox. Is it a locking king pin?
Old 09-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Not familiar with a Blue Ox. Is it a locking king pin?
The Blue Ox is a tow bar that fit directly into the receiver hitch. no ball hitch connection as it has bushing joints.
And To answer the question it is not legal and as stated, first connection must be fifth wheel locked king pin, second can be ball hitch and all must have brakes and total length must be under your home license state length laws.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:18 PM   #37

I am 75' long and have not had any problems. We call ahead to find a campground that can handle us. Always found one. However, there is that nagging thought in the back of my mind, what do I do if stopped. Legally, I could be forced to unhook and have a shorter vehicle tow the trailer. That would not be a good thing. Never go into CA or possibly some eastern states. Fortunately, our travels take us through mid-west and western states that are more RV friendly.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
The Blue Ox is a tow bar that fit directly into the receiver hitch. no ball hitch connection as it has bushing joints.
And To answer the question it is not legal and as stated, first connection must be fifth wheel locked king pin, second can be ball hitch and all must have brakes and total length must be under your home license state length laws.
Thanks for the information about the Blue Ox.

Tags
camping