Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanrvr View Post

Have you ever been stopped / ticketed while traveling state to state being that long?
Not yet....

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I don't see it as a problem being stopped on the road. But if in a accident you could be at fault with no insurance if their lawyers decide you were a fraud by intentionally breaking the law. As far as driving you should have little problem except a lot of pull throughs are right at 65' and a lot of pull ins or back ins are short. I'm 63' and get to unhook every once in a while.

LEN
Old 08-31-2014, 08:08 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
There's always a lawyer somewhere trying blame something on someone for money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
I don't see it as a problem being stopped on the road. But if in a accident you could be at fault with no insurance if their lawyers decide you were a fraud by intentionally breaking the law. As far as driving you should have little problem except a lot of pull throughs are right at 65' and a lot of pull ins or back ins are short. I'm 63' and get to unhook every once in a while.

LEN
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #18

Just got back from 2 weeks in NY, Vermont. New Hampshire and Maine. Changed locations most nights. One of the campgrounds I stayed in could accommodate that setup. None of the rest could. Even the pull throughs would have been a problem to get lined up into. Too many tight turns in the trees. The one that could had a couple acre field at the entrance.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post
Running partner had HR 40' Chev malibu and motorcycle trailer in a train. Stopped for fuel in Ok and trooper came out from coffee and said sorry I am going to have to give you a ticket. You do not have a lic to drive something like that.

Friend took out his CDL with triples, haz mat , and every other endorsement you can get and said I legally drive three 35' pups down the freeway everyday. That is longer than this and I do not go off from the freeway more than 2 miles and that is federal dot rule. He said well you are one in a million have a nice day. We still think that a overlength permit was needed but no one asked so no question no lie no foul.

In the old days there were no length rules for RV plates Now this is the book

State Towing Laws for RVs
I think that if you check with your friend you'll find that that the LEO was talking about the double tow rather than the length. Your comment on the 2 miles from the road is what leans me to that. It's not worth it to get into this here, but the rules on the FEDERAL INTERSTATE SYSTEM can be quite different from the state that particular road segment was in. Your friend and the LEO obviously know what they are and his CDL covered him. Not sure I'd try that obvious a stretch without a current CDL and med certificate, but I've seen a few RV'ers pulling that way. Don't know their histories, however.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:25 PM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 40 foot and wanted to pull a Jeep Liberty with a 23 foot boat behind the Liberty would that be legal? Is double towing legal
Old 08-31-2014, 01:19 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
I have a 40 foot and wanted to pull a Jeep Liberty with a 23 foot boat behind the Liberty would that be legal? Is double towing legal
Not with a MH. Can be done with a 5th wheel...go figure. LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:33 PM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You'll fit in the Wal-Mart CG just fine!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:56 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Not with a MH. Can be done with a 5th wheel...go figure. LOL
I just realized how my answer could be misinterpreted so...to clarify...

A truck can pull a 5th wheel and then pull something else behind the 5th wheel. I actually saw a 5th wheel flat towing a jeep.

I would do your homework before planning on this because I'm not an expert and there is bound to be some state with funky rules regarding this practice and/or there are length restrictions to me observed.

A MH can NOT tow 2 units regardless of length. I think that is pretty solid info but I've been known to be wrong a few times.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #24

Towing

Not sure I was legal, most likely not BUT, I had a 43' mh, pulled a honda accord toad, with a motorcycle trailer with motorcycle on the trailer all over the country. Had to be 75'. Never once stopped. Easy to tow and even backed up several times.
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I just realized how my answer could be misinterpreted so...to clarify...

A truck can pull a 5th wheel and then pull something else behind the 5th wheel. I actually saw a 5th wheel flat towing a jeep.

I would do your homework before planning on this because I'm not an expert and there is bound to be some state with funky rules regarding this practice and/or there are length restrictions to me observed.

A MH can NOT tow 2 units regardless of length. I think that is pretty solid info but I've been known to be wrong a few times.
As you said some states are different. Not 70 feet but reference "double towing" as they call it. In May this year I was heading east out of El Paso, TX and saw a pick towing a car with a tow bar and the towed car was pulling a car with a tow bar. Saw two of those within five minutes but the second one was a sedan pulling two cars. I haven't seen that anywhere before.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #26

You guys that rely on your CDL to cover you towing double with your RV
must know something about the CDL I don't. My understanding of a CDL is it is a Commercial Drivers License and is only valid when driving a commercial vehicle. It has no standing otherwise. I have had a CDL for 40 years and have had MANY contacts with commercial enforcement officers and they all said the same thing. Not valid driving a non-commercial vehicle.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
You guys that rely on your CDL to cover you towing double with your RV
must know something about the CDL I don't. My understanding of a CDL is it is a Commercial Drivers License and is only valid when driving a commercial vehicle. It has no standing otherwise. I have had a CDL for 40 years and have had MANY contacts with commercial enforcement officers and they all said the same thing. Not valid driving a non-commercial vehicle.

Jim
Interesting. Do you have a different drivers license for your get to the truck vehicle? ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Now that does NOT make any common sense at ALL!

So how many drivers licenses do you have?

One for commercial vehicles and one for your private personal car?

I would stay far away from those Commercial Enforcement Officers until they go back to school.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping