Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Camping with a Total Length of 70ft

We currently travel with a trailer that puts our total length at 60 ft. We basically had no trouble finding a campground on our last 6500 mile trip covering 19 states.

Now comes the question. How many travel with an overall length of 70ft? We want to add length to tow our vehicle in an enclosed trailer which would put us at 70 ft.

For those that are that length, what issues have you had camping / maneuvering around? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most states have a length limit of 60-65 feet, so if you go to 70 feet you will be having to get special permits for those states.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #3

We're just a tad over 70' and do not have problems, so you could be just fine. However, this assumes the driver is reasonably competent. Unfortunately, many RV drivers drive 3000 miles a year and 99% of that is on an interstate. You can't expect to pilot a 70' rig without practice, practice, practice. People are not willing to do that and expect to be an instant expert because they can buy sich a rig. I saw a post a few days ago about an individual who complained he had trouble getting in and out of Flying J's RV lanes....??
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:13 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I am almost 72 feet combined.

I almost always fuel at OTR truck fuel islands, NEVER at the RV lanes. I will use diesel pumps at regular filling stations ONLY if I can get in and out easily.

When puling into anyplace make sure you have a easy way out.

Plan ahead and you will not have any difficulty. I got myself into one tight situation on my way to a friends farm when I was totally unfamiliar with the local roads and made a very poor assumption.

That won't happen to me again.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just had a MISERABLE experience at a campground with my 43' MH & toad. I can't believe they told me the site was appropriate for me. And the route was worse!

Sometimes you will just have to GOAL...Get Out And Look. While that is mostly used for backing up, it can be very helpful in determining if a CG/Park or whatever is truly fit for your use. Since we arrived in the dark I should have stuck to my plan to unhook at the office and check the site out. I didn't because of the LONG line of late arrivals (rains slowed many folks) and let myself get in a hurry. I can't believe I got out of there with only a few leaves stuck in my awning cover but no damage...except to my ego.

Flat towing makes that manageable for us. With your trailer I assume it is asking a lot. I just thought I would toss that out for others that also see this thread.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #6

The book "big rigs best bets" is a pretty good resource for longer rigs. They describe in detail the attributes of individual lots within RV parks that are suitable. They only talk about spots that they have been to in their 45' rig and tow vehicle.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
The book "big rigs best bets" is a pretty good resource for longer rigs. They describe in detail the attributes of individual lots within RV parks that are suitable. They only talk about spots that they have been to in their 45' rig and tow vehicle.
I have that book and subscription. I wish there was a way to add personal experience to that publication.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
You sir are correct! Thanks for the post.

Just found this which has some great info:

State Towing Laws for RVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpere View Post
Most states have a length limit of 60-65 feet, so if you go to 70 feet you will be having to get special permits for those states.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Have you ever been stopped / ticketed while traveling state to state being that long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I am almost 72 feet combined.

I almost always fuel at OTR truck fuel islands, NEVER at the RV lanes. I will use diesel pumps at regular filling stations ONLY if I can get in and out easily.

When puling into anyplace make sure you have a easy way out.

Plan ahead and you will not have any difficulty. I got myself into one tight situation on my way to a friends farm when I was totally unfamiliar with the local roads and made a very poor assumption.

That won't happen to me again.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-30-2014, 05:49 PM   #10

I am 82ft. We always plan ahead and NEVER go to gas stations. We usually have our fuel stops planned out so that we dont have to gamble with a gas station. Truck stops usually are not problem. We also never drop in on a campground. Large pull throughs are a must
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
We are not garage queens...we had a little over 35,000 miles on our 2013 gasser that we traded for the Entegra.

Same question to you about cops? Have you ever been stopped / ticketed for being over length?

Thanks for info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
We're just a tad over 70' and do not have problems, so you could be just fine. However, this assumes the driver is reasonably competent. Unfortunately, many RV drivers drive 3000 miles a year and 99% of that is on an interstate. You can't expect to pilot a 70' rig without practice, practice, practice. People are not willing to do that and expect to be an instant expert because they can buy sich a rig. I saw a post a few days ago about an individual who complained he had trouble getting in and out of Flying J's RV lanes....??
Old 08-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanrvr View Post
We are not garage queens...we had a little over 35,000 miles on our 2013 gasser that we traded for the Entegra.

Same question to you about cops? Have you ever been stopped / ticketed for being over length?

Thanks for info!
Nope, never been checked or even asked. Of course I don't go into a scale as I'm not a "commercial vehicle".

I've got over 200,000 miles driving class A's that could have been classed as over length, at least in some states.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the info. Wasn't sure since we've never tried. Sounds like from a couple of PMs as well that they are mainly concerned with commercial vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Nope, never been checked or even asked. Of course I don't go into a scale as I'm not a "commercial vehicle".

I've got over 200,000 miles driving class A's that could have been classed as over length, at least in some states.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #14

Running partner had HR 40' Chev malibu and motorcycle trailer in a train. Stopped for fuel in Ok and trooper came out from coffee and said sorry I am going to have to give you a ticket. You do not have a lic to drive something like that.

Friend took out his CDL with triples, haz mat , and every other endorsement you can get and said I legally drive three 35' pups down the freeway everyday. That is longer than this and I do not go off from the freeway more than 2 miles and that is federal dot rule. He said well you are one in a million have a nice day. We still think that a overlength permit was needed but no one asked so no question no lie no foul.

In the old days there were no length rules for RV plates Now this is the book

State Towing Laws for RVs
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping