Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Camping world

Wondering if anybody has any luck negotiating with Camping World on their used rv sales? Seems no matter which location I find a potential rv the price they are asking is much higher than the Nada quote. Have seen as high as double. What gives? Also they are real consistent with not having the right model # or give none at all. Is this a marketing trick? Any input would helo

Pamandbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Essentially, yes, it is a marketing "trick," if you want to call it that. Although it really isn't a "trick" at all but just the way it is logically done.

At many dealerships, Camping World included, a large portion of their used inventory will be consignments. These are units that they don't actually hold the title to but will be performing the activities related to selling for the owner. They will be advertising, marketing, and doing the paper work and PDI, etc. once the unit is sold.

They have to "inflate" the advertised or listed price by quite a bit so that they can make their profit which will be the amount above the figure they've contracted as a net price back to the owner once a sale is made. They know a prospective buyer will be negotiating with them for a price much below that stated asking price. Therefore, there has to be "room" there to accommodate that negotiation.

I've never purchased a used RV from a dealership but I have consigned motorhomes I've owned for dealerships to sell. The first time, after I had interviewed and chosen the dealership to use for consignment, we agreed on the "net price back to me" or the amount I would accept if they were to sell the unit and then signed a contract. The next day when I noticed how much above "the net price back to me" they were advertising my RV for, I called and asked if that was too high a price to be advertising it for. They kindly told me not to worry about it as that shouldn't be any concern of mine. By accepting the consignment contract, I had agreed to accept an amount that I was willing to receive for the unit. What they were asking was actually no business of mine ...as long as I received the amount I agreed upon.

They explained that there has to be plenty of room to negotiate in order to make us all happy. They have to make money, I have to get what I had agreed to accept, and the buyer has to get the unit for the price he thinks is fair. To make all three parties happy is dependent upon the negotiating skills of the dealer.

When everything comes together, it's a win-win for all parties. I've had excellent results on the RVs that I've consigned. I did a lot of research and interviewing of dealers before I dropped my coach off for them to sell, however.

So yes, you should be negotiating with the dealership for a price lower than what they are asking. Even if the unit is one they own outright, they will probably inflate the price in a similar manner. Don't expect to pay what they are asking. Negotiate.

amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
There is so much inventory out there that you just need to continue to look until you find the unit you want and the price is what you want to pay. I can put the price of my MH at 3x it's value and I probably won't sell it. Do your research with NADA, PPLmotorhomes.com, craigslist, etc and find the pricing range for what you want to look at. Then go in prepared to walk away if you can't strike a deal. If you need financing then have that in place before your go. If you have cash it talks great. Hard for a dealer to walk away from cash. You have to be patient because you are starting to move into prime MH sells time. The deal is out there don't rush.

2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
I recently bought a coach from the CW in Houston, I offered then significantly less than NADA and they accepted the offer. You can try any number, worse thing is they will say no .... BUT they might say YES!

Good luck with your search
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #5

Originally Posted by spinn View Post
I recently bought a coach from the CW in Houston, I offered then significantly less than NADA and they accepted the offer. You can try any number, worse thing is they will say no .... BUT they might say YES!

Good luck with your search
I wait for their price. I make an offer that makes them look at me like I had 3 heads. Last 2 times....they took my offer.
Hay, it is YOUR money
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
Just the name would steer me away from CW
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought a used rental unit

FAR below Nada. Saved a bundle with CW. Been a great reliable vehicle. I never buy anything at retail prices, unless the product is NOT available anywhere else. Even gas.
Example: I've bought 300 items from Ebay and saved in excess of $5000.
It's now a game/hobby I play for fun every time I buy something.
Full Timers.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E on a Freightliner XCS chassis with a Cummins ISL9 pulling 1 and/or 2 motorcycles, '07 Honda Accord OR a 17' Runabout Boat.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm not pro or con CW, but I got what I thought to be a very good deal. My advice is look for the coach you want, style, floor plan etc. avoid falling in love with all the ones you look at thinking you could live with this or that. Once you find the one you think you want then do the research to determine the value.
Use NADA, PPL to get what coaches have actually sold for and rvtrader and others. Once you know the value then make adjustments to your offer to account for things a dealer will have to do. PDI, preperation, salesman commission, profit for company, extended warranty, road service. Keep in mind the dealer will be well below value on his cost to ensure profit and sale and the add on like service and warranty will be quoted at inflated prices.

Once you determine what you think would be a good deal your ready to deal. I go in with 3 figures in my head the first offer is below what I feel they will take. Don't be afraid to low ball their sales price, if they want to make a sale they can adjust their expense. Be confident in your research and don't flinch. I will use my second figure if dealer just can't make first deal work. The third figure is my absolute top price I'll pay. There are lots of units out there but keep in mind that if you have to travel a great distance to save a few bucks, your travel expense will eat your savings

Don't be afraid to make a low offer you can live with.
Don't be afraid to just say sorry and leave.
Remember, they make no money until they make a sale!
Good luck!
Tim & Mary Discovery 40X. Chevy Tahoe. RVM32
"I've been lost now, days uncounted..."GFR"
huntnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
+1 to Huntnski,
Never forget (and do as i say not as i do) it's YOUR money!

Enjoy your purchase
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tried twice at purchasing a used MH at two different CW! Neither would negotiate! Both used a similar phrase," we're all in" meaning no to our offer which was reasonable. Glad they were that way. As suggested it takes time and due diligence to find the right coach at the "right" price.
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
Depends a lot on the unit. I've seen them accept and offer that was 1/2 their asking. I start at 30% below NADA low retail.
Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
Fleetwood Owners Club
I recently bought a coach from the CW in Houston, I offered then significantly less than NADA and they accepted the offer.
I always hate that when they take my first offer. Feels like I may offered them too much. :( And could have gotten it for less.

For the OP
NADA gets their prices from CW sales. Started doing that 2-3 years ago. GS had the deal in their magazine write up.
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
Why worry, be happy, get RV Trader magazine and move on.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #14
we used material things for our negotiation with CW - 6 new tires and free delivery or else we would not purchase - got both (reluctantly on their part) and followed through on our end.

look the RV over fully - crawl underneath and inspect the entire guts of the thing - and demand what should be fixed actually be fixed before you agree to buy

US Army Capt. // 2009 Gulf Stream
Pro Patria // Strike Hold //
Lo Que Sea, Donde Sea, Cuando Sea
Tomaso is offline   Reply With Quote