Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2014, 07:07 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwat91 View Post
Started pumping fuel and not thinking about anything particular, my friend and I was just talking. Put the green handle pump in my tank and filled her up. Something didn't feel right but couldn't put my finger on it. Got on I-4 and started driving and noticed going up hills the engine didn't sound right, it lacked horsepower. It kelp doing that. So, I took the next exit and pulled in to eat and to think about it. I called GOODSAMS EMERGENCY CLUB and they called back with a nber to LAZYDAYS CAMPER. Guess what, if I had looked on the other side of the parking lot there they were. So, I called them and they come looked at my coach. But before they got there I looked at my sells receipt. And sure enough i got regular fuel.I called the place and ask about the pump and was told they use black handles for there diesel fuel. Oh no !! LAZYDAYS to my rescue and $3000.00 of my money Donald"Dr.Don"Watkins
MSgt USAF Retl
Oh my God, I thought I was the only one to do a boneheaded thing like that. Green or yellow handle always meant diesel to me. Wow, 3k to have it taken care of? I had the tank drained and enough fuel put in to get me to a truck stop for $800. A mistake that will NEVER happen again!!!!!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauke View Post
We are in Eastern NC and have traveled as far as Wilmington and the Triad area looking. We have seen four that we liked, all different makes but similar floor plans - a Coachman Encounter (new), a Thor Daybreak (new), a Thor Hurricane (new) and a Challenger (used) with less than 5,000 miles on it (wonder why). Some of the best advice I've seen is to be able to walk away and we can definitely do that. One can learn a lot shopping around! We had originally decided against getting a new one but now are debating that. The used ones that we have seen have really been used and most were purchased at auctions.
IMHO used is the only way to go unless you are going to keep your rig until death do you part or you will take a bath on reselling or trade in. There are a ton of excellent used units just have to keep looking.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #59

We bought from CW in Las Vegas 3 years ago. It was a used 2007 40ft Phaeton. It is our 3rd MH and was our first used one. Buying went well and we were happy until we had them fix stuff. Total disaster ! I would go anyplace besides this "backyard garage" to get stuff fixed. Total rip-off and poor poor poor quality repairs. I guess the bottom line is if the coach you buy from them is in good shape you are fine-but never return to get something repaired !
Pa Uon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #60

I just have to jump in on this thread. I cannot say enough good things about the people at Camping World Wilsonville/Portland, Oregon. We limped in one evening just a few minutes before closing with a jack stuck in the half-down position. The techs stayed on late to service and fix the problem, the store staff kept us comfortable with coffee and conversation. This group has my sincere gratitude. I guess it can be said of most national brand companies, it's the people who make the company.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #61

We just bought our Motorhome from Camping World in Madison, WI. I would not recommend them to anyone. They were terrible to deal with and never followed through. It was an awful experience. The tough part is in our area there are not a lot of places that sell used class A diesel pushers. So they kind of have you.

Just my 2 cents!
Brajo50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
True story, I found a 2010 Damon Tuscany 425hp Cummins, for sale on line at CW in Avondale AZ. It's asking price was $169,900.00. I called and said I would not travel almost 100 miles to see this coach if they were not flexible on the price. The salesman says... Come on over and you can have her "today" for $120,000.00, he dropped the price $50,000.00 in 30 seconds! I was on my way but... DW didn't like the coach so we didn't even go look at it. Why would they mark it up so high and drop it so easily?
tomd85208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #63

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This answer will not help you much but it is as truthful as I can get.

Camping world is a large chain of stores, Each store has its own manager and personality, Some are very good, Some are.. Not so hot.. Some you really should avoid.

Please note that the above statements apply to many large chain stores. Some are good, Some bad Some ugly. Company name does not much matter.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowpulpit View Post
Run Forest Run!
Good Advice! I am sure there are some good CW locations I just have not heard of any. My experience has been that you get a better deal from a locally owned Dealership or if you are comfortable with it shop the for sale ads. Around Atlanta the BEST service is at locally owned locations.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #65

When we bought ours a few weeks back we looked on rvtrader.com and eBay but we only wanted to buy from a private party. We found a DP 40 miles away. We also knew that buying used (anything with wheels/tires) you are going to have to put some money back into it for repairs. The people we bought from had a nice maintenance history and were willing to deal. Why pay the markup at a dealership?
Beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:33 AM   #66

Gauke
We bought our coach new at St Augustine CW and got a very good price on an 'orphaned' MCC Cayman that had sat on their lot for 444 days. When we couldn't get them to go lower on the price we worked deals from the camping store side involving free installation and/or discounted prices. That CW was awful and never did much right. They really stonewalled us. But a few years later CW took over a store in our town and I found them to be helpful and competent.
What I want to suggest is you should do your homework and determine exactly which coach you want and what the price range is and then go shopping. We went looking for used and ended up buying new, and there are pros and cons for that. New is fine for experienced RVers who want to buy a quality coach (and know which ones are quality) expecting to keep it for a long time. Otherwise I suggest used. You haven't given much parameters as for what you want to buy, so I will give you the only advice I have knowledge about. Look for an MCC with the 8 or 10 bag chassis, and start with the Diplomat or above. Avoid the RR4R chassis (we have one). These coaches have about the best chassis/ride and quality you can find short of one of the super coaches. That said, I suggest you rent an RV first and get some idea as to whether you like this lifestyle.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #67

Gauke
Sorry, brain not engaged. MCC=Monaco Coach Corporation. If you don't expect much from a dealership (and haven't paid for it--I don't buy warranties) then you won't be disappointed. Buy from a private owner if possible, and that means more homework and getting it checked out by a competent RV mechanic. We simply did not feel comfortable selling our old coach and that's why we were going to dealerships. Here is the Archive link for Monaco: Monaco Brochures and remember they also made Holiday Rambler, Safari, and Beaver. While the Monaco lineup is (descending price--from memory) Signature, The Executive, Dynasty, Windsor, Camelot, Diplomat, Knight, Cayman, their 'sister' coaches for say, a Cayman in a Holiday Rambler would be a Neptune. You might have to do some research to figure out the rest. Don't be put off by the price of a current Dynasty as Monaco is just now re-starting under ASV. Good luck.

Tags
camping