Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #15

We finally found THE motorhome for us at Camping World. The salesman was very knowledgeable, and knew Winnebago Motorhomes inside/out, as he owned and traveled in them for around 20 years. We feel we were treated well, and got a reasonable deal.
Can't say the same for the service dept. for that store.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought a MH from camping world. I got a good deal on the coach and used part of the good deal to buy the platinum warranty. With a used coach having a basically bumper to bumper warranty seemed like a good deal and it has been. The service department at camping world where I bought mine was inept. When I bought it the hot water heater would not work off of shore power only gas and it had a leak in the water heater. I was also told everything had been inspected. When we hooked up to water we got anti freeze out of the faucets and we did not buy in the winter. I went back the next day with a list of compaints. They got right on it and brought it told me that with the bigger ( than my fifth wheel) water heater I needed to use the electric and gas to get the water hot then the electric would carry it from there. I went out to the coach and noticed I still had a water leak. I asked the mechanic about that and he looked at it then came back with a wrench and tightened the drain plug. I can say it did not make me feel comfortable. I took the unit back out and hooked it to water and shore power. turned the gas and the electric on to the hot water heater left it overnight and then turned off the gas. After we ran that hot water out using it we did not have any more until finally that night I turned the gas back on to the water heater. I took my unit home and pulled out the electric heater element. It was shot and cracked in three places. I called customer service for camping world and pitched a fit. in about an hour that camping world manager called me and asked what was wrong and I told him. I took my unit back the next weekend and showed him the supposedly working heater element ( I fixed mine by going to Lowes and getting one for 10.00) There was a couple of other problems I had he said he would get them fixed immediately and I told him I wanted all of the fluids changed including my generator to make up for the trouble I had been caused. He had no problem doing that. He was the new manager and was trying to get the store in better customer service condition. I have been to that store several times since getting work done under my warranty. The problems I have had have not been big problems. I bought a 7 year old coach. The satteliter dish went out on a trip they replaced it with a new one. The sensor on my awning went out and the awning would roll itself back in a few minutes after you put it out. They replaced that with a whole new system. They had to replace one of my jacks that was going up slowly those kind of things. When I get a chance to go back they are going to have to fix one of my defrosters that is not working and my power reel cord is not rolling up my cord. The only serious problem I have had with my coach is a cracked high pressure fuel line three weeks after I bought it. The coach only had 30,000 miles and to have a line crack is one of those things that just happen. But I got it replaced and cost me my deductible. I know this has been a long post but the point I am trying to make is that if you have problems with camping world call there customer service department like any other big business you deal with to get the problem resolved. I also think if you are buying a used coach get the best warranty you can get because you do not know what has been done to that coach before.

I cannot imagine buying a new coach unless money is just not an object the value on Motor homes goes down so fast. I looked at a 2013 Winnebago tour that was parked next to a 2012 Winnebago tour. Both new the 2012 just had not sold yet. They were the same size and had pretty much the same options. The 2012 was 100,000.00 cheaper because it had not sold and they needed to sell it. When you go to 2 or 3 years old the difference can be even more.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #17

Gauke, first of all on buying, you and your spouse need to decide on gas / diesel, length, number of slides, etc. Another thing you see it on this web site and others, tires, tires and tires. On those tires there is a manufacture date, you need to check those. They are normally good for about 10 years. Theads may look good but the sides are another, cracks , dry rot. So, look at those tires the closer to that date (10 years) you may have to be buying tires. They're not cheap.
Another thing, go looking around, not to buy just look to get a feel of what you want. Go to Camping World not to buy but look cause the one near me had lots of them so that you can get that feel. Once you've narrowed it down then go online and RV lots to buy with knowledge. Just like homes they have HOME INSPECTORS so does RVs. If you are a member of goodsams they can tell you where one is your area. I think the cost of one is $250.00. Happy Hunting!
Donald"Dr.Don"Watkins
MSgt USAF Ret
donwat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #18

Gauke , one more thing, get up on top of the roof and if you have too get down on your hands and knees to check it out. You'll be glad you did.
Donald'Dr.Don"Watkins
MSgt USAF Ret
donwat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #19

Here is a link to a pre-purchase checklist.

RV Inspection Checklist

Whether you buy new or used you should be this thorough before taking delivery of a new unit, or pay for a used unit. Do not assume that an new RV will be free of problems. Assume that every system has been installed improperly at the factory and the dealer does not care if the RV works or not. You may find an RV that has been built with care and a dealer that provides good customer service but you won't know if you don't look.

If buying a used unit I would negotiate a price and get written agreement with the seller. The agreement should stipulate all defects known to the seller. Then take your time and go over every item on the checklist, if everything looks OK then I would pay to have a pre-purchase inspection done by a professional that does not know the seller and has never seen the RV before. DO NOT get an inspection done by someone that has worked on the RV in the past. After completing the inspection you can re-negotiate the price based on any defects found. If the seller balks at this process do not walk away from the deal, RUN!

I would also buy a service agreement to cover everything on the (used) RV. You don't have to buy a service agreement from a dealer. There are many of them out there that deal directly with the owner. The good thing about a service agreement is you don't have to go back to the dealer or factory authorized service center. You can hire, and fire anyone you want. In my opinion, the reason the dealers have such poor customer service is that they have a steady supply of customers with RV's under factory warranty. They can't be fired so they don't care.

Good luck.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Such good information and believe me, I am listening! BTW, one of the new coaches we looked at was 2013 and the dealer is ready to move it. Money is certainly an object and we will walk away in a moment if the price is too high. As I said earlier we would prefer a used but not a smelly one that needs a lot of work! As we looked yesterday I felt like a House Hunter participant. "That's above our budget" and "move in ready" were two of the phrases that popped in my mind several times. We are continuing to visit different dealers and we are getting a feel for what we want. We definitely want gas. The other two things we'd like to have: a separate toilet (not an absolute necessity) and room on the sides of the bed to walk around. That is a necessity for my husband! I know we won't spend a lot of time in the bedroom but when he gets up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night he wants room to navigate without crawling out the end of the bed and stumbling around!

Thanks so much for your input. As a Newbie I want all of the advice you can send my way. Times for your time!
Gauke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #21

CW in Myrtle Beach had a Damon Astoria I was looking at about six months ago. They wanted $120,000 for it. When it came time to talk money, the sales manager said, "we're absolutely firm on the price, we are all in right there." That turned me off right away because I never pay sticker price for anything with an engine and wheels. Then a few weeks later, I saw it on the internet, on there web site, for $100,000. My take is the guy lied to me and I'll never purchase anything from CW in MB. I'll also be leery of any other CW too. Needless to say, I'm still looking and learning.

I did have a very good experience with Rex & Sons in Wilmington, NC back in 2009 when I bought my Coachman TT. I got a real good deal on it. Before my first trip with it I wanted to make sure the gas furnace worked and it didn't. I called them and one of the sons said, "hey, your house is on the way to my house, I'll stop by and check it out." He did, and fixed it for me. Just a loose thermostat wire. He had also previously come to my house to look at my trade. Great folks to work with. They have a number of gas MH's on their lot, no DP's. They supplied the MH's for the movie RV that was recently in theaters.

I would also like to recommend Tom Johnson's in Concord & Marion. I was recently in Marion and was very pleased with the sales folks there. That is likely where I will go when I'm ready to spend my money.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Headed to Tom Johnson's in Marion during Thanksgiving!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Found just what we want at Rex and Sons on the Internet except it's new and way too expensive! Since it's a red dot I guess there is no negotiation!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauke View Post
Such good information and believe me, I am listening! BTW, one of the new coaches we looked at was 2013 and the dealer is ready to move it. Money is certainly an object and we will walk away in a moment if the price is too high. As I said earlier we would prefer a used but not a smelly one that needs a lot of work!
We started our Class A hunt at the local Camping World. The people were nice, but the used rigs all were dirty and smelled! We have a General RV about 5 miles farther south. Their used units were clean and did not smell. We ended up buying our first used unit from General RV and then traded it in 6 months later once we found out how much we love camping and knew what we really wanted. We still go to Camping World to shop for stuff, and to look around, but we are glad we went with General RV.
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #25

Congrats on going RVing. From experience go to a large RV , Hershey PA in the best east of the Mississippi. Look at everything from Tear Drop, to Prevost or
Budski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #26

Oppose or from $1500 to $1500000 find the rig that gives you the wam and fuzzy feeling, then go one size bigger. If I had followed my own advice I'd should have saved a ton of money over the long run. Also if possible go diesel you'll never go back
Budski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are 85 Camping World RV Sales Centers around the country. So it stands to reason there will be more complaints about Camping World than anybody else.

One of the advantages of buying from a place that has 85 locations around the country is the ability to get service if you travel around the United States very much.

We've been to dozens of Camping Worlds in our travels and have been generally pleased.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
There are a lot of CW around. Most are RV companies that have been bought out and staffed with the same folks. These dealerships were all failing. So now you have a dealership that is still in decline with a new sign. I have shopped CW for new and used DP. Do your self a favor buy diesel. JMO, but it's a well thought out one! In your area you'll find Tom Johnson who offer full service, mostly well published customer service reviews. Work with them if possible. Never ever buy anything from CW at Myrtle Beach SC. As said earlier, run Forrest run!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping