Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2015, 01:43 PM   #29

I know that for some folks, doing their own service work is not possible. But if at all possible, do it yourself. It is no more difficult than doing your car or pickup. We used to be in the trucking business. I did almost all of the service myself. We tried to do it between 12,000 and 15,000 miles. Once in a while a truck would be out and needed service, so we would have it done on the road. You would not believe how many times the oil drain plug or the oil filter would start to leak 100 miles down the road after service. We have had fuel filters installed so that they leaked or let in air.

When I greased the fittings they would usually take 2-3 pumps on the gun. If it had been serviced on the road, and I did it the next time, 7-8 pumps on the gun. That told me that nothing was greased when they did it.

I also found loose items, frayed wires, air lines that needed to be secured, hose clamps that needed tightened, in other words, lots of things that would have caused me problems later, if I had not caught them early.

Even if you don't do your own service, at least crawl underneath and look. You don't have to understand everything under there, to see something wrong. And the more you look, the more you will understand....
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 04:02 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
There are some "big rig" places that will change oil for that price or better, and you can often supply your own filters for a reduced rate if you are worried about that. I'm convinced that our local RV sales/services places quadruple the price of any service item --because they've got us by the short hairs. Most RV owners, including myself, don't know enough about these kinds of things to reject a ridiculous quote, and/or we feel like RV dealers must "know more about my RV" than a local big rig place, so we pay the price. I suspect that's true for everything that's non-chassis, but oil and filter changes--nah. SpeedCo did my last oil change. Their default filters were some off-brand, which I rejected, but they did have Cummins filters too. I watched them pull the old ones off and screw the new ones on. And they used Rotella oil. Now... maybe they missed a few grease nipples here and there? I suppose that's possible.
What was the price at Speedco?
With Doberman (Bailey) & Shitzu (Cooper)
NVMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:26 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post
I know that for some folks, doing their own service work is not possible. But if at all possible, do it yourself. It is no more difficult than doing your car or pickup. We used to be in the trucking business. I did almost all of the service myself. We tried to do it between 12,000 and 15,000 miles. Once in a while a truck would be out and needed service, so we would have it done on the road. You would not believe how many times the oil drain plug or the oil filter would start to leak 100 miles down the road after service. We have had fuel filters installed so that they leaked or let in air.

When I greased the fittings they would usually take 2-3 pumps on the gun. If it had been serviced on the road, and I did it the next time, 7-8 pumps on the gun. That told me that nothing was greased when they did it.

I also found loose items, frayed wires, air lines that needed to be secured, hose clamps that needed tightened, in other words, lots of things that would have caused me problems later, if I had not caught them early.

Even if you don't do your own service, at least crawl underneath and look. You don't have to understand everything under there, to see something wrong. And the more you look, the more you will understand....
I do the same thing.
All you need is a large filter strap and a couple Home Depot 5 gal buckets. I pour the spent oil back onto the plastic jugs. Take it to rec. center.
Good idea to get under her and give her a good inspection frequently.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:28 PM   #32

crawling under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post

How right you are, one time after servicing my coach, I rolled around on my creeper and I found a nut had come off the bottom end of a shock.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
My Cat C13 used 8 gallons of Rotella. Oil filter and 2 fuel filters and chassis lube last year at Alliance coach was $500. It sounds like I spent too much. Where in Central Florida would someone recommend going for a better price?
I don't know, but if you find one let me know. I assume Orlando Freightliner and Cummins South and most dealers are probably the same price. I've been looking for a place to get my wheels aligned and have the balance checked on my tires (Its brand new about 6 weeks ago). There are a few truck shops of OBT I want to check out.

Most likely I'll change it myself. Its really a matter of where to do the work. Think I'll get a Fumoto valve and just spread a big tarp on the driveway. Of course, the thing barely fits and has a slope to it. Need to figure which end should be in first for the best oil draining tilt.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:55 AM   #34

driveway

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
I don't know, but if you find one let me know. I assume Orlando Freightliner and Cummins South and most dealers are probably the same price. I've been looking for a place to get my wheels aligned and have the balance checked on my tires (Its brand new about 6 weeks ago). There are a few truck shops of OBT I want to check out.

Most likely I'll change it myself. Its really a matter of where to do the work. Think I'll get a Fumoto valve and just spread a big tarp on the driveway. Of course, the thing barely fits and has a slope to it. Need to figure which end should be in first for the best oil draining tilt.

There are some communities that would not let you park a unit like that for long blocking the sidewalk! I am fortunately my driveway is 90' long. I made 4" high sturdy drive up ramps out of 2X6's, when I park my unit the drive wheels are upon them and it makes the coach level and the rear high up so I can get under and service the engine.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:57 AM   #35

Beautiful looking coach jondrew.

Why not take a trip to Freightliner in Gaffney, SC and get them to perform a all wheel alignment? It would be a nice drive and you could take in a factory tour. They can do it all. Don't forget to get the ride height checked if you take it somewhere else.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:03 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMike View Post

Sorry-I don't recall exactly. But I suspect the prices vary anyway depending on your location. Check out their web page, find a location close to you and call them up. I think I paid about $150ish?
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:09 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMike View Post
Hi Mike here is Speedco's prices:
http://www.speedco.com/83c4c5ba9d_si...eetJAn2014.pdf
Old 02-22-2015, 09:42 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
I doubt all walmarts are the same but the one down the street from thousand trails orlando swapped my oil for $25 labor. I bought the oil inside and provided the filter.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Palehorse:
Thanks!
With Doberman (Bailey) & Shitzu (Cooper)
NVMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #40

National RV Owners Club
I use Freightliner in Salt Lake City, Utah for oil service. $185 for full service. Also use them for alignment, don't remember the cost. They do all three filters and lube.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:02 PM   #41

Take it to Speedco, it isn't worth cleaning up the mess. If you can afford a diesel pusher you can afford to have the oil changed.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:07 PM   #42

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtovo View Post
Take it to Speedco, it isn't worth cleaning up the mess. If you can afford a diesel pusher you can afford to have the oil changed.

OK, but some of us enjoy doing the maintenance and/or we don't have confidence in the service some companies provide.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping