Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #1

Camping World for Diesel Oil Change?

I would like some opinions regarding Camping World performing an oil change on my 8.3 Cummins ISC. Their price is quite reasonable.

Or, any other recomendations? I am in Ft Myers, FL.
thirdwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have had our diesel MH oil change performed there and had no problems. They were very courteous even let us stay overnight in their lot and supplied us electricity as we has an early a.m. appointment and were leaving after the oil change to go camping close to their location. They are 2.5 hrs from our home.
Diane98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdwall View Post
I would like some opinions regarding Camping World performing an oil change on my 8.3 Cummins ISC. Their price is quite reasonable.

Or, any other recomendations? I am in Ft Myers, FL.

The Fort Myers CW seems pretty competent. The single best place for L/O/F service is Speedco but they don't have any locations in FL. There is one on I75 at exit 2 in GA and one on I95 fairly close to the FL border.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drive a gasser.. Went to CW once
1:They charged nearly 50% more than an authorized servcice center
2:And, I requested synthetic, they put in dino.

I think, however, the first line is the more important one.

Cheaper at a authorized service center.

NOW: that said, Mine is a gasser. Diesels might be different in this regard. But check it out first.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #5

An oil change & filters is about all I would let CW do to my coach, and even then it would be because I couldn't find anyone else.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:59 AM   #6

I used to take my coach there all the time and they always did a great job, but I recently noticed over the past few years that the technicians were leaving for other jobs. The best and experienced technicians are no longer there because bottom line is CW was not willing to pay for the experience and was more concerned with the bottom line than the service to the customer.
I no longer have the coach or generator serviced at CW I go out of convenience if they have something I want to purchase.
Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:25 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
You're driving a Cummins Engine... You need to go and see Cummins Central Power... Look here: Cummins Service Florida | Cummins Engines & Generators in Fort Myers, FL
Old 06-28-2014, 06:34 AM   #8

We have a CW about 15 miles from our home and have used them for maintenance on some systems maintenance, but that was a convenience decision mostly. They bear close watching as their quality control measures are next to nothing. If you mess up an inverter installation, then the worst that can happen is to replace it and some downstream electronics. The engine is an entirely different matter. An oil change is pretty simple, but there too many ways to mess it up, and all costly. Use a professional or do it yourself. I still use CW some, but they wrecked my toad once. Never understood how that happened, but I am sure it was an interesting story. Good luck.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:06 AM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I only went to Cummins for oil changes. I would never go to Camping World for this type of service.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Camping Worlds are all different so look here first to get an idea of how your nearby one is on service RV Service Reviews

After checking the price at a couple of places, some around $250 I gave up and started changing my own. It is a PIA to deal with six gallons of used oil but well worth it to me.

First step was installing a Fumoto valve. $27 from Amazon. Oil filter from Online Truck Filters for Sale, Filterbarn H&S Industries - Filterbarn for $30 Shell Rotella locally on sale for $33 a case of 3 gallons, need 2 cases. So after the initial money for the Fumoto oil changes are under $100
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #11

CW? Nope....
Old 06-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #12

Camping World beware

The worst service I have had in my life was at CW Redding CA. Charged me $905 for mis diagnosing problems, no repairs and had the MH for over a month. Premier in Junction city OR correctly diagnosed and repaired in one day for $550 the problems I was having. Wish I had checked review on CW before I had taken it there.
river11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Camping Worlds are all different so look here first to get an idea of how your nearby one is on service RV Service Reviews

After checking the price at a couple of places, some around $250 I gave up and started changing my own. It is a PIA to deal with six gallons of used oil but well worth it to me.

First step was installing a Fumoto valve. $27 from Amazon. Oil filter from Online Truck Filters for Sale, Filterbarn H&S Industries - Filterbarn for $30 Shell Rotella locally on sale for $33 a case of 3 gallons, need 2 cases. So after the initial money for the Fumoto oil changes are under $100

X2
I'm with you Mark!

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
The motorhome is too important to me not to have the best technicians working on it, even if just for an oil change. I'd take it to a shop committed to and familiar with Cummins engines. Helps me sleep at night. My two cents, \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, diesel