Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryvan View Post
cwh down to 21.18, any takers??? how low can it go??? LOL, like HIT the Rhod said, if they pay me, maybe...

can't even imagine how a corporation with a image that bad could ever turn it around.
I believe you are thinking of the people on sites like IRV2 as the typical RV owners. I don't believe that we are. I think we are better informed than most of the owners out there, and probably use our rigs more than the majority of owners.

Camping world and similar organizations prosper on customers who are new to RV's, uninformed, or just plain naive in my opinion. Many of them don't know any better and so they go to "the experts". Who could be more expert than the people with all the glossy commercials and ads in magazines?!?

Look at how many people post on this site about experiences at Camping World or other sites, seek advice, and after discussions with other members, say something like "I wish I had come on this site BEFORE I had (insert mistake flavor of the month)!

It's a learning experience. As owners mature, and some learn from the mistakes of others, and seek and follow advice given out on sites like these, they rely less and less on companies like Camping world, more and more on networking with informed owners etc.

We consider ourselves relatively knowledgeable with regards to RV's, and we still shop at Camping World, occasionally, more for the clearance items, or convenience when traveling, NEVER for service. But that's just us!

So to get back to your original comment, if Camping Worlds bad reputation exists mostly with informed consumers, but Camping Worlds customer base exists mostly of UN-informed consumers, then they may indeed prosper . . .

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #16

Let me go counter to the trend of the comments: I don't use CW often, but we did when we installed a washer/dryer (or should say had it installed). Their price, installed, was the lowest in the area (Austin/San Antonio) and it was a first class job. The only objection I had was that it took about 2 hours longer than quoted because they had to do more work with the existing cabinet than expected, but they didn't charge me more for that. My suspicion is that some of the commenters who say they would never use CW have never used CW but are reacting to other comments. Just sayin' that's a possibility. While they usually won't be my first choice (I do most of my own work but didn't want to deal with the weight and installation on the washer-dryer) but neither would I summarily rule them out.

Let the flames begin.

jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusselltx View Post
Let me go counter to the trend of the comments: I don't use CW often, but we did when we installed a washer/dryer (or should say had it installed). Their price, installed, was the lowest in the area (Austin/San Antonio) and it was a first class job. The only objection I had was that it took about 2 hours longer than quoted because they had to do more work with the existing cabinet than expected, but they didn't charge me more for that. My suspicion is that some of the commenters who say they would never use CW have never used CW but are reacting to other comments. Just sayin' that's a possibility. While they usually won't be my first choice (I do most of my own work but didn't want to deal with the weight and installation on the washer-dryer) but neither would I summarily rule them out.

Let the flames begin.
What you are saying might be true. But what is also true is that just like a car dealership the Ford dealership on the west side of town might be horrible but the one on the east side of town is great. They are both Ford dealerships but probably have different names. In this case CW operates all the stores under the same name. Some are great, some are OK, and some are horrible. This is true of anything with multiple stores. And stores should be called out individually rather then lumping them in with the whole.

For example, I know the CW in Woodstock GA is very very limited on space. I have never used the service department myself, but have heard many bad stories. What I do know is that I have gone to the parts counter several times to inquire about things and without going into detail... have been very not happy with their service, support, and sometimes friendliness.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusselltx View Post

Let the flames begin.
As I am sure has been stated here, there are bad Camping Worlds, and I understand that there are GREAT Camping Worlds, I just haven't run across any of the later! Case in point. Camping World in Chattanooga, TN. They had the electric heating element for my Dometic fridge in our 2001 Prowler TT. The price was a fair price. When I picked it up the Service Writer asked me if they were going to install it, or if I was going to install it. Just for kicks I asked them how much they charged. 2.2 hours at $109.00 per hour. He stated that the fridge had to be slid out into the coach to get at it. That's why the 2.2 hours. I could leave it and it would take a couple of days to "work it in". We were heading to Florida, so I declined.

I also noted a sign above the desk that stated (I am paraphrasing here, I took a picture of the sign, but I don't have it handy). "We charge Flat Rate for all service repairs. However occasionally the work takes longer, so in those cases we charge the actual time required for the repair."

Two nights later, we stopped and I had time to address the heating element. It wasn't a crisis because the fridge ran just fine on propane, but the electric heating element tested as a direct open.

Twenty (20) minutes later, the fridge was fixed. Done from the outside, unplugged fridge, took the cover over the electrical off, unplugged two spade connectors, cut two tie wraps, removed one screw, pulled out burned out element, installed new element, replaced one screw,put cover back on, spent 5 minutes locating new tie wraps, secured wires, and reinstalled outside cover . . . . twenty minutes . . . . and we didn't even have to leave the trailer for a couple of days for me to "work in" the 2.2 hour repair! . . . .

2nd case, same trailer, Bowling Green, KY, Camping World, right after we purchased it, noted that the hot water heater wouldn't stay running on propane. Took it in, said it would take about an hour to look it over, I could stay or come back. We went out, ate lunch, went shopping, came back two hours later. They hadn't looked at it yet . . . . Finally got to it about 90 minutes later, spent about 30 minutes "going over and testing it" and said it needed a new hot water heater for I think around $700.00. but we would have to leave it. I declined.

This led to me finding IRV2, and making one of my first posts asking for help. I kid you not, a guy PM'd me within 1 hour, had a picture of the same unit, with arrows, told me to mark the exact location of burner tube, remove screw, remove elbow, reach into mixing chamber with Q tip and remove the spider web, reassemble and I would be good to go! I figured he was crazy, but it was worth a try. I did as described, removed the elbow, looked up in the chamber with a flash light and low and behold, there was a white, whispy nest or web. Cleaned it out with a Q tip, reassembled, and it worked perfectly! Total time about 15 minutes. . . Was still working perfectly when we sold it two years later! That guy is a genius! After 30 minutes of "Testing and Inspecting" Camping World's expert opinion was that the entire unit required replacing . . . .

I've taken enough time here, but I could relate other reasons I will never take anything of mine more complicated than a tooth pick to Camping World to be worked on.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:30 AM   #19

I buy from them because it is convenient and they have a lot of stuff in one place. Having said that I don't think I would buy an RV from them and am pretty skeptical of service. I have spoken to folks who have worked in service and parts and they are very frustrated.

My point is that I think it is a good business model but suffers from poor management. No company can do well in the long term that way. I am in the wait and see mode.

Tags
camping