Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #15
If you want something done now and right you have to do it yourself.

2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #16
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Camping World once tried to sell my wife a complete leveling system. All we needed was one leveler rebuilt with new o-rings. $100 instead of $1000. She thinks it was because she is female. I think it didn't matter if male or female, it was about money.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
Now you know why I never drive into a CW facility. I guess there's a lot of folks willing to put up with their BS.
Monaco 2004 Signature 45' Castle IV Detroit 60
Towing 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #18
Check out Tiffin at Red Bay, factory service is backed up out of town. Folks spend weeks and months there getting service. Too many buyers not enough Techs
2016 Entegra Cornerstone
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The RV industry got decimated several years ago. I suspect many talented and experienced techs were laid off. I stopped in two days ago with a small issue and as a service owner the conversation was very interesting. Recalling the huge decline and commiserating with the manager how bad it had been especially in an industry where the dollars spent are the (shoot, forgot the term), well, the leftover ones dry up, and that they were experiencing quite an improvement and he could tell this season was well beyond the normal length.

So, be patient as they rebuild their strength and experience. They have gone through a terrible war.

Service people get little credit for wanting to do a good job. Great satisfaction is finding a difficult problem and having a smile on a customers face. We are like waiters, we do our best but there are so many other folks in the food chain.

So please my friends, hug your local service provider and try to understand these complex beasts were built by the lowest bidder, (mfgr). And you want the cheapest and best of course. And you want it now, not tomorrow.

My recommendation to any potential RV buyer, (buy a tent and learn how to camp), or buy some tools and a voltmeter and learn how to use them, OR, Be good with a checkbook.

AMEN. Darn, that feels good.

BTY. I was Service Person of the Year for Motorola. I know how to make customers smile. We fix customers, not problems.
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:43 AM   #20
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
BTY. I was Service Person of the Year for Motorola. I know how to make customers smile. We fix customers, not problems.
Great service people have that attitude.
However is imposable for service shops, (who's management only cares about the "bottom line") to hire, and/or retain, service people with the knowledge, skill and attitude to create satisfied customers.
IMO, most "employees" reflect the attitude of their "employer"... AND many service shops need an "attitude adjustment".
'96 Safari
mel s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:20 AM   #21
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is too funny!!!! I have never seen a CW service department busy!!!!! Seems like everyone we past while on the road service bay's look empty.(One reason I would never have them do service let alone you can walk around their store for an hour before if you are lucky you are asked if you need help then stand at the checkout counter till their computers come back up!) Not like others. Lazy Days service bays are crazy! But they get it done. One thing I have learned, I always give a date when I expect service to be complete before I that our coach in, if it canít be completed by that date I know upfront Service Writer and I set another date, even La Mesa whom I not real fond of works by this arrangement.

If you have my back on service you have my next Coach purchase!!!!!

Mark & Shaleen
2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40X 380CUM, The BBBeast, 2 Harley's, 2 Kayak's, 2 Mountain bikes, 3 Cats, Rosa(the late), Scoot, Harley BraveHeart
Shark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #22
Originally Posted by phnguyk View Post
Tried to convince me I needed a new genny since it was nearing it's end of it's life with 900 hours, only had 90 hours. Good luck.
This would be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic. It doesn't say much for the service advisor either.
RHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #23
Our local CW promises fast service no matter how long it takes.
Roger & Karen Johnson
2015 Discovery 40E
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
johnsonk555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #24
CW succeeds, despite itself.
autumn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #25

The title of this thread bothers me inasmuch as it leads a reader to think that CW is bad. Quite the opposite, because being backed up on repairs is a sign of a busy shop, and busy shops generally are that way because they do good jobs and have good wrenches.

That goes for all repair shops for all products.

The only way to reduce service time is to hire more wrenches (assuming space is not a problem). That puts the CW into the position of hiring young guys that use our coaches for OJT, or old guys that have been fired from their other jobs. It's a slippery slope to get good people and retain them.

Anyway, the title could just as well have been, "CW near me is busy as all get-out".
Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 46K miles
...from Sept 2015
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #26
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow what an interesting thread. I must lead a charmed life I have never had the problems you talk about in this thread. Closest I have had was a camping world in Northern California that I went to when my satellite dish stopped working. Was going to be two weeks before they could see me and I was not going to be there for two weeks.

At my camping world in Arkansas I make an appointment usually I make it based on when I will be in that area sometimes a week later sometimes two or three weeks. When I get there my unit gets worked on that day. If they need parts I have been lucky and everything they need parts for has not kept me from using the coach so they order parts and I come back when they get them. On the return trip I am out the same day.

In California I had an overheating proble m and went to a freightliner garage that had an RV department. They found a bad fan controller and had it overnighted from Memphis Tennessee I was on the road the next day.

When I was in Bartlesville, Ok. My power cord reel quit working. I made an appointment the next day to get it checked out. The reel had to be replaced and the RV repair shop had authorization from my good sams warranty to order it that day and it came in about 4 days later. They replaced it the afternoon it came in.

If a company has to order parts there is going to be a delay. If you want to compare this to non rv vehicles. Chevrolet had my Silverado diesel pickup in the shop for two weeks getting a new turbo and getting it installed. Buck had my enclave in the dealership for three days replacing brake calipers and shoes.

If I make an appointment and take my RV to a shop and it set for several weeks I would be picking it up and finding another shop. Unless it was non movable that is ridiculous.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #27
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would also like to point out I know the manager at my camping world very well. If I get crappy service he finds out about it. I have his business card with his cell phone. If I get very good service he finds out about that also. I have noticed in the last couple of years that people I complain about seem to not be there much longer. The people that I tell him how good a service are there when I go back. The more time that goes by the more often I tell him how great the service was and the less I have to tell him that I received bad service.

I also do the same thing at Lowes because I shop there a lot. I received bad service once years ago and called headquarters to complain. The next day an assistant manager called asking what had happened and what he could do to make me happy. I told him what happened and all I wanted was good customer service. Now that assistant manager and I are good friends and we chat every time I go into his store if he is there. I still tell him about the employees that give me good service and the occasional bad service. According to what he tells me the ones I compliment he points out the good remarks he got for that person at the next team meeting. The bad service he spends some time with that employee giving them training on how to be more customer service orientated.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #28
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by phnguyk View Post
After complaints we had with our local cw, they performed a free lube and genny tune up.
Lube was never done as evidenced by crud still on the zerk fittings. Genny tune up never done even though they tried to charge me for a new oil filter stating parts aren't included, which our onan 4000 doesn't even have a filter. Tried to convince me I needed a new genny since it was nearing it's end of it's life with 900 hours, only had 90 hours. Good luck.
At 900 hours it's just broken in and at 90 it's just started!

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote

camping, service