Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #1

Camping World - Slow service

I've had our motorhome in to Camping World on a few occasions for service, and it seems like they are always swamped. Normally, when making a service appt. they are always 2-4 weeks out before you can bring your coach in. Then, once in, it take 2-3 weeks to get the work done! Just checking to see if this is normal? Has anyone else had this experience or are they faster than that and its just me?
brianlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
With all the baby booomers buying rv's right and left,
if not the norm, it will be very shortly....

Here in DFW most of the rv svc ctrs save their voice and just post a blackboard that says something like:

If you drop it off today, 10-28-14
you can expect it back no sooner than 12-25-14...

at least the more honest ones do...

Sounds like a business opportunity to me
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
In central Texas CW offered the quickest time to get mine in. It is there now. Needs new hydraulic power gear front jacks replaced. One week to diagnose and get extended warranty approved. Parts are supposed to arrive Nov 4. Should be able to pick up soon after. If all goes well. Pleased so far with feedback from service dept. I have read nothing but horror stories about CW on this site but really did not see an alternative with my time contraints. Still working and planning two week trip end of November. I am hoping to post glowing reviews about my experience!!! JD
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #4

Called for an oil charge and was told it would be 4 weeks before they could get to it. Changed the oil myself. Never be in a hurry with them.
John58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #5

My coach has benn at camping world since august 01,2014.Still not ready.Terrible.
Ray Stooksbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #6

Good luck,we bought our coach in dec.2013,it's been in shop more than we've used it.
C/w,seem they only work on 1 item at a time.order parts,then wait for parts,work that item,before troubleshooting other items for repair,then order parts that should have been previously beentroubleshot and ordered.

Not Hpyyy with c/w!
Ray Stooksbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:11 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We were just checking prices for slide lube, generator tune up, + some minor repairs and camping world was 20% less than another RV maintenance place so maybe that's why they are so busy!
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a local diesel shop up the road from me here that also specializes in MH's. I've had everything from full services, water leaks and pump repairs to must recently a step motor replaced. Coach has never been there longer than 4 days (water leak fixed).

Great service, awesome prices!

Hope to never see the inside of a CW service dept.
RobRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #9

Camping World

They should change their logo to CYW = Can You Wait.
aandbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #10

I learned 11 years ago, just before I bought my first RV, that CW was to be avoided. Mainly by lurking at this web site and at RV.net. Both because of the awful service and because of the poor quality of many of the things they sell in the retail section. Well, sometimes they're the only game around for RV parts so I've bought a thing or two there but have never had to use them for service because there always seems to be a diesel truck shop nearby wherever I am that'll work on RVs. So, I'd advise that the OP check for a truck shop nearby instead of going to CW.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
My experience is if you need it done within a week or two, so it yourself. This is not just a CW problem, but a problem that is industry wide. I rarely hear of anyone who was able to make an appointment anywhere, drop it off at the appointment time, and be able to pick it up same day. I find it amazing Freightliner can service my chassis same day with an appointment, yet your fresh water pump stops working, you can make an appointment, drop it off in the morning, you have to pray you will see it back within a month. I started doing my own repairs, rarely do I drop it off unless it is a repair I cannot do.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlori View Post
I've had our motorhome in to Camping World on a few occasions for service, and it seems like they are always swamped. Normally, when making a service appt. they are always 2-4 weeks out before you can bring your coach in. Then, once in, it take 2-3 weeks to get the work done! Just checking to see if this is normal? Has anyone else had this experience or are they faster than that and its just me?
brianlori
I have not allowed a Camping World shop to attempt any work on a RV of mine for over 20 years.... therefore for 20 years I've never waited weeks, did not overpay and did not get any sloppy/unsatisfactory work done.
Mel
'96 Safari, 134k milws
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:00 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Camping world worked on my RV 4 times and screwed things up 4 times. Mine now goes to local dealers.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24g Sprinter View Post
We were just checking prices for slide lube, generator tune up, + some minor repairs and camping world was 20% less than another RV maintenance place so maybe that's why they are so busy!

After complaints we had with our local cw, they performed a free lube and genny tune up.
Lube was never done as evidenced by crud still on the zerk fittings. Genny tune up never done even though they tried to charge me for a new oil filter stating parts aren't included, which our onan 4000 doesn't even have a filter. Tried to convince me I needed a new genny since it was nearing it's end of it's life with 900 hours, only had 90 hours. Good luck.
phnguyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, service