Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2015, 01:22 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
We agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV Bum View Post
Eddieek, I wish I had your ability to work on my MH as you do, but I don't and along with that I don't have the time. Maybe the RV companys are saying to me , if you can't do major repaires on RV don't buy one. Just don't think that is what they want!!i love working on my MH , maintence , small repairs and etc. I don't have all the tools one needs to do all the repairs. My post above was talking about how Camping World should step up and address their service Depts proublems . I think the original poster should expect to be treated in a honest manner at Camping world service Dept. Some of us need someone to do some repairs . One other point, if you do some major repairs on your NEW MH the warrant is in question. Camping World is big enought Co. To set a new way MH sales com. do in their service dept. I believe Camping world could benefit greatly from this move.
We agree-we expected to be treated honestly. Camping World has a long way to go to ever regain our trust. Thank you for understanding!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2015, 01:27 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
They mis-dignosed would be my guess.. the odds of the nozzle failing are very low It is one piece of brass with a hole in it, NO MOVING PARTS other than the gas.. So failure of this part is nearly impossible.. What is Possible is for the nozzle to be clogged by an insect nest or other stuff.

As for the cooling unit.. Those can fail but usually when they do it's obvious.. and the odds of a new one not working are likewise very very very low. Not impossible.. but very very very low.
Thanks for the great information. We will ask for all of the replaced parts and will ask why the nozzle needed to be replaced. If the answer is unsatisfactory, we will ask for a refund for that part and labor.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:27 AM   #45

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do as much as I possibly can, but when an ISX needs a top end rebuild and internal cleaning I leave that to the shop!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:51 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
camping world and norcold

I have ordered some items from CW and things went well..........never had service work there, don't think I will......seems many rv related service centers are worthless................had my 2007 knight at a dealer in the Newark ohio area for satellite reprograming, along with a couple of other things............after two weeks, they got the satellite to partially work then threw up their hands......never did fix the other things...........and when they fixed my turn signals (which was another reason I took it in), they blew out one of my brake lights...........they are waiting to collect their $400.........I think they will be waiting a long time..........best to find an independent you can trust for all rv related work..................
Old 10-01-2015, 06:06 AM   #47

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
"professionals" and CW are not the same
Old 10-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Update update update

Hello fellow RVers!
We wanted to give you an update on our refrigerator repair issues with Camping World and Norcold. Since we wrote our original post, we have been trying everything we could think of to solve this issue-we wrote and called Camping World this past Saturday and was told to call today (10/5) which we did. The person took our complaint and said someone would be calling us within 24 hours. In the meantime, we decided to call Newmar to see if they could help us with getting the specs of the cooling unit installation. Well Brandon at Newmar went WAY above and beyond what we expected. He suggested that he call both Camping World and Norcold and include us in on the conference call-it took him about 30-35 minutes to get Norcold and then another 10-15 minutes to get Camping World on. When everyone was on the line, my husband was able to describe our issues and from then on, the sparks flew! The gentleman from CW was very agitated, stating that the cooling units from Norcold have not worked in 3 RVs including ours and he wanted to know why Norcold was sending out bad parts. The fellow from Norcold stated that when they received the part back from CW they tested and they worked fine. He also was surprised that the second part did not work because he had heard nothing from CW. Also the Norcold rep said that he had requested a form to be filled out and pictures sent so that he would be able to see what was being done. The gentleman from CW was not the person that had been dealing with our coach so he was not sure if any if that had been done. SO as it stands, the formal request for the information from CW has been emailed and the tech should be sending the info to Norcold tomorrow. Without the help of Brandon from Newmar, none of this would have taken place. If we ever but a new coach, it will be from Newmar-their customer service has been wonderful!
Old 10-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #49

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does Marcus own/use an RV? This may be one of the reasons why Camping World is experiencing such negative reviews. You have to own/use one of these "beasts" and have issues that need fixing before being the big cheese of a company that supposedly is in the business of RV repair.

Bronk
Old 10-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Camping world is part of the Affinity group that owns Good Sam and controls RVNet. com. and I think KOA but not sure. I joined all and have been shafted one way or another, over the years, by each entity. I do not so business with any of them. Just my choice. Bigger is not better.
Rich
Old 10-05-2015, 08:31 PM   #51

Thor Owners Club
Camping World

I tried to contact CW corporate by letter, never received a response. Good Luck
Old 10-05-2015, 08:37 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a breakdown on Labor Day weekend on a CW-sold Thor ACE. Good Sam, which I got free with purchase of RV, told me they couldn't do anything because it was a holiday weekend.

I didn't know you were only supposed to use RV's during the work week during working hours. Is that in the small print?
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:03 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Eddie, unfortunately, not everyone is as capable as you. And even for those that are capable, doing stuff like dropping a large fuel tank is often beyond space and tool capacities.

I too am offended by the $125/hr charge, especially when someone is being paid $20/hr of that. And car dealers aren't any better -they charge that hourly rate, but base it off book time, so often it takes significantly less time than what you were charged for.

Finding a good independent person is probably the best solution, but finding one that can work on all RVs systems and has a shop big enough for tough problems, at a rate of less than $125/hr.. well, that's going to be harder.
As a former heavy truck mechanic who held 4 ASE certifications in truck repairs...if you can find a mechanic that can consistently beat the book time with few or no comebacks, that's the mechanic you want to use. He's the one with the knack, training, and tools to do the job right. When I worked in the shop at one of the major truck stops, we were paid on a percentage of the labor, not hourly. And if you had a warranty repair claim against you, you lost whatever part of the money you earned that it took to fix your mistake. So, I don't fault a mechanic that can beat the flat rate manual, because I take it as a measure of his skills.

P.S.: That's a cool bike. You still have one?
BigDBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by unw1red View Post
I had a breakdown on Labor Day weekend on a CW-sold Thor ACE. Good Sam, which I got free with purchase of RV, told me they couldn't do anything because it was a holiday weekend.

I didn't know you were only supposed to use RV's during the work week during working hours. Is that in the small print?
LOL. Same here, only New Years weekend this year while in Death Valley. I didn't buy the coach from CW, I just bought the Good Sam package. The coach quit building air on Friday, they wouldn't dispatch anyone until Tuesday. And then they only paid for one way of the mileage. That's it. I got to pay for his return mileage and the time he was on scene. The only up side was that I had plenty of time to diagnose the problem and tell the mechanic what he needed to bring with him in the way of parts. No parts runs for him on my dime!
Let's just say I'm underwhelmed with Good Sam road "service".
BigDBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:38 PM   #55

I had a problem with the hot water heater in our old TT just after we purchased it used. The gas wouldn't stay lit. I took to Camping World. They said the heaterwas "bad" and required replacing. I scolded the "bad" water heater severely but it still did not straighten up. I did an internet search on the problem, and I kid you not, when I typed in the symptoms, some guy responded to my post, said to mark the "sleeve" on the burner unit as to position, remove the sleeve, reach up into the tube with a "Q" tip or some such and remove the spider nest, reinstall and it would work . . . ! I, with some skepticism I might add, did as he suggested, and a nice white whispy cotton candy type of "silk" came out, I reassembled it, and it worked perfect! So much for their $700.00 new heater plus install!

Then had a problem with the refrigerator, CW once again again said it was "bad" and required replacing. I checked the internet, troubleshot the problem (not cooling on electric), and tried to find an electric heating element . . .no luck locally, was leaving for a trip in two days, no time to get one off line, called CW in Knoxville, TN on the way, they didn't have one. Tried the next CW on our route in Chattanooga, TN, they had one, I said put my name on it and I would pick it up in 3 days! Three days later, stopped by and picked it up. They asked me how I knew it was bad. I told them, unplug the two wires on the terminal board, check the resistance with an ohm meter, which as I recall should have been 42 ohms plus or minus 10%, mine read a dead open which is a blown heating element. They said OH! They then asked me if I was going to have them install it. Just for kicks I asked them how much. They quoted three hours as they would have to remove the fridge, into the inside of the trailer to get to the heating element. I thanked them, and two days later when I had time (running on propane up to this point), I opened the panel, unplugged and removed the old heating element, installed the new, and tested. It took about 20 to 30 minutes, some of which was the time it took waiting to ensure that the element was heating up. Didn't have to remove the fridge or anything. Just saying!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:01 AM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
I have ordered some items from CW and things went well..........never had service work there, don't think I will......seems many rv related service centers are worthless................had my 2007 knight at a dealer in the Newark ohio area for satellite reprograming, along with a couple of other things............after two weeks, they got the satellite to partially work then threw up their hands......never did fix the other things...........and when they fixed my turn signals (which was another reason I took it in), they blew out one of my brake lights...........they are waiting to collect their $400.........I think they will be waiting a long time..........best to find an independent you can trust for all rv related work..................
What dealer did you go to in the area?

Tags
camping, norcold