Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
if it's less than 2 years old do a search for your state's lemon laws - they work ! (at least they have 3 times for me )
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2015, 07:06 AM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
FYI - visiting Dixie RV in Hammond, LA last month, I was told by the salesman they will cease their relationship with Camping World when the terms of the agreement are finished. Maybe a rumor??
MrBelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #73

I did research the Lemon laws in my state. Seems they only cover the frame which has been perfect. Plus a lot of the problems have been to CW's incompetency, not manufacturer defect.
kabado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:25 AM   #74

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
just call me Steve-
What happened to Bubba??
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I still find it amazing that I can drive by 2 of these places that are 50 miles apart and they are packed with RVs. I have said before that Camping World is for RV's like Pep Boys is for automobiles, stay clear.
Well, when they take two plus months to do a repair that SHOULD take less than a week, it's no WONDER their lots are absolutely FULL of customer's RV's that are awaiting repair!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #76

Marcus Lemonis is now the CEO of Affinity Group, which owns Camping World, Good Sam and many other subsidiaries including credit and service companies. Stephen Adams is the owner of Affinity Group. You can see the latest (and probably last) filing with the SEC here:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/da...203215zs-4.htm

This year, Affinity consolidated $330 million in debt, which is due in 2016. They sold their enormous offices in California, downsized (layoffs) and moved their operations to Kentucky and Englewood, Colorado (Management). They are now a Delaware corporation, which affords them the most control, least oversight, and best outcome when they declare bankruptcy. That's right, I said when, not if. In 2010, they had revenue of $470 million, and lost $40 million. That's a 10% loss, which is not sustainable.

The CEO of Camping World left. The employees hate the company. You can read some reviews on Glass Ceiling here:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Af...iews-E8907.htm

Because Affinity is now held by less than 30 individual stockholders, they are not required to provide financial reports to the public. This means that when they fail, it will happen without notice. Those vendors that are owed money will not be paid. Those who put a deposit on a new RV will be out of luck. Anyone with an outstanding special order will not get it. Good luck if your RV is in service when the doors close.

But don't worry, Marcus will be fine. I'm sure he has a golden parachute, and he'll just move on to destroy a different company, because that's what CEOs who fail seem to do. My guess is that Mr. Adams needs a write-off, so he is fine with the company running a huge loss. He's also 77 years old, so he won't be around for much longer. Here is his Wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Adams_(business)

Welcome to a world run by corporations (which are now "people" thanks to Citizens United), un-regulated (Glass-Steigel has been repealed) and free to rape and pillage. As a consumer, you have only one choice: what do I buy, and where do I buy it? The answer for RV owners is becoming extremely limited, with large corporate ownership of the vast majority of RV dealers, service centers, parts stores, campgrounds, road service and insurance.

My response is to spread my risk between companies, never leave my coach at Camping World (or bring it there, for that matter), buy from as many independent vendors as I can, and learn to do as many repairs and as much maintenance myself as I possibly can. It's impossible to avoid doing business with at least a few large corporations if you own an RV, but you can still minimize your exposure, and vote with your wallet.
PDXDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:12 AM   #77

X2

We have had terrible experiences at CW. Bad work, way over priced, etc. We avoid them like the plague. As far as your frig goes, we found replacing ours with a Samsung french door residential frig cost about the same as replacing the cooling unit on the notsocold and 18 cu ft vs. 12 and no more propane bomb. It was a no brainier for us and we love the new frig.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:17 AM   #78

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
In a fit of boredom, I glanced thru the SEC filing, and the following jumped out at me. I'm not an MBA, but I come away with an understanding of the Affinity conglomerate and their marketing strategy. The following was copied directly from the filing.

As filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on April 4, 2011

AFFINITY GROUP, LLC

TABLE OF ADDITIONAL REGISTRANTS

Affinity Brokerage, LLC
Affinity Guest Services, LLC
Affinity Road and Travel Club, Inc.
AGI Productions, LLC
Camp Coast to Coast, LLC
Camping World Card Services, Inc.
Camping World, Inc.
Camping World Insurance Services of Kentucky, Inc.
Camping World Insurance Services of Nevada, Inc.
Camping World Insurance Services of Texas, Inc.
Coast Marketing Group, LLC
CWI, Inc.
CW Michigan, Inc.
Ehlert Publishing Group, LLC
Golf Card International, LLC
Golf Card Resort Services, LLC
GSS Enterprises, LLC
Outdoor Buys, Inc.
Power Sports Media, LLC
TL Enterprises, LLC
VBI, LLC

We are a leading direct marketer, specialty retailer and publisher targeting North American recreational vehicle ("RV") owners and outdoor enthusiasts. Our core audience is the estimated 30 million RV enthusiasts in North America and the approximately eight million households in North America that own at least one RV. Our unique business model is based on "affinity marketing," in which our membership club members and retail customers form a receptive audience to which we sell products, services, merchandise and publications targeted to their specific recreational interests.

We operate through three complementary business segments

1•Membership Services:

1a•Membership Clubs: Our membership clubs represent approximately 9% of revenues. We operate four primary membership clubs totaling over 1.7 million club members, including the two largest clubs in the RV market—Good Sam Club and President's Club.

1b •Ventures: Our ventures represent approximately 22% of revenues... including (i) emergency road services, (ii) property and casualty insurance programs, (iii) mechanical breakdown insurance through our extended service plans ("ESP"), (iv) vehicle financing, (v) credit cards and (vi) emergency assistance.

2•Retail: Our retail segment, Camping World, represents approximately 57% of revenues. With a nationwide footprint of 79 Camping World retail and service stores in 32 states...

3•Media: Our media segment represents approximately 12% of revenues. We publish and distribute 27 specialty publications ... over 50 websites... 30 consumer outdoor recreation shows at 22 venues in 18 cities...

Approximately 71% of our operating income, net of non-recurring, non-cash charges, is generated through our non-retail based businesses...

Our 1.7 million club members and the approximately nine million consumers in our proprietary database serve as a unique, receptive audience for direct marketing...

Our disciplined cost saving initiatives have included work force, payroll and employee benefit reductions...

Since 2003, Mr. Lemonis has also served as Chief Executive Officer and President of FreedomRoads. FreedomRoads operates RV dealerships across the United States and is controlled by Mr. Adams. From 2001 to January 2003, Mr. Lemonis served as President, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board of Directors of Holiday RV Superstores, Inc. Holiday RV Superstores, Inc. filed for bankruptcy on October 18, 2003.

Mr. Lemonis was, before the joint venture agreement was implemented, and currently is, President and Chief Executive Officer of FreedomRoads and receives his primary compensation from FreedomRoads, except for $100,000 in annual salary paid by Camping World. Accordingly, Mr. Lemonis is not included in the Summary Compensation Table below or the following discussion.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:38 AM   #79

One sentence in that filing tells everything one needs to know about why people are so unhappy with CW.

Our disciplined cost saving initiatives have included work force, payroll and employee benefit reductions...

Good service people are hard enough to find. If they are overworked, paid less, and have no benefits they will seek and find employment elsewhere. The customer service will decline as well as the quality of work. The rumor that many employees left Tom Johnsons after CW took over is one good example of this.

As for me, I do not see an occasion where my rig will be at CW until their corporate policy changes.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:04 AM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It speaks a lot when one's targeted clientele (the RV owner) has a large segment who will avoid them like the plague.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #81

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: I can think of at least two mistakes that were made here. The first is in trying to maintain a Nevercold. The second is trying to have Camping World be involved in fixing something.

The solution (as I see it) would be to get away from both as quickly as possible and have a residential refrigerator (RR) installed. It's the best thing we ever did for our coach--and our Nevercold 1200 was working as well as they ever do. Now we don't have to worry about returning to a pile of cinders because of a fire in the refrigerator. And the RR works just like the refrigerator at home, lots of room and always the same temperature.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:10 AM   #82

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
It speaks a lot when one's targeted clientele (the RV owner) has a large segment who will avoid them like the plague.

And this large segment represents the "informed" segment.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
I have had a similar, but not so expensive experience with Camping World. I would never use them again. I have no idea how they stay in business.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:41 PM   #84

Entegra Owners Club
It always gets me that Marcus is on TV telling everybody how to fix their broken business models, but he doesn't fix the many problems at his own business. I guess profits are good despite the poor reviews from customers.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, norcold