Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2015, 05:51 PM   #85

I spent a year lurking on RV forums before I bought my first RV and learned quite a bit about things that can go wrong. One thing I did discover early on is that Camping World isn't to be trusted with repairs. Even 13 years ago.

Some of the stories of their bad workmanship were laughable to someone it hadn't happened too. And the excuses and re-do work were fascinatingly bad as well. One forum member I remember described taking his rig in for a simple broken mirror replacement under manufacturer's warranty. They repeatedly worked on the wrong things, and left them in worse shape than when the client brought them the rig. It just got worse and worse until the owner picked up his rig and got the hell out of there.

Knowing all that stuff after reading it here on this, and other, forums, it's remarkable to me that anyone would take their RV to CW. Ever.

I've never taken mine to them, and never will. Thanks to the members of this forum who warned me.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2015, 10:23 PM   #86

I just received (and shredded) one of the almost daily mailings I get from Camping World. As I turned to the back to remove the page with my address, I saw a large add for Marcos' TV show "The Profit". I didn't know he was into reality TV, but this really caught my eye. Here's the IMBD page link:

The Profit (TV Series 2013– ) - IMDb

Apparently, he tells people how to fix their failing businesses! Unbelievable. This just reinforces my own experience in corporate America, especially in high-tech, that those who fail are asked to return again and again to run companies, despite their own pour performance. It's nothing more than a club, and the members have each other's backs. Maybe somebody should write the producers and suggest he help fix Camping World?

Old 12-02-2015, 11:02 PM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDisco View Post
I just received (and shredded) one of the almost daily mailings I get from Camping World. As I turned to the back to remove the page with my address, I saw a large add for Marcos' TV show "The Profit". I didn't know he was into reality TV, but this really caught my eye. Here's the IMBD page link:

The Profit (TV Series 2013– ) - IMDb

Apparently, he tells people how to fix their failing businesses! Unbelievable. This just reinforces my own experience in corporate America, especially in high-tech, that those who fail are asked to return again and again to run companies, despite their own pour performance. It's nothing more than a club, and the members have each other's backs. Maybe somebody should write the producers and suggest he help fix Camping World?
It reminds me of the old saying: "Do as I say, not as I do!"

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:59 PM   #88

Lazy Days instead of CW

I got permission from Joyce (don't remember her last name, but supposedly high in Jayco customer service) to take our motor home to Lazydays instead of Camping World. We haven't yet cause CW still had parts on order but now we can switch and I am done with CW. Thank God. Our old rv was bought at World Wide Rv in Mesa which we should have stayed with but my hubby didn't relish the 100 mile drive for service. We got great service there however. Hope Lazydays will be comparable.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #89

FWIW many of us consider a Norcold or Dometic multi fuel as the far better choice than a residential for anything under 40 ft or so with enough batteries and clear roof space for solar panels. A lot of that depends on how much one boondocks.

FWIW2 My impression is that CW concentrates on folks who are in the low end of the market as in new purchasers or occasional users not the high end or full timers. Look at what the average dealer floor plans and you will see what I mean.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:02 AM   #90

Kinda what I'm thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW many of us consider a Norcold or Dometic multi fuel as the far better choice than a residential for anything under 40 ft or so with enough batteries and clear roof space for solar panels. A lot of that depends on how much one boondocks.

FWIW2 My impression is that CW concentrates on folks who are in the low end of the market as in new purchasers or occasional users not the high end or full timers. Look at what the average dealer floor plans and you will see what I mean.
My Norcold 1200 quit working, and assuming the worst, I started researching and shopping for a RR replacement. As luck would have it, we were up against a time line where there wouldn't be enough time to do the conversation. Instead, I did some searching on this board and came across the advice of looking at the little black box and resetting the dreaded "red light of death" with a magnet. It worked like a charm and the 1200 is working again. I'd still replace it, but our coach is 37' long and has limited solar generation capacity. It also only has room for 3 house batteries and is set up for 12v parrallel power, not 6v series, so there is limited reserves. I'm afraid I'd be opening another can of worms trying to keep a RR running without being plugged in or having the gen running. Anyone have more information?
Old 12-04-2015, 12:19 AM   #91

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Good observation and I agree.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:26 AM   #92

Quote:

I agree, besides, it would be difficult to keep full timers happy when they want to keep a coach for months on end before they even decide to look at the issues, or order parts!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:43 AM   #93

Two points:

1. Has CW expanded too fast to keep or acquire competent help?

2. I had a cooling unit failure a few years back. After a little online research I ordered an Amish unit. It arrived in a few day (not weeks or months) and I installed it the next day. The day after that, it failed. My complaint was received by a competent customer service, and a second unit was shipped out that day, arriving a couple days later. That unit was still working when I sold the RV (to a relative). I did not have to ship the first unit back (at their expense) until I was satisfied the second unit worked. I am a satisfied customer.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:46 AM   #94

Ken, the sentence below from their SEC filing tells one exactly what is going on with their workforce.

Our disciplined cost saving initiatives have included work force, payroll and employee benefit reductions...

It has nothing to do with the rate of expansion, it has everything to do with how they treat their employees.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:39 AM   #95

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
It has nothing to do with the rate of expansion, it has everything to do with how they treat their employees.
Which in turn relates to how the employees treat the customers. The same thing happens in every industry.

Poor attitude by employee equals poor treatment of customer, which creates upset customers who bitch at employees who's attitude then gets worse.

Anyone want to guess how this goes? Better or worse customer service?

2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, norcold