Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Camping World, Window Awning Estimate

Today I decided that we wanted to order and install manual window awnings, with weather guard, over our living room, dinette and bedroom windows. It gets hot in the summer here and these will help keep the coach cooler in the summer.

We have a local Camping World so after looking at the 2011 catalog I decided exactly what I wanted and made the trip out to Camping World. According to the catalog the three awnings we going to cost $800. The catalog also offered installation for $45 per window. Bottom line my thinking, according to what was stated in the catalog, was the job installed and out the door was going to be about $1,000.

We began the order, which consisted of a 72" a 60" and a 48" awning. The final price came out to $1,785.91 I was informed that since the coach didn't already have window awnings there was a lot more to do and that they couldn't install for $45 a window. They said the 3 window would take 4.5 hr of labor at $111 per hour. They also said that the channel that the awning slides into was not included and they were an additional $75 each. On top of this they told me that that the estimate also included $225 in shipping cost for the 3 awnings. I put the order on hold.

Now, my point here is not to bash Camping World, but just get the opinion of the folks here on the forum. Is this actually what I should expect to pay or is this a high estimate? I'm also now leaning toward doing the install myself. I'm pretty good with a wrench and looking at the sample in the showroom it looks like they are not all that difficult to install. Looks like the process would be to center and level the top rail. Level the side rails, use proper fasteners and use the proper sealants to make everything waterproof.

What am i missing?

Who would you order window awnings from?

Thanks for your opinions and advise!

Marc

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Here is an article from Motorhome magazine that I think is just what you are looking for!

RV Awning Replacement: Made in the Shade

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Marc, my experience with adding an awning is that the material (the awning) is one price item. All the hardware to put that awning up is billed out separately. It's been several years ago, so I don't remember the exact price and I don't have my coach maintenance book handy, that I added an awning on the passenger side slide to cover the windows on that slide and match the awning on the driver's side. The best I recall the price was between $500 - 600. Lately I've seen the cost quoted for a awning to go over just the bathroom window as between $200 & 300. The hardware costs almost the same as the awning material. The labor cost is whatever you can someone to do it for. If you're able you may wish to contact the awning company directly to purchase the awning (including necessary hardware) and get a friend to help you install it. We tend to think of the awnings as a unit. However, they are sold as separate pieces.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:33 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If you are thinking of the A&E brand awnings the rail for mounting it comes with the awning tube and fabric assembly; the hardware (arms on sides) does not. They are simple enough to install but the longer ones will require two people. Tip: install hardware to tube assembly and slide it into the mounted rail, then secure the hardware to the wall. Be sure to use butyl tape behind the rail and mounting plates.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:34 AM   #5

I had a single long awning installed over the two windows on my living room slide (10'?) at the Newmar factory. Total cost including labor was $6-700.
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredBob View Post
I had a single long awning installed over the two windows on my living room slide (10'?) at the Newmar factory. Total cost including labor was $6-700.
WOW !!!!
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #7

Don or Maxine,

Not sure what you are thinking, but $6-700 means between $600 and $700!
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think the job is simple enough to do it yourself if you have the right tools and patience. The labor prices at camping world and most rv dealerships are getting excessive. You may be able tofind someone who is an independent rv tech at a more reasonable price.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Here is an article from Motorhome magazine that I think is just what you are looking for!

RV Awning Replacement: Made in the Shade
Thanks Ronnie & Jan. This is what I need to do the install, which I will do myself since I do have the skills to handle the job. I just wasn't going to mess with it for what I thought was going to be a $135 labor cost. For $500 in labor I'll give up a half a day of being lazy and do it myself. Thinking about the install reminded me of an old saying when I worked in the glass business. "Measure twice cut once"!

Also the article validates Camping World's time and labor estimate. They were spot on on the hours of labor needed for the install!
Old 10-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought three A&E window awnings with metalguards for $80 each from Gamblers in Quartzsite. I installed them myself and it wasn't difficult.
A complete set of instructions was in each box. I did find using a 24 inch level to be helpful.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Marc, my experience with adding an awning is that the material (the awning) is one price item. All the hardware to put that awning up is billed out separately. It's been several years ago, so I don't remember the exact price and I don't have my coach maintenance book handy, that I added an awning on the passenger side slide to cover the windows on that slide and match the awning on the driver's side. The best I recall the price was between $500 - 600. Lately I've seen the cost quoted for a awning to go over just the bathroom window as between $200 & 300. The hardware costs almost the same as the awning material. The labor cost is whatever you can someone to do it for. If you're able you may wish to contact the awning company directly to purchase the awning (including necessary hardware) and get a friend to help you install it. We tend to think of the awnings as a unit. However, they are sold as separate pieces.
Thanks Jim & BJ, this help me understand that my thinking was incorrect. Now I know that the awning and hardware are priced separately. Thanks for clarifying!
Old 10-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
If you are thinking of the A&E brand awnings the rail for mounting it comes with the awning tube and fabric assembly; the hardware (arms on sides) does not. They are simple enough to install but the longer ones will require two people. Tip: install hardware to tube assembly and slide it into the mounted rail, then secure the hardware to the wall. Be sure to use butyl tape behind the rail and mounting plates.
Thanks Mike. I am looking at the Dometic Elite series so that I can match the patio awning. One question. What type of anchor should I use for the screws to hold the mounting rail and side rails?

Thanks,

Marc
Old 10-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredBob View Post
Thanks, helps me feel better about the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
I think the job is simple enough to do it yourself if you have the right tools and patience. The labor prices at camping world and most rv dealerships are getting excessive. You may be able tofind someone who is an independent rv tech at a more reasonable price.
Yes labor costs are getting high. $111 per hour is what they quoted. I'll do the install myself and then take the labor money I save and spend it on something else.

Marc
Old 10-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The online & catalog prices are very misleading, though. They make no effort at all to show the price of a complete awning, except to note that "Configuration" is necessary and may effect the price. Basically the stated price is for a replacement of an existing awning rather than a new, add-on, one.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, camping, window