Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
What is IFS?
Did mean to say "independent front suspension"?

If so my DP doesn't have it.
BTW, it doesn't have air suspension, or air brakes or an anti-lock braking system (ABS), either.

'96 Safari
So, what chassis does your DP have?

2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2015, 11:09 AM   #16
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
So, what chassis does your DP have?
My chassis is a "Magnum Blue Streak" by Magnum Manufacturing... a division of SMC, (Safari Motor Coaches).
'96 Safari Sahara 3530

mel s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #17

Originally Posted by Quincybear View Post
I don't understand the mechanics of why a diesel pusher rides so smooth other than it has air suspension. Why is that unique to diesels and can a gas rv be improved somehow to ride more like a diesel with a "cushier" air like ride? Appreciate any suggestions or explination from our experts out there. Happy 4th
most don't... and most weight 20k pluss pounds.... that why they go up the hill so slow .. unless over 1000 ft lbs torque..
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Firestone makes add on air spring kits for gas coaches. Installed it makes a world of difference in ride and handling. On my first coach, 1995 class C Winnebago Minnie Winnie on a Ford E350, I installed them on all 4 corners. That coach was awesome to ride in and drive. It had no body sway. I didn't even flich when trucks passed me an vs virsa. Was well worth the money. Depending on how elaborate of a system you install the cost is $600 to $1300.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:47 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"RIDE QUALITY" is based on "unsprung" weight = what is below the springs - and the type of springs.
The best current tech for a good ride is air bags and independent suspension.

Unlike some posts here have stated, I submit that high weight is actually the enemy of soft ride vehicles. But it's a RV, so what are you gonna do?

Diesel Pushers most often have air bags...and some (not many) even have independent FRONT suspension. The rear is never independent in most RV's.

Gas RV's are more like big pick-ups with steel springs on all 4 corners. That costs less and take MUCH less care.

So, to make a gas RV ride like a DP, the owner needs to consider getting air ride. It is not cheap, but is available in the aftermarket.

Having said all that, our Workhorse W24 rides extremely well. It rides even better when the RV is loaded as to exercise the springs at their rated capacity.

Will we get air bags? Right now we are seriously considering it. Not because the RV rides too rough, but because the roads seem to be getting worse and worse every year.
Anyone actually install a Kelderman System?

The next generation of quality ride will come from reactive hydraulic suspensions...where a computer will scan the roadway and adjust hydraulic struts to provide a perfect and level ride. These will come to premium RV's first...guess which RV's (gas or Diesel) does that mean

Safe travels

P.S. Brakes, ABS, and steering systems add to driveability, but that's different from ride quality IMHO. ABS is common on most all modern RV's and steering aids (Safe-T-Plus and similar) are a good idea for any RV. We have both on our gasser.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #20
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My gas MH had a good ride, with a few upgrades it rides and steers exceptionally well. Nobody will agree on what's best, but for me, I'm happy.
Ford RV V10 5 star Tow tune
Front/Read Roadmaster 1 3/4" anti-sway bars. Roadmaster steering stabilizer
2009 Acme Tow dolly w/ 2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:54 PM   #21
Thank you. what upgrades gave you the best bang for the buck and if you don't mind, how much were those upgrades. thank you
Quincybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #22
Talking Can a gasser ride more like a diesel?

We have a Tiffin Allegro 36LA gasser and sure it rides more like a truck than a bus but it has a truck chassis not a bus chassis sooooo...We put on Summo Springs and lowered the tire pressure to 90psi. Dealers will put in 100psi. I don't think it is necessary. It made a big difference in the ride and handling. Also the LA has a 24000lb chassis which has a slightly longer wheelbase and that helps handling. Put a Roadmaster Safety Steer on and that made a big difference with road wander. No it is not a Newell tag axle but it works for us.
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #23
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like HGC said, I also run my tires @ 90 PSI, Safety steer works wonders for running down the road. As for me, the sway bars stopped the rv for being pushed around by semis and wind. As for bang for the bucks, I did all three together so I couldn't state which made the best improvement. I was sick of having to be 100% concentrated on my surrounding while driving. Now it's like driving a big car versus a sailboat.

Ford RV V10 5 star Tow tune
Front/Read Roadmaster 1 3/4" anti-sway bars. Roadmaster steering stabilizer
2009 Acme Tow dolly w/ 2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, gas