Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #1

Can anyone identify this valve?

Does anyone know what this valve does? IT is leaking and having a hard time sourcing one. I'm not even sure what it controls, but air tank loses air fast. I have talked with Spartan and Holiday Rambler with no luck. 1996 HR navigator. It's location is ion the top of the 12v power bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	131769  
pistonring is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2016, 09:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonring View Post
Does anyone know what this valve does? IT is leaking and having a hard time sourcing one. I'm not even sure what it controls, but air tank loses air fast. I have talked with Spartan and Holiday Rambler with no luck. 1996 HR navigator. It's location is ion the top of the 12v power bay.
I'm sure you found the uk site that just listed the 24volt version (i assume), calling it a Genesis Valve.

You might give ARO a call.

Pneumatic Valves
Old 07-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I did a search under ARO and came up with a couple of companies that sell ARO products, which looks like it might now be part of Ingersol Rand. The Genesis looks like an old version. I'm guessing it operates your air leveling from the description of the websites.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:00 PM   #4

ARO is a manufacture of both Air Valves and Hydraulic Valves and the drawing on the valve is a flow chart for when the valve is in one position and than shifted to another position...

Call industrial Air/Hydraulic suppliers in your area and give them the model/part # or go the ARO web site and see if its available... I'm betting that since its manufactured for RV's the Air/Hydraulic commercial guy won't have it on the shelf but will have the ability to order the valve through their normal supply chain if it's still manufactured...

If its not manufactured any of the commercial guys can put together this valve from commercial valve parts... might not look the same but will have the same action/function.... Hope this helps...
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:43 PM   #5

I visited the local ARO dealer today, nice folks but ARO got bought by ingersal rand and they don't make it or a replacement anymore. They can't even tell me how many position valve it is. Going to do some digging this weekend and figure out what it controls. Thank you for the help. I'll report back what I find.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:35 AM   #6

Quote:
I visited the local ARO dealer today, nice folks but ARO got bought by ingersal rand and they don't make it or a replacement anymore. They can't even tell me how many position valve it is. Going to do some digging this weekend and figure out what it controls. Thank you for the help. I'll report back what I find.
If they can't tell you exactly what it does by looking at the valve label, they shouldn't be in the business.

If it is leaking out of one of the ports, then it is quite likely that the valve is perfectly OK and it is that the actuator it controls has a leaking piston seal.

Air pressure in at port 1 Ports 3 and 4 are open to atmosphere
Ports 2 and 4 are connected to an air cylinder.

Valve coil deenergised air pressure to one end of cyclinder and the other end open to atmosphere.
Energise coil and air pressure goes to other end of cylinder (or rotary actuator or whatever) and the piston moves the other way. Deenergise coil and piston reverts to original position.

If air is leaking out of either ports 3 or 4 then it is almost sure to be the actuator. That can be confirmed by disconnecting the line on port 4

Probably!!!

Could it be connected with airbag dump?

Errr No!

Exhaust brake? Possibly

Step cover??? Switch above your head?? No, motor driven

Is this your operator's manual http://holidayrambler.com/partsandse..._Navigator.pdf
Old 07-02-2016, 04:29 AM   #7

Installation, parts, service manuals here, just input the model number.

http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/literature/

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 07-02-2016, 05:58 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
A lot of pneumatic valves use O-rings in them for seals. A good shop should be able to rebuild it. I'm thinking that due to the age the O-rings have gotten hard.
I'd tackle it. Just make sure you work in a clean area and take your time.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:38 PM   #9

Would be interesting to know just what this valve controls before ripping it apart without investigating and doing some basic fault finding. Just need a spanner to verify where the fault lies.

BTW in my post -
Quote:
If air is leaking out of either ports 3 or 4 then it is almost sure to be the actuator
should have been
Quote:
If air is leaking out of either ports 3 or 5 then it is almost sure to be the actuator
Old 07-02-2016, 04:58 PM   #10

Did your googling find this ARO Genesis Series Valves Parts List / Service Instructions?

Lots of information about the valve.

Doesn't say what it is used for in your application of course.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #11

The diagram on the valve and the relative size looks a lot like the dump valve I replaced on my Freightliner chassis 2 months ago, different manufacturer though, forget the name. On mine it has 2 wires that go to the top. It controls air bag inflation and deflation from leveling control panel. Have someone go inside the coach and push the dump or inflate buttons and see if the valve makes sounds or clicks. Obviously air it up and have key on, preferably engine running if safe to do so and don't be underneath the coach. Mine was leaking out of the air discharge port. I was successful in taking it apart and cleaning mine, it worked for a couple months but started leaking again. I replaced it. Freightliner wanted around $600 and 3 weeks for the valve. I called the manufacturer direct and got the valve for $230 and they shipped it immediately. Wish I could remember the name, great people. If anybody is interested I could be talked into walking outside and looking in my file for the company name.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #12

Found it. Company name is Norgren. If unsuccessful with the manufacturer of your valve or cleaning, these folks will have a valve with that diagram. Just have to measure input output ports, 12v or 24v etc. etc. They have great customer service I was impressed. They didn't make my part number valve anymore and they found me a direct replacement, same ports, same electrical connections. They have a website with thousands of valves to look at. Calling them would be faster. My valve only had 3 ports 1 supply air, 1 to pilot valve and 1 vent. Yours looks to have 1 extra port. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:02 AM   #13

Thank you for all the input. I took the valve apart hoping there were prongs I could replace, no luck all the seals are bonded with two of them damaged. I finally figured out what it controls, the step cover. Why it has 5 ports I don't know but only needs 3. Sourcing a replacement will be easy now. Glad I was near home when it failed I still can't believe how much air I lost. Thank you so much for all the input. I'll post a picture and info when I get it repaired.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Thank you for all the input. I took the valve apart hoping there were prongs I could replace, no luck all the seals are bonded with two of them damaged. I finally figured out what it controls, the step cover. Why it has 5 ports I don't know but only needs 3. Sourcing a replacement will be easy now. Glad I was near home when it failed I still can't believe how much air I lost. Thank you so much for all the input. I'll post a picture and info when I get it repaired.
Needs 5 ports because the air being exhausted from each side of the cylinder as it moves back and forth has to go through the other two ports to atmosphere. But depends on the rest of the circuit.