Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #15
iRV2 No Limits Club
We started with a 17' Type B MH in 1988 after getting out of TT's. Went everyplace with it, even used it as my daily driver for a while. Traded it for a new 26' '96 Type C in '96. Went to Yellowstone and parked in Fishing bridge, did tow a dolly and '95 Odyssey. Traded it in in '98 on a new '98 35' gas unit. Pretty much could go anywhere with it too. Went to a 38' DSDP in 2000, had to start watching the site sizes more. Went to 40 DSDP in 2002, found there were far fewer sites to pick from in state parks. Made the mistake of going through the tenting area with it towing the '05 Odyssey on a dolly and got stuck. With the present 45' unit I'm not even going to be able to park on that state campground at all, not even in their "big rig" area.
So yes, a bigger rig does limit you more.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 05:28 AM   #16
Thanks for the responses. I'm hoping to find a shorter unit with a bigger feel when at the Hershey show, and with decent cargo carrying capacity.

2016 Entegra Cornerstone 45A
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
PJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:14 AM   #17
We had a 38' ftifth and a mdt truck with tons of storage(Stalick Conversion). We travel 6 months a year and had empty cabinets in the trailer. For medical reasons and age we switched to a 36' MH but still travel 6 months a year. We thought we would have to cut back what we carry, we did cut back very much and still have some empty cabinets inside and 2 mostly empty cabinets outside. We were pleasantly surprised.

We found that we were constrained with our truck/trailer combo. Many NP and SP we were too big for and in the east a lot of CG's could not fit us.

We ended up buying a 2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y, met all our requirements, modified it quite a bit to get it to our standards(recliners being a biggy, cable for our sat(they only run 1, we needed 2) and built in vacuum. As we go down the road we do other things, mostly minor.

Our requirements in the MH was the ability to lock up the cats, access to the refrig and bathroom. This met our needs and we are happy with it.
Sue and Tom

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:39 PM   #18
One thing to consider is that a 40 foot TT or 5er is likely to seem bigger inside than a 40 foot motorhome, either class A or class C. There is much more space that is dedicated to the self mobile portion of the item than some may notice at first glance.

Because of this, going a bit smaller, or even staying the same lenght, my easily seem to going much smaller.

This has been my experience, and I am only at 36 feet in a class A. I was coming from a smaller class C (28 foot) so my situation is different than yours.

I will say, that I have already run into the situation where I no longer fit in a favorite campground that we used to frequent. And you are talking much bigger than mine.

Another consideration is that your on the road lenght may not vary much between your truck and 5er now, and a 40 foot class A with a toad. You have a big truck, and may wind up with a significantly shorter toad.

However, you can drop a toad at the parking lot, and then maneuver the 40 foot (or 45 foot) class A, and be shorter that your 5er and truck. (But you loose the hinge 25 feet from the front.)

Good luck. It strikes me you have a pleasant dilemma, compared to many...
Karl I. Sagal KarlSagal@Gmail.com
Well done is better than well said. (Ben Franklin)
1988 Fleetwood Southwind, 34'
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:50 PM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
Dont know if it has been mentioned but a tag axle coach may have a shorter wheelbase than a 40 foot coach.

The tag on a tag axle coach can be dumped making the effective wheelbase from the steering axle to the drive axle. Our coach has a 279" wheelbase with the tag dumped. Add that to a 60 degree steering cut and the unit can fit in some quite tight spots.

Check and compare the wheelbases of the units you are interested in.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:15 PM   #20
Never had a problem with my 45 I wish they made a 55.
jerryhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #21
We have a 42 ft DP with 4 slides and have not found a camp ground that we cannot get into. We mostly use it as a base cam and tow a Chevy HHR to travel around in.
2008 Thor, Four Winds Mandalay 40G. Cummins 400 isl. Freightliner chassis
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #22
Tiffin Owners Club
We upgraded from a 40 foot Phaeton in May. We never had a problem getting into a campground with the Phaeton that was not already full. However, we have already had a couple campgrounds the we couldn't go to because they we already out of pads that would accommodate a 45 footer. We are still very happy with our selection since we are not really state and national parkers, but we now know that early reservations are important for 45 feet. Like Gordon already mentioned, we find it much easier folding the 45 into the tighter spots due to the wheel cut, but that is when we are given the option of trying the available "longer" pads.
Dewey & Sharon
Southern Maryland suburbs of DC
2015 Tiffin Allegro Bus 45LP
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #23
One advantage with a coach is you can unhook, jump in the toad and have a look. Before you are committed.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
2012 Nu Wa 363RSBDA
2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Duoglide1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #24
At 35 feet long, I don't have a problem getting into most sites, but it's the low hanging tree branches that thwart me in northern state parks and provincial parks. Don't these parks know that class A's are over 12 feet high? I hate scratching my rig.
2011 Itasca Meridian 34Y
2014 Honda CR-V
Algonquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:15 PM   #25
Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
My wife told me I could be right are I could be happy!! I went with happy😀😀😀
ferg182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #26
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442365179.356627.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	106992
doorfx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:27 AM   #27
Originally Posted by ferg182 View Post
My wife told me I could be right are I could be happy!! I went with happy😀😀😀

You chose wisely! We are at the Hershey RV show, so we will see how small of a unit we will truly feel comfortable full timing in.
2016 Entegra Cornerstone 45A
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
PJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:47 AM   #28
We like to camp as you apparently do (state, federal, coe parks), and there are compromises in store for you no matter what. Remember that a 5th wheel is much more maneuverable than a motorhome as Steve O pointed out. Also, a 5th wheel can be lowered in the front in order to level on a non-level site, while the coaches can only go up a bit, not down in front. But I would still consider a tag axle coach in the 40' or so range over a 5th wheel as I also prefer driving a nimble and easy to park toad, and being full timers, you'd need the space. Don't know about comments claiming a 5th wheel has more room--maybe volume due to high ceilings? Just keep in mind that a tag axle coach is not something to be jacking up in the air with wood blocks to level it in a non level tiny site--they are too heavy and wrenching the chassis may be problematic with slides (changing the geometry of the hole). Good luck, either way.

Frank W. '09 Cayman 38 SBD '08 CRV
Lake City, Florida
flynnwalter is offline   Reply With Quote