Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2015, 05:03 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnwalter View Post
PJL
Also, a 5th wheel can be lowered in the front in order to level on a non-level site, while the coaches can only go up a bit, not down in front.
Not exactly accurate. On my Phaeton, the entire coach lowered down to the frame prior to deploying the levelers. While the levelers still only pushed up, lowering to the frame first makes it that much easier to level. Using the Valid air leveling on my current Bus (basically, any coach with air leveling), I can lower where ever needs to be lowered to level. In fact, lowering is preferred over raising.

DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2015, 06:01 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Also, a 5th wheel can be lowered in the front in order to level on a non-level site, while the coaches can only go up a bit, not down in front.
Hummmmm! My coach seems to go down in the front when I dump the air out of the bags. And raise the rear jacks until the rear wheels are almost off the ground or one rear side is off the ground.

At any site that needs more then that to level. It's time to move to another one.
But in over 30 years of RVing, I haven't ran into that site yet, that I couldn't level good enough in.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:59 AM   #31

Dewat, Triker, et al
The OP mentioned the type of camping he does and its those types of campgrounds I find that often have sites made years ago and not very level side to side or worse, front to back. The amount of leveling possible on a large motorhome is relatively tiny as compared to a fifth wheel. I have a coach and don't want a fifth wheel, so there is no need to defend your choice of RV. The OP is wondering if he will lose his ability to camp at Fed, State and COE campgrounds and the answer is absolutely he will lose some. As far as lowering the front of a coach without lowering the rear, too, you are talking a tiny amount--a couple inches at best--whereas a fifth wheel could be a foot or even more. I do agree that lower is better on a coach.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:35 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
...We full time in a 40', tag axle DP and I really consider 40-42' to be the sweet spot in the maneuverability vs living space trade off....
I think Steve is pretty fair in his assessment. It really depends on how much stuff you feel the need to haul around. This can also be affected by other choices you make. We use to carry 2 German Shepherd Dogs and thus removed a dining table for 2 big crates. I would like to downsize to a 40' unit at times but in the Newmar line we intent to stay with they come with a tag axle in our prospective target years thus a combined, substantial loss of basement and above the floor storage.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:14 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Dewat, Triker, et al
The amount of leveling possible on a large motorhome is relatively tiny as compared to a fifth wheel. I have a coach and don't want a fifth wheel, so there is no need to defend your choice of RV.
No worries, it's not a matter of defending preference. It was only to correct an incorrect statement for those who may not know...

Quote:
PJL
coaches can only go up a bit, not down in front
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:36 PM   #34

Dewey
Thanks, you are correct. I should have typed that coaches cannot go down in the front the tiny bit dumping the air allows without going down in the rear as well. So if you must back into a site that is more than a few inches high at the front, big coaches are out of luck. Whereas a fifth wheel would probably level up by lowering the front jacks. Our first DP was under 30k pounds and had no slides--I continued to make ramps and pile up boards in order to level it on some tiny unleveled sites such as on the Blue Ridge Pkwy, just as I had my truck campers. It was foolish even with that weight and no slides. Now when I feel the urge to add "just a couple boards" in order to level up, I search for another site. Its a compromise.