Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2019, 06:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
Often when I'm level, I don't deploy the jacks to put the slides out. Did the same with a Newmar, Pace Arrow, Monaco and now a Winnebago. Never had an issue.
Thanks, that makes me feel better.
It's never too late to do the right thing!
larliebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #16
NXR

Check out SnapPads https://rvsnappad.com/

They're $110 or so for a set of four. No muss, no fuss and always there.

No need for people to chime in about building their own or using wood. Different people have different needs.

Ray
Old 06-09-2019, 07:10 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Level is level.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:53 PM   #18

I did the research on my coach when I first got it. The coach mfr says to have everything at "ride height" when moving the slides. The slide mfr says to level the coach and move the slides when it's level.

Using an RR10 chassis I have no leveling jacks to put out, only the airbags for ride and leveling. It makes more sense to me to move the slides out and back in when everything is level and therefore as square as it can get. So that's what I do. That's what I have done for the past 12 years. Nothing has ever scraped, been damaged, jammed, wedged, came in off kilter, or otherwise had a problem.

It's your rig, if it seems level enough, do it!
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Check out SnapPads https://rvsnappad.com/

They're $110 or so for a set of four. No muss, no fuss and always there.

No need for people to chime in about building their own or using wood. Different people have different needs.

Ray
I'm in the boonies, so don't have the option for this stop, but yes, will add it to my purchases. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
I did the research on my coach when I first got it. The coach mfr says to have everything at "ride height" when moving the slides. The slide mfr says to level the coach and move the slides when it's level.

Using an RR10 chassis I have no leveling jacks to put out, only the airbags for ride and leveling. It makes more sense to me to move the slides out and back in when everything is level and therefore as square as it can get. So that's what I do. That's what I have done for the past 12 years. Nothing has ever scraped, been damaged, jammed, wedged, came in off kilter, or otherwise had a problem.

It's your rig, if it seems level enough, do it!
Thanks
Old 06-09-2019, 08:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by larliebler View Post
The point I was making is that I cannot deploy the jacks.
Point taken. However, if your manufacturer recommends deploying the jacks prior to deploying the slides, that’s what you should do. Some are slides first, some are jacks first. This is where the owner’s manual comes in handy.

Next project is to find suitable pads to allow the jacks to be deployed on soft ground.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Point taken. However, if your manufacturer recommends deploying the jacks prior to deploying the slides, that’s what you should do. Some are slides first, some are jacks first. This is where the owner’s manual comes in handy.

Next project is to find suitable pads to allow the jacks to be deployed on soft ground.
Yes, I plan to buy better jack pads, just not an option for this site, so I have to do what works without damaging my coach.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:56 AM   #23

There seems to be a process for each Manuf to deploy the slide. I would look it up in the owners manual.
On my old coach, if I'm just staying the night and the site is pretty level I will leave it aired up, not deploy the jacks and deploy the slide. I can feel it rocking a bit as I walk side-to-side but it's manageable.
Read your manual so you don't hurt anything.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
There seems to be a process for each Manuf to deploy the slide. I would look it up in the owners manual.
On my old coach, if I'm just staying the night and the site is pretty level I will leave it aired up, not deploy the jacks and deploy the slide. I can feel it rocking a bit as I walk side-to-side but it's manageable.
Read your manual so you don't hurt anything.
I definitely should deploy Jack's per manual, I already knew that, but that's not an option, so that's why I was asking. It doesn't address my concern in the manual.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
This applies to coaches like mine where the slide trim fits into an outer frame for a (I believe the term is) "flat wall" slide. This may or may not strictly apply to your slides but the techniques should if you can tell that your slide is squarely set into the wall when it is retracted.

The first thing I would do is check the "slide reveal". That is to see if your outside slide wall is evenly set into the trim. You are looking to see those gaps are relatively even.

In that kind of situation you are in I have a couple techniques:

Sometimes if it is only an overnight stop I will park the RV and check the gaps of the reveal. If the gaps look relatively even then I will put out slides as needed. My only concern is if the bags bleed down that the geometry might change. To avoid that problem I will air up the bags first before bringing the slides in. BTW, this technique could be best if your wheels are not on level ground.

At other times where I might be in a spot for a but longer and/or I have a pretty level spot I'll dump the air bags, check the reveal and if all is good put the slides out. I prefer this because the coach is more stable then if up on the airbags. When I do this I make sure I retract the slides before airing the coach up. Of course, if the reveal isn't good after dumping the airbags I re-inflate and try the first method.
Exactly why most of us with hydraulic leveling use the manual method, leaving more weight on the tires
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #26

Quote:
I definitely should deploy Jack's per manual, I already knew that, but that's not an option, so that's why I was asking. It doesn't address my concern in the manual.
The manual does address your concern. Not following those instructions could cause damage to your coach. Someone on this forum saying that it is ok, doesn’t make it so.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #27

I say it's OK in this limited case, and that settles it. PERIOD
Old 06-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #28

Quote:
The point I was making is that I cannot deploy the jacks.
If its level why not put your Jack's down manually to the point of just touching to help stabilize for walking around? Nothing says you have to put full weight of the coach on the jacks
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, slide