Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2015, 07:41 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
One thing to look for on the Newmars, if on a Spartan chassis, it could have the dreaded ball joint boot rot. Not a game changer because you could make it part of the negotiation. When I had mine fixed in 2012 it was $2100. Can't replace just the boots, have to do the whole shootin' match.
what is the "dreaded ball joint boot rot" and is it a problem on all Spartan chassis?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 07:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
what is the "dreaded ball joint boot rot" and is it a problem on all Spartan chassis?

It was a problem on older Spartan chassis's(early 2000's). Spartan used inferior rubber boots on the ball joints. The rubber would crack and literally fall apart. The problem is you can't replace just the boots, the whole ball joint assembly has to be replaced. I went around & around with Spartan about it, they admitted they knew about it but didn't contact owners. Their excuse was they couldn't know which coach would have the problem. All they were trying to do was wait til the warranty period was up so they wouldn't be liable. About 4yrs. ago it cost me $2000 to have the work done.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:42 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
That would have been an 11 year old coach at the time. You expect them to warranty a part that long? Unrealistic.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:26 AM   #18

Something else to look for is air gaps under the slides when they are deployed. Some coaches are just poorly designed like that. Several Monoco products were that way back then.
Interesting about the window leaks. I remember getting a tour of the Monoco factory back then and was very surprised to see that the window cutouts had no frame support in the walls. This meant the windows only clamped against the internal foam. One other observation was how thin the aluminum frame rails were in the walls. Looked to be about 20 ga.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a Newmar Kountry Star DP that is right at 40 ft long. It has a Freightliner Chassis with a Cat 330 engine. It has been a really reliable coach. The interior fit and finish is still perfect and all the systems operate as they should. Had to replace the front AC unit last year. We drive it from FL to Idaho every year and regularly get about 7.5 to 8.5 MPG. Towing a Chevy Silverado 4WD. It has two slides and they fit perfectly and don't give us any trouble. We didn't mortgage our first born to buy it 4 years ago and I would buy it again if I was looking for a good used 2002-2007 unit. While some folks may think Newmars are overpriced now I believe a good used Newmar that has been driven and taken care of is a great place to start looking. They are just built right from the start and the support from the company is excellent even when you have a vintage unit like mine. 13 years old and still looks and runs like new.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:09 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 2001 Monaco Windsor and Just love it.
The r4r chassis is the one to stay away from. Ours drives like a dream and wouldnt trade it straight up for many newer coachs.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:42 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
That would have been an 11 year old coach at the time. You expect them to warranty a part that long? Unrealistic.
No. But I would expect them to contact owners as soon as they knew the boots were failing. They knew about it in the early 2000's but NEVER contacted any owners. They were planning on owners not crawling under their coach's to check the ball joints. That way no liability if enough time lapsed.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
No. But I would expect them to contact owners as soon as they knew the boots were failing. They knew about it in the early 2000's but NEVER contacted any owners. They were planning on owners not crawling under their coach's to check the ball joints. That way no liability if enough time lapsed.

This type of unaccountability doesn't surprise me at all. Big business is almost always out for themselves at the cost of others. Do they teach that in business school?
Old 04-27-2015, 02:15 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
OP....find the coach that you like inside and out, crawl under and over it, educate yourself on that coach's good and bad points ( we can help there ) get it professionally inspected ( not by seller/dealer ) negotiate the best price....That is all you can do. We all love our particular brand/model/color/engine etc. Those who don't love theirs, won't say so....By the way, I LOVE MY COACH...but I don't love Monaco....they are not all the same. That said, we Monacoers are fanatics, so if you don't want to be a fanatic....
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:25 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Motorhomes are like hay...The city slicker went to the farmer to buy some hay. The farmer said " Well, what kind of hay do you want and how much will you pay for it? "
The city slicker said " Well, I don't have much money, so I guess the cheap kind. "
The farmer handed him a shovel and pointed to the pile in the stall. The slicker said "That's horse ****! " And the farmer said...." It used to be hay.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
This type of unaccountability doesn't surprise me at all. Big business is almost always out for themselves at the cost of others. Do they teach that in business school?
Human nature does not have to be taught, nor is it limited to big business.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Monaco's, Newmar's, Holiday Rambler's, 36-40 ft range. Likes and dislikes, similarities?
We have a 2003 Safari Sahara 3753 triple slide, 350 cummins. 3 years now from 2nd owner purchased used with 16k miles through Paul Evert in Fresno, original owners purchased new at same dealership in Fresno. Jerry was our salesman.We now have 28,800 miles and mostly close by and Oregon.
Overall, if you find the right coach, floor plan should be first consideration.
All that being said, we had a "want" list with 25 items. It met most of the wants. So we pulled the trigger, even with the R4R Chassis (trailing arm) issues. Probably doesn't ride like the 42-45 tags, but once we are settled we are very happy with our layout. Can't see investing $250,000.
Don't see many our year model or floor plan (3 slide-front door) for sale, but that could be because not that many made initially.
A lot of the older Safari's I didn't like the inside layout and the newer ones than ours the quality suffered IMO. I like the looks of the Gazelle outside, but inside is a shame. Wasted space and overall poor utilization of 40 feet. We see that in a lot of the tag axles....(No sink in the toilet?)
IMO - Floor plan first, develop a want list (in writing) then condition and the rest.....well...you need to read and google as much as you can. RV shows are a waste, all new models by one dealer.
Just my 2 cents...
road glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #27

Certain Monaco /HR would poop out windshield if leveled wrong
Old 04-28-2015, 07:53 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by road glide View Post
We have a 2003 Safari Sahara 3753 triple slide, 350 cummins. 3 years now from 2nd owner purchased used with 16k miles through Paul Evert in Fresno, original owners purchased new at same dealership in Fresno. Jerry was our salesman.We now have 28,800 miles and mostly close by and Oregon.

Overall, if you find the right coach, floor plan should be first consideration.

All that being said, we had a "want" list with 25 items. It met most of the wants. So we pulled the trigger, even with the R4R Chassis (trailing arm) issues. Probably doesn't ride like the 42-45 tags, but once we are settled we are very happy with our layout. Can't see investing $250,000.

Don't see many our year model or floor plan (3 slide-front door) for sale, but that could be because not that many made initially.

A lot of the older Safari's I didn't like the inside layout and the newer ones than ours the quality suffered IMO. I like the looks of the Gazelle outside, but inside is a shame. Wasted space and overall poor utilization of 40 feet. We see that in a lot of the tag axles....(No sink in the toilet?)

IMO - Floor plan first, develop a want list (in writing) then condition and the rest.....well...you need to read and google as much as you can. RV shows are a waste, all new models by one dealer.

Just my 2 cents...

I appreciate everyones 2 cents worth.

Tags
vintage